03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Finally ! A production 4th Gen lift !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well maybe TRD will come out with a lift before we see the pics.

Hey I have a question: I see stock 3rd gens around that look lower than others. Is it just the tires or did Toyota raise some 3rd gen suspensions? It looks like the lower ones have 29" tires and the taller ones have 31" tires.

I'm pretty sure the owners didn't lift them.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

The pics must be female.... they're playing hard to get.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:51 AM
Contributing Member

First Toy: The 4wd 3rd Gens sit higher than the two wheel drive models, I think the heavier springs give it nearly two inches of height.

As for the pics, I checked out Lefty's (Steves) profile. He hasn't posted since Aug 28th so I'm guessing that he has not seen the offers to host the pics.

I am also going to be switching my 4th Gen back to stock wheels and Revo tires. Kinda like Woody's but after I lift it so I can get bigger rubber. I'm contacting Daystar today to get the lift part number for our 4ths. I heard its available now. I'm thinking it should be lifted as soon as it arrives. Maybe a two weeks at the most from today. I will post pics as soon as I get it finished and the tires swapped.

I plan on using my black bead locks on my orange FJ40!!

Doug M.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:20 AM

OK, I knew it was more than tires on the 3rd gen! Thanks. Wonder why Toy didn't do 2" more on the 4th gen 4x4?

Glad you're getting the lift. Are you going to try and keep the XREAS? It's gotta be do-able somehow... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will pioneer that!

When I go new shoes, I'm getting GY MT/R's. Heard good things and they look so scwheet!

Keep us posted!
Old 09-23-2003, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FirstToy
[BWonder why Toy didn't do 2" more on the 4th gen 4x4?[/B]
Blame the idiots that don't know how to drive suv's and rolling it.... If not for that the 4runner would have been a few inches higher....
Old 09-23-2003, 09:50 AM

Maybe TRD will offer lift springs in the future? That would be great.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:32 AM

All,

I should have posted the pics. However, Isabel interfered

As of today

* No power - estimated repair, mid October !!!

* No phone - estimated service call October 24th

* Boiling my water

So, as of today, no internet access at home, no home email etc etc.

And I just dropped $750 of my mod fund on a generator !

:pat:

David
Old 09-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

David, Sorry to hear of your troubles with Isabel. I hope things get restored to normal as quickly as possible for you.

Thanks for hosting the pics for Steve by the way.

Take care,

Doug M.

Edit; Also, Daystar contacted me, they are waiting for one more component for their lift to be complete. They were not specific and said it will be immediately avavilable, again no time frame was given! :cry: I'll keep you guys informed!

Last edited by 02Runner; 09-24-2003 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

I thought we got the shaft when we had the big ice storm last winter that knocked our power out for 10 days. But over two weeks! My in-laws live in Norfolk and are still without power too. Sorry to hear of the calamity. At least your new rig can get you through the rubble and destruction. You can even sleep in the back of the rig, and with the 110V power inverter have a merry time 'camping' in the garage. Good thing it is only 65* outside, not 10* like last winter or 96* in August.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Bump for pics :0)
Old 09-25-2003, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

jgs:

Lefty is currently the only member with a lifted 03 4runner that I know of. I have heard that someone saw a 03 4runner in the east coast that was lifted but that was all heresay.

Lefty had his images on monty's pic but apparently the pics are not available anymore as my links for his pictures do not work anymore.

I have pm'd him to see if he can just email me his pictures and then I will post it up here for you.

Lance
Old 09-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

I have pm'd him too, and I know he was suffering from weather troubles. I'm just bumping the post to keep it current.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:15 PM

My apologies for being so absent. Going live with a new customer over Labor Day kinda makes you busy...

OK then, WHO want's to host the pix ? I got them but have no way to post them. David was kind enough to offer, but unfortunately Mother Nature got in the way (Hope everything works out for ya, Dave !).

So, PM me, or email me at leftysteve@hotmail.com, and I'll forward the pix to you, too. Just be sure to post them here so you don't get all the hate-posts...

Steve
Old 09-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Here are the pix that Lefty was able to provide:

Enjoy!

Lance
Old 09-25-2003, 10:04 PM

Re: Finally ! A production 4th Gen lift !!

and here is Lefty's original review next to the pics
Originally posted by Lefty
After what felt like eons, I finally have the production Daystar lift on my 4th Gen. It is essentially the same as the prototype that was on my truck since February, minus the "tooling" that occurred on that one. I'll save everyone from the details and pictures on the truck since that information has already been posted since that time (Hint: do a search on "Daystar").

In the end, the net lift was just over 2" (about 2 1/8", to be exact). Sooooo..... combined with the 265/75s, the lift has netted me just over 2.5" of increased ground clearance. The lowest point on the vehicle, which is the skidplate directly under the exhaust cross-over pipe, is now 10 5/8" from the ground.

In conclusion, I'm impressed by the lift. Installation was a breeze (if you have a spring compressor !), taking 3 of us less than 4 hours to complete the installation. Other than renting a spring compressor and having an alignment done, there are no other costs associated with the lift. Riding characteristics changed very little, with the exception of additional "tippiness" encountered during cornering (Lefty's note: Get wheels with less offset !). Finally, and most importantly, I never once had an issue with the spacers over more than 7000 miles of driving on and off road. Yes, I know it's only 7K miles, but based upon the condition of the prototype that we took off the truck, it could last more than 10 times as long.

'nuff said.

Steve
crap that looks good. thanks GT for hosting and Lefty for the pics!

Last edited by FirstToy; 09-25-2003 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:15 AM
Contributing Member

OMG!! Well worth the wait! I think that looks awesome!!
Thanks for getting the pics up guys!! I know what I'll be getting!!
Old 09-26-2003, 02:58 PM

To 02runner and anyone else with some input: you have the xreas system on your sport, right? You have contacted Daystar about the lift, which will give you 2" with that system? If so, you are going to leave the xreas system intact? I am going to be getting an '04 Limited (all packages come with xreas), which I would like to lift in the near future, increase tire size and get into more off-roading. I am also new to yotatech, so hello for the first time!
Thanks ahead of time for any info!

Old 09-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

HRE:

If you're planning to lift your 4runner, I highly recommend you not getting the XREAS system. The reason is because this system is cross linked through the shock (pressurized) which means that if one breaks, the other side must be replaced as well. This makes lifting the 4runner pretty difficult. One of the 4th gen owners will attempt to install the spacers with his XREAS but the likelihood of it being a success looks grim. We will know for sure as soon as Daystar releases the spacers.

Also, when lifiting, normally you replace the shock and coil thus if you had the XREAS, you'd be completely removing the system itself. I'd say save your $$ and pass on the XREAS system. This is the only reason why I didn't ge the XREAS or the REAR Air Suspension.

Currently Daystar is the only one that has a test demo out on the road. They should have the spacers on the shelf soon (like now but I guess not quite...?!)

I'm personally working with Downey for their full suspension (coilovers in the front and shock/coil in the rear). But they are lagging real BAD NOW as they haven't even started on the rear setup!!! If you guys want to start calling them and asking them, they might get the picture that we're waiting!!! I suspect that they are stalling as they don't want to invest $$ and find out there really isn't a demand. Good news is that I've seen the front coilover kit (done) and it looks dope! - so if you guys want to see a full suspension setup by Downey in the near future, hit them up a line or email and start askin q's on when their kit will be done! thanks

Lance
Old 09-26-2003, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the info! What are coilovers?
Thanks!
Old 09-26-2003, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Coilovers

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/recommend.html

scroll 3/4 way down and you'll see em. It's adjustable so you can adjust the height accordingly! anywhere from 0 - 2.5 or some goes up to 3 but not recommended as you'll ruin your cv's like crazy!

Quick Reply: Finally ! A production 4th Gen lift !!