03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

fyi:wheelersoffroad black steelies for the 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahriman
ok, got the wheels, they _look_ great. have to say, i am leery about trying them since wheeler's website says once they are installed, they are mine. have not done the lift yet (anyone want to come to santa cruz this weekend?), and still need to get some shoes, but i will keep you all posted.

00runner- yep, you are right. had my eyes in backwards when i wrote that...

tracy- whose cool 4runner is that in your new avatar?...
Man, I used to live in Santa Cruz was almost going up there this weekend to see friends... almost. Then I woke up and was broke.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Banned

woke up and then you were broke!? same thin happened to me! Fourunnabilly has all my $$!
Old 05-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SD4Runner
Man, I used to live in Santa Cruz was almost going up there this weekend to see friends... almost. Then I woke up and was broke.
did you get the number of the bar that hit you?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

ahriman,

I would come to Santa Cruz to help you out, but I'll be busy installing my body lift and sliders this weekend. Plus my wife is going to have a baby literally any day now so I can't be too far away.

You should test one of the wheels on the front of your rig before you get tires just to make sure it fits over the calipers. I don't think that would be considered "installing".
Old 05-25-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 4route
woke up and then you were broke!? same thin happened to me! Fourunnabilly has all my $$!
haha ,I made this same type of post on anotehr thread - poor billy. lol.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

ok, got the wheels, they _look_ great. have to say, i am leery about trying them since wheeler's website says once they are installed, they are mine.
michael:

just take off one wheel and then test. Make sure your calipers clear. if it does then atleast the wheels fit. the next test will be adding tires on there and then doing a full wheel lock test (left - right). depending on the spec on those wheels you'll either rub or won't. that'll be hard to tell visually w/o the tire so you'll have to do that next. I'd suggest checking the wheel and then adding 1 tire and testing it at Discount tire/America tire. If it works then order the tires if not you'll have to decide what to do next.

Discount tire/ America tire will have no problems ordering 1 wheel for testing as they want your business. Also they're very flexible in terms of helping you find the right tire as well so you can avoid rubbing.

Good luck
Old 05-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Banned

good luck, Michael - we'll be interested to hear what you discover!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

lance- i had the same idea (1 wheel) that way at least 3 are not installed. another way to look at it is to install 'em all. if they do not work then i have more fodder for a garage sale!

00runner- sounds like you have your hands full! congrats, do you know if it is a boy/girl?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

00runner- sounds like you have your hands full! congrats, do you know if it is a boy/girl?
Nope. We're going to be surprised. But I'm pulling for a boy.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Banned

ooo, congratulations!! be sure to tell us when he or she gets here!
Old 05-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 00Runner
Nope. We're going to be surprised. But I'm pulling for a boy.
when is s/he due?
Old 05-30-2004, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

i ordered some firestone destination mts today to try with the steelies. good news so far is this: we tried a 285/75/16 bridgestone dueler on the wheel and put it on my truck and it fit fine. i did not drive it around as we all agreed that it is not the tire i want anyway so why dirty it up. i will wait for the destinations to come in to do the first real test -- probably next friday.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Banned

great, great!! now find out if those will fit on the sport edition come on, you know you want to, i'm an unhuggable hairy old man who wants to know!
Old 05-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

great, great!! now find out if those will fit on the sport edition come on, you know you want to, i'm an unhuggable hairy old man who wants to know!
mm-boy, anything for u.h.o.m.
i am still not convinced that the steelies will not fit over your calipers since they do fit over mine tracy. i wonder if williemo found those part numbers?
Old 05-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Banned

well, the inquiring mind of the u.h.o.m. sure is curious about that.

i know they fit over yours, but remember i have the sport, and the sports have the larger brakes and larger calipers. oh well, we'll see. i am glad though that they fit on yours - they will look absolutely awesome! although, i guess i've never even seen a picture of your 4runner! i look forward to getting to see some pics when you get your new tires.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

well, the inquiring mind of the u.h.o.m. sure is curious about that.

i know they fit over yours, but remember i have the sport, and the sports have the larger brakes and larger calipers. oh well, we'll see. i am glad though that they fit on yours - they will look absolutely awesome! although, i guess i've never even seen a picture of your 4runner! i look forward to getting to see some pics when you get your new tires.
u.h.o.m.- that is what i am saying: since i have the 17" alloys -- same as you -- i think we may both have the larger calipers, i mean looking at mine they are HUGE. williemo said that toyota puts the larger calipers on any 4runner w/the 17" alloys. you might want to do some checking w/toyota yourself.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

tracy- have you seen these? i am keeping them in mind in case the wheelersoffroad steelies do not work out.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:39 PM

When I had the 17" Allied steel wheels, we test fit 16" AR black steelies first. They clear the back fine but do not clear the front brake calipers. The backside of the spokes *just* hit the calipers.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FirstToy
When I had the 17" Allied steel wheels, we test fit 16" AR black steelies first. They clear the back fine but do not clear the front brake calipers. The backside of the spokes *just* hit the calipers.
doh!
Old 05-31-2004, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

when is s/he due?
She's due this Thursday, but we were hoping the baby would come this weekend. So far no dice.

I got my sliders and body lift installed on Saturday. Did you get your lift installed?

Quick Reply: fyi:wheelersoffroad black steelies for the 4th gen