03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2003 4Runner V6, valve lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine, too

I have a tapping/knocking in my engine, and I have been worried about it for a while. mechanics seem to think it's OK, and now that I hear other's have the same issues I am less worried. I keep posting this site about piston slap but I see now that the link seems to be slow or not working. Try doing a search for piston slap, because it sounds to me like that's what is going on in my truck.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 06-26-2003 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:15 AM

Mish

What do you drive a Sport, SR5 or limited. I heard the ticking sound on a sport 4runner. Believe me, if you had the ticking sound you would hear it.
I’ve also heard Toyota is in the process of redesigning a exhaust manifold that is thicker to keep the sound in. It will be ready in 4 - 5 months.

Hope this helps. !!
Old 06-26-2003, 08:17 AM

I have the poor man's package, SR5
I bought V6 because to me it is better package than the full time 4WD with V8, which sounds to me like 14 miles per gallon. I got 18.9MPG on my first tank of gas and it is damn good on a brand new motor.

Anyways, I think this ticking has nothing to do with the trim package.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:33 AM

I know the trim package has nothing to do with the ticking sound. Just wanted to know what you drove. I really like my SR5 V6 4 runner also, it has the sun roof 17 in wheels ect. The leather seats don’t work for me because I live on a ranch & I do a lot of 4wheeling and hunting and I didn’t want to babe the seats. I also didn’t care for the full time 4WD with the V8 4 runner. I bet that the V8 4runner would of gotten better gas mileage if it wasn’t in full time 4WD. I don’t know what Toyota was thinking…
Old 07-10-2003, 07:54 AM

Well, my truck just hit 1400 miles and that engine noise is not going away. It still pings and clicks in all kinds of different ways, sometimes causing some vibration, sometimes being nice and quiet except for the injector noise, which is music to my ears. Anyways, my 98 E320 with 60K miles is tons softer and smoother as well as my 1982 Jaguar V12, also no clicking, or tapping.

I guess this is what I paid for, a noisy rattling truck that is supposed to last forewer I like 4Runner and if I have to live with some clicking and ticking I will.

How about your V6, 4.0L engines guys, do we have anyone with absolutely quiet new V6 here?
Old 07-13-2003, 05:55 PM

So I changed factory oil to 10W30 Valvoline Fully Synthetic at 1500 miles and lifter noise did not go away. It is definite, coming from the left bank and every mechanic I know hears it fine. Tomorrow I am taking my truck to dealer where I bought it and if they give me another ("we hear nothing, some rattle is normal") I will have third attempt to get my car fixed under warranty which will qulify me to have it bought back, or replaced under our state lemon law if independent licensed expert confirms issue.

Kinda sad, I do like my truck very much, except for the cheapest ass Bridgestone tires and the damn rattle.

Last edited by Mish; 07-13-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:27 PM

I took mine in...

I took my Sport V6 into the dealer and they kept it for the day. They checked the valve clearances and said everything was fine (they thought they needed to be shimmed). I too have been advised that it is in-fact an exhaust manifold leak and that a fix is in the works, however the dealer has no clue when it will be available. Hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:40 PM

Thank you very much for the info, at least I am not alone out there!
Old 07-14-2003, 09:46 AM

Exclamation

I hope everyone has called Toyota Tech Support to document this "noise" (manifold) problem. The more its recorded, that better our chances for a timely cure.... I hope!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:40 AM

Well, I just came back from Toyota dealer and they held my truck for complete engine overall. It turns out they had a batch of bad pistons in March-June made V6 motors and now they have to replace them on all clicking trucks.....

Got your attention didn't I???
Anyways, they listened to my clicky motor and stated that there is a service bulletin on that noise. Apparently it has something to do with the accessory belt and some pulleys that produce this sound. I doubt that this is the case, but tomorrow they will replace all the pulleys and belt and noise should go away for good.
Will keep you posted.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:24 PM

ticking or belt noise?

Just a quick question. Ive heard 2 seperate problems, 1 being the ticking noise and another being a noise from the pulleys. Are they saying that the pulley is responsible for the ticking noise?
Old 07-16-2003, 02:56 PM

That is exactly the case, they said that this noise is produced by one of the puley and will go away when they replace those.

Sounds like BS to me, but I will have to let them try. If not there is always lemon law at my disposal
Old 07-16-2003, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should have bought the V8
Old 07-16-2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Mish
Anyways, they listened to my clicky motor and stated that there is a service bulletin on that noise.
I was on the NHTSA site last night and didn't find a TSB on this issue. Maybe they were feeding you a line of crap.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:17 AM

No, it did not sound like that to me, however it will be easy to check when I get my truck back today and listen to it.

Also, they said it just came out, so mybe it is not posted at NHTSA yet.
So far I have to admit that Toyota service is lot more pleasant to deal with than Mitsubishi.... www.deadeclipse.com
Old 07-17-2003, 05:38 AM

:pat:

Holy Crap!

Looking forward to hearing how the piston swap goes.... If you can get the TSB number from your dealer, that would be helpful on my end.

Would also like to have your dealer's service department number so the techs on my end can call if need be....

I'll email the TSB for the Pully modification later (it's out in my truck). The mod is to eliminate the occassional belt squealing noise. Puts a shim behind the pully to better align it and adds a newly designed belt too. I haven't seen the kit, so I'm not 100% sure about all the details....

Scott
Old 07-17-2003, 05:55 AM

My 2003 SR5 has 3500 miles and I dont get the pings & tapping you guy describe. I think my engine is quiet for a 4runner. I would like to know what kind of oi and gas you guys are using.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by Atomicsmurf
:pat:

Holy Crap!

Looking forward to hearing how the piston swap goes.... If you can get the TSB number from your dealer, that would be helpful on my end.

Would also like to have your dealer's service department number so the techs on my end can call if need be....

I'll email the TSB for the Pully modification later (it's out in my truck). The mod is to eliminate the occassional belt squealing noise. Puts a shim behind the pully to better align it and adds a newly designed belt too. I haven't seen the kit, so I'm not 100% sure about all the details....

Scott
Piston thing was a joke!!!
About them pulleys, I think I am being ran around, cos they did mention some shimming that needs done in accordance with this TSB, so if this has only to do with belt squeeling than my rattling will not go away and I will have an official lemon made by TOYOTA, unbelievable!!!!
Old 07-17-2003, 06:35 AM

Look what I just found:

Make : TOYOTA Model : 4 RUNNER Year : 2003
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V146000 Recall Date : APR 09, 2003
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 29482
Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH V6 ENGINES, THE FUEL PULSATION DAMPER, LOCATED ON THE FUEL RAIL, MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY ASSEMBLED, CAUSING A DIAPHRAGM IN THE PULSATION DAMPER TO BE DAMAGED. IF THE DIAPHRAGM FAILS, FUEL MAY LEAK.
Consequence:
THIS COULD RESULT IN AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE IF A HEAT SOURCE OR AN IGNITION SOURCE IS PRESENT.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE PULSATION DAMPER. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.
Notes:
TOYOTA RECALL NO. SSC 30C. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
Old 07-17-2003, 10:18 AM

Just got my car back. They raplaced whole bunch of pulleys and some other stuff including drive belt, but that NOISE IS STILL THERE just like it was!
They pulled up another V6 and ran it against my truck making sure that I am not crazy and the other truck was nice and smooth, ofcourse immediately I asked to hava that truck instead and was shut down like a natsi pilot in 1945
Anyways, this Tuesday I am bringing it back and now they are going to have their best technician work on it, they even give me a loaner car this time, even though before Iw as told that Toyota does not provide those for people that spend $30K on their product.
I will keep you all posted.

Quick Reply: 2003 4Runner V6, valve lifter noise