03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4runner vs Wrangler

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now that ive officially decided on the 4runner had anyone been snorkeling in their 4runner...or does anyone know of any cheap mods for snorkeling
Old 08-10-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by INFINITY
i dont care for the smugness that comes with all of the jeeps. when someone owns one they think they are indestructible. i would buy a 4runner over the jeep, even if it had no motor in it. most of the people on this toyota site will tell you to get the 4runner, it is just sound advice.
I find the hypocritical at best. Toyota owners are the exact same way. Look at the second post on this thread. Sorry to jump on your post, but I hate when Toyota owners say that and then they says their vehicles are the best of the best and there is nothing better. My ZJ has been awesome to me, granted she gets ty gas milage but that my fault(need to regear and use less skinny pedal).

Over all, Toyota has a better fit and finish. But for offroad ability stock and for easier build I give it to Jeep. Most Jeeps come with SFA's up until the Liberty and new Grand Cherokee's.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Contributing Member

^
With no exaggeration, during the seasons here, i see a jeep on a bi-weekly basis thats broke down on the the side of the freeway. This includes older and newer models. I can't help but realize how many i actually see.

There called "heeps" for a reason.

Toyota's have a thing called 'reputation' for their 'reliability', unlike jeeps.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:19 PM

jeeps fall apart toyotas are made to stay together if you want it to be pretty good off roading stock 4runner get a 3rd gen...4th gen looks like it takes alot of mods to make it as good as a 3rd gen stock...forget the jeep idea to many bad thing happen to them that shouldnt happen.

plus your on yotatech not jeeptech what do you think everyone was gonna say lol
Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CASTAIC 4RUNNER
plus your on yotatech not jeeptech what do you think everyone was gonna say lol
But when someone says "Jeeps suck. Toyota's dont.", that does the original poster absolutely no good.

On an issue like this, the original poster needs to know specifically why the Toyota is better than the Jeep, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are, instead of a useless biased blanket statement like "Jeeps suck".

I've known many people that loved their Jeeps despite having a few problems with them, and 2 were Cherokee owners that managed to get well over 200,000 miles. And don't forget that some Toyotas have had problems, such as the head gasket issue that the 3.0 had. But I do agree that overall Toyotas do tend to be better vehicles than Jeeps.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You simply can not non-bias-ly compare a Jeep to a Toyota. Especially not the 4Runner to the new Wrangler. Anyone who says that Jeeps fall apart that has not owned/driven one should definitly do so before you say which one is better. My family had a 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0. That thing was the DEFINITION of reliable. Never left us stranded. We drove it till she had 289,000miles on it. I still see our old Jeep driving around town original tranny, rebuilt motor @ 296,000miles. It now has 345,000miles. As far as the Toyota is concerned, the new 4Runners are very nice inside. And if you want some sort of a light duty off roader, and daily driver, I'd recommend one. The Wrangler is a great rig, but if you want to drive it everyday, and not just off road, you're gonna be uncomfortable. You just cannot compare these two, especially not on YOTATECH. This is a Toyota site, I highly doubt if you'll find any one on here who will actually recommend a Jeep. It depends on what you want your rig for. Stop by a dealership.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:16 PM

also it is a lot of fun in the winter time trying to get that thing warmed up when its 20 degrees outside and all you have is some cloth rapped around you, and you know the wind works its way arouund those seems.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Let me add my .02
And that is safety.

Before the 4Runner I totaled the previous vehicle.
Before that I had considered getting either a Sports Coupe or a Jeep Wrangler.
But when I looked at the accident I was in and then imagined what it would have been like if I had been in a Sports Coupe or Jeep Wrangler, I could have been seriously injured.

So I decided to get a bigger vehicle, and I can honestly say, I have gotten a lot of use with the extra space.

Also, IIRC, In an article my mother sent to me, the 4Runner was rated in the top 3 of vehicles LEAST LIKELY TO GET YOU KILLED IN AN ACCIDENT.
So everyday I get into my 4Runner with the piece of mind.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:57 PM

Well i have owned both. I had a 95 wrangler and now have a 98 4runner. They in my mind are on opposite ends of the spectrum. The wranger was the worst vehicle i owned. The 4runner the best. Unless your building a strict trail rig, the 4runner is better. Better on the highway, warmer, cooler in the summer, and you can sleep in the back!

~patrick
Old 08-11-2007, 09:21 PM

i think someone just wanted to start a fight on here!

joking aside, get whatever YOU like.

Better on the highway, warmer, cooler in the summer, and you can sleep in the back!
i totally agree with patrickryanb however

Last edited by Knuckles; 08-11-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

I own both...my first car was a '79 full size Jeep Cherokee (actually my Dad's)...it had been abused and it showed...not reliable.

The first car that I really owned was my '86 CJ-7. To let you know how much I LOVE it, I still have it. It has been extremely reliable and has taken me some great places in its stock form. It has 123,000 miles and was my daily driver for 10 years. The my only complaint was driving it in highway traffic, but the new Jeeps are much easier to drive.

The only issues I ever had with my Jeep were with the A/C (it's hot as heck here in Texas). I have never had any problems with the engine or drive train.

I now have a 2000 4Runner and it is much more comfortable, but like you said....I miss the removable top...well not that much, I still have my Jeep so I get the best of both worlds.

Toyota is the most reliable, but I took real good care of my Jeep so it did not give me any problems. The 4Runner is like a luxury car to me...it rides great, is cooler inside (because of the better insulation), and is quieter. My Dad has an '07 Wrangler, and it drives very comfortably...as a matter of fact, I tell him it is not a real Jeep! FYI he also has a Land Cruiser.

My Advice: If you are young, have no family, and don't need the room of a station wagon, get the Jeep. You can always get a 4Runner later when you out grow the size of the Jeep....and maybe your wife will let you keep it. The '06 and back Unlimiteds will be collectors items one day! Man I wish I had gotten a Scrambler!

If you are older (and by this I mean less tolerant of not being comfortable...I am starting to become this way), or you need the space of a bigger car, get the 4runner.

If Daddy is buying it and you have absolutely no buget to get a car fixed if it does break, get the 4Runner.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 08-12-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 96redtoy
also it is a lot of fun in the winter time trying to get that thing warmed up when its 20 degrees outside and all you have is some cloth rapped around you, and you know the wind works its way arouund those seems.
i live in houston...and the coldest it gets around here is around 55
Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

i have owned both. 95 wrangler and a 2002 4runner. I loved the jeep with the top off but the 4runner is the way to go. I was working on my jeep constantly. The 4runner will do anything i want it to off road wise and its dependable. If you will be traveling on the road you will want the 4runner.

My vote- 4runner
1. comfort
2. dependability
3. reputation
Old 08-13-2007, 06:45 AM

I would think that since its your first car, you will probably crash or ding it up some unless you're super careful and already a good driver. That being said, the 4runner will have better road manners meaning it should handle and track better, and probaby has better brakes. But if you are really into offroading and have a few bucks to spare, go with the Jeep. 4th gen runners are decent off road, but to make them good off road, you need buku bucks for mods, where with the Jeep you don't as much.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlueWave
I would think that since its your first car, you will probably crash or ding it up some unless you're super careful and already a good driver. That being said, the 4runner will have better road manners meaning it should handle and track better, and probaby has better brakes. But if you are really into offroading and have a few bucks to spare, go with the Jeep. 4th gen runners are decent off road, but to make them good off road, you need buku bucks for mods, where with the Jeep you don't as much.
I agree. I have a '06 and love it. The 4.0L engine is awesome and I want put a supercharger on it. However, it won't be easy to lift like my '86 4Runner was. I actually had the chance to drive an base model '06 Jeep Wrangler for a week and I didn't like it. Too many other jeepers waving at me!!!! J/k!! Too cramped between the steering wheel and dash board. Engine was slow, but that's because it's out of a minivan. I'm pretty sure it had an actual "shift lever" for the transfer case instead of the stupid dial thing in my truck. I did like the fact I could turn the traction control on and off in the Jeep. Can't do that in my 4Runner and that irritates me. Granted, if I slam the gas pedal through the floor board around a corner the truck accelerates and doesn't loose any traction. It's suppose to work that way and hey atleast it does! There's times when I want to "play" on dirt and would like to be able to turn that crap off. It does dissengage, but only in 4Lo. I like the room of my 4Runner, so does my two kids and wife. If I was single? I'd still have a Yota!!! lol!! It would be a lot cooler, but hey I'd have more time too!!! If you get the jeep, don't get the base model, those really do suck!!!

My advice: Do the dealership thing. If you really have a lot of time on your hands rent one of each for a week.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

the nice part about the 4 runner: it is one of the few vehicles you can lower the back window.

I understand the topless vehicle love, I want another old landcruiser, but the next best thing is a 4runner, in the winter I love to lower all the windows and open the sunroof, it gives me plenty of the "wind in your hair" thrills. Yes winter in phoenix is great.

When you test drive the runner, open her up and see what you think. The great part is if it gets dusty or rainy, you just roll up the windows, unlike the Jeep.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Check these out:

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/tr...28339010848601

http://www.automotive.com/features/9...802/index.html
Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 AM

Hello, number one I am a Toyota owner and have been one for over twenty five years, most of them had over 100k miles on them when I bought them, one had over 200k when I bought it. 99.99 percent of the time I have no problems at all. I have never owned a Jeep but some of my friends have and they for the most part didn't buy another one. if you went ot a jeep site, what do you think they would say about Toyota ? I am number one a Chevy guy, but I can't buy a chevy that will out last my toyota, You can take a toyota anywhere and they just last just about forever. plain and simple. how amny jeep can you buy with over 200k miles and then sell it for almost a 50% profit, a clean 50% profit, buy the way it was a 1991 Landcruiser it ahs 234k when I sold it. My current Toyota is a 03 4Runner sport edition that had 77k when I got it. good luck with what ever you purchase.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:12 AM

I can relate to you a little bit so I will give you some of my perspective.

Where i live... (which is certainly not texas ) I notice that a good majority of people drive luxury cars or SUVs. One of the points that really grabs me with the 4runners is the Limited package and how it can really hold its ground even in the luxury department. I mean I have seen some NICE looking interriors and some comfy looking leather. But at the same time you can have a mild 2-4" lift and rock some 33" muds and it will still look aggressive and be very very capable off-road, yet without loosing its level of sophistication, unlike jeeps which just look like boxes

I have never been a fan of daimler chrysler. My aunt sold her Mercedes CLK class only after 20k miles (purchased brand new) due to some strange transmission problems. Our Chrysler mini-van that I grew up with had a ton of problems and we sold that at 60k or so my dad just tells me (I was too young to know back then). I will probably avoid daimler chrysler products for a while..

Like you, when I first got my 4runner, I had the choice between a Jeep and a Toyota. It was the Grand Cherokee (ZJ) VS the 4Runner. The 4runner was an awsome choice and it drives extremely well at 142k with no problems what-so ever! Plus it looks bitchin and is rare to find lifted compared to Jeeps so you know you have a much more unique vehicle.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that soft top is overrated. get a 4runner. preferably an 85

Quick Reply: 4runner vs Wrangler