03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks
Old 03-30-2016, 10:42 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Climate Control Dash Light Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climate Control Dash Light Replacement

My wife's 05 4runner SR5 has a light out on the display that shows the inside/outside temperature (just below the radio). It is actually the backlight that is out because it looks fine during the day. At night the screen is blank. The other thing is that it is only affects the passenger side of the display, the driver's side is fine.

Does anyone know if this is as simple as a bulb that is out or is it an LED display issue? I don't want to take it to the stealership if I don't have too since it is out of warranty. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Not many people here work on stuff that new. But it shouldnt be that hard to take apart the dash and figure out what bulb is out.

Either that or just call the parts deparment at Toyota and tell them your problem they will probably be able to get you the specific bulb and you can just replace it yourself.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by toylocost
Not many people here work on stuff that new. But it shouldnt be that hard to take apart the dash and figure out what bulb is out.

Either that or just call the parts deparment at Toyota and tell them your problem they will probably be able to get you the specific bulb and you can just replace it yourself.
I know what you mean about not working on the new stuff...I've had my 2nd gen's dash apart more times than I care to remember...but haven't had a need to do anything to my wife's 4th gen until now.

I may just have to dive in and take the dash apart. I 'd rather not tear it apart too much without some idea of what I'll find since it is my wife's truck (that could start more problems than anyone wants!). The local dealership is not so bright. If there isn't a code they can't seem to fix anything. I could just bite my lip and call 'em, I haven't hung up on them in a while.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:22 PM

This may be similar to the 3rd gens digital climate display which have removeable bulbs. Looking at the 05 parts diagram there are two bulbs back there. I am not sure on removal and etc but the prt. number I see is 90010-09017
You should check out http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ since it is geared around the 4th gen.

Last edited by Godzilla; 05-19-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
This may be similar to the 3rd gens digital climate display which have removeable bulbs. Looking at the 05 parts diagram there are two bulbs back there. I am not sure on removal and etc but the prt. number I see is 90010-09017
You should check out http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ since it is geared around the 4th gen.
I think you are right...I called the dealer and they said there are a couple of bulbs behind the display. Sounds like a painless repair...I'll check the site you referenced too.

Thanks for the input, I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:36 PM

You owe me a beer;
http://www.toyota120.com/html/center...le_lights.html
Old 05-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Ive never had a problem with the dealership not being too bright. But I kinda know all the guys there. My dad worked toyota parts for 17 years and we still go to a guy that worked there before he did. I beleive hes been there over 30 years now. But then again Ive never had a problem with the Toyota guys at any other dealership.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla

well done!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by toylocost
Ive never had a problem with the dealership not being too bright. But I kinda know all the guys there. My dad worked toyota parts for 17 years and we still go to a guy that worked there before he did. I beleive hes been there over 30 years now. But then again Ive never had a problem with the Toyota guys at any other dealership.
We are on our third fuel pump in 14 months. While they keep replacing them, they can't seem to figure out why the pumps are burning up. I've also had a couple bad experiences with a particular service advisor. The long and short of it is that unless a code shows up on their diagnosis computer he assumes nothing has happened. It is a little frustrating and it influences my opinion of this particular dealership.

I will say this about Toyota though, and I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this...we paid to have the first fuel pump fixed with an independent mechanic (we didn't know it was under the powertrain warranty). When that pump burned up we went to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty. We then called Toyota directly (not the dealership, the mfg.), explained what happened and sent in a copy of the bill for the first pump...A month or so later Toyota sent us a check for the amount of the repair we paid out of pocket since it should have been covered by warranty!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:27 PM

Ya thats what happens when you call Toyota Corp. If you ever have problems with the dealership call corp. they really hate it when dealers are rude or wrong. They will definetly straighten them out and you will get your stuff done right without further hassle.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 AM

Just a follow up. The link above worked great and this was a VERY simple fix. Literally, it took less than 2 minutes. The bulb that was out on mine was a different number than the ones listed on the link. If you pull it out and run up to the toyota parts desk, they can find it on a diagram. Thanks for the help guys...my wife no longer wants to trade her 4runner in anymore...
Old 05-22-2009, 12:32 PM

She wanted to trade her 4runner in over 1 lightbulb?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the write-up. I've had a bulb flickering for the past 6 months, and even though I have the service manuals I haven't got around to doing it. Now I will.