86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Yes...Its another lift question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sosborne
Since no one is answering my question I did more reading and have kinda figured out that the FJ80 coils give you around 2-3 inches over stock...Is that correct? How pregressive are those springs? I tow a small trailer from time to time.

Now. Should I run a Panhard drop bracket? And should I use a 9" or 10" shock? I know that I will have to lower the LPSV and get a longer brake cable. And the ultimate question is how is my ride going to be on the highway?
One more thing to keep in mind. With coils the rate is not progressive like it is with leaf springs. The truck will sag some with the trailer. Only something like an air shock can re-level the truck when loaded.

The lift you are purchasing should have a nice highway ride.

Frank
Old 01-20-2008, 11:37 AM

You don't "need" to relocate the LSPV but it is a good idea. If you tow, then I would recommend it.

You can use the original bolt holes as a template. You will need to be able to cut and drill steel to fabricate this. It should not be very difficult. I recommend you lift the axle mount as opposed to lowering the valve.

Now as to your confusion. This is great example of why there is not one absolute answer. You carry loads, tow, and want to know how the truck will sit. Well often you will see testimonials from people who don't do either or have bumpers that weigh more,etc... As a result, we can not simply tell you exactly how your truck will sit unless when loaded with a trailer we have never seen and know nothing about. Unless someone just happens to have your exact set up and situation we can guess but that's about it. But it's all good. We all face that when modding our trucks.

Anyway, I think Wabfab will take care of you. You will likely be happy with that kit. Many of us run variations on it and are happy.

Frank
Old 01-20-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may seem like a dumb question, but: Why are you even talking about getting a lift for the front? As you've said, you are only running 31x10.50's, and obviously you don't need a lift to run those, the only thing that doing th bj lift will get you is a small increase in ground clearance, and a little more travel and a higher nter of gravity on an already tippy 4runner, from what you have talked about what you use the truck for, it doesn't seem to me like you need those things,

I can understand wanting to get your truck bigger for offroading and to fit bigger tires, but it seems like you aren't going to do any of those things. Most of the guys that I see do the BJ spacers, do it to get enough clearance to run 33's without having to buy a stupid bracket lift (and for the ground clearance and travel)

If you plan on doing 33's, then I would say go for it, but it just seems like kind of a waste right now

For the back, I have no idea what springs you should go with, as I have never owned a coil-sprung 4runner, now if you can't find any springs that aren't going to give you a ton of rake, and you plan on doing the BJ spacers to even it out, that is understandable
Old 01-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was kinda thinking that a reasonable amount of lift in the back would put a big rake towards the front. I was thinking about 33's but I am not sure what they wll do to the gas mileage.

I was putting alot of thought towards the airshock idea after you metioned it Frank. What about airbags? Would that work the same? I am kinda at the end of my budget right now. So if I could add airbags when the weather breaks that would be ideal.

Again. I try to be well read before I ask questions...But the varying info out there makes it tough to decide.

I will reward all the info with plenty of pics of my rebuild. I am going to be doing lots of stuff.....And who doesn't enjoy a good build thread with lots of pics?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:57 PM

BTW I would love to do more offroading. But in Upstate NY we are limited to what we can do. Not to mention I don't think I have a capable ride to hang with the local club right now. Once I get things built a little better I would like to take a trip over to Paragon.

Offroading is the eventual plan. Otherwise why do any of this stuff?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Ok, one thing, the lift you are looking into is good for more than just larger tires. Actually, the compression travel is not reduced so the wheel can travel upwards just as far as it could before. It will just have a longer distance to go to get there (so can take a bigger hit). That means if you go larger than a 33X10.5 you'll need to trim wheel wells or get a body lift. (Yes, you can run a 33" tire with no lift, you will want to regear though)

That said, the lift increases the flex and articulation of the truck. I wheel this lift and my flex on the trail is much improved. In fact, this lift has surprised me on what a 94 4runner can do with worn 31's and open diffs. The on road ride is excellent. In the sand, I can catch some serious air and drive off unscathed.

Now, air bags Vs. shocks. I have used air bags on other vehicles but only air shocks on the 4runner. The key here is whether or not you run the air bags cross linked. With air shocks, they come with both shocks fed from the same air valve. This means the shocks don't care if one goes up a few inches and the other down, the total air volume is the same. The air bag kit I used had two separate valves meaning one could not bleed air into the other. On the car based SUV this went on, that was great because it lessened body roll and increased load capacity. On our trucks though, isolated air bags will kill rear axle articulation and probably 70% of your articulation comes from the rear axle. Also, on the SUV (Equionox) I had to machine some pucks to take up space because the air bags weren't long enough to be effective. You will want to measure the gap inside the coil to see if the bags will even work.

So basically, a set of Gabriel air shocks which are about an inch longer than stock work well with coil spacers. They do firm up the ride a bit but it's very tolerable. I like the set up.

Wheeling this weekend, I put some shame on a Jeep with open diffs and new BFG mudders, sway bars connected, on this trail because I disconnected both sway bars and run this lift.

Not to add confusion but I have to relate this. I showed up to the SD 4wheeler's Superstition 10 run yesterday with minutes to spare to get on a run. I miscalculated how far away the staging area was. Having sway bar disconnects front and rear made the difference between going with the group or missing it. I run 4crawler disconnects and I like them.

Frank
Old 01-22-2008, 02:58 PM

With the WabFab lift package should I run longer shocks? Such as the Ranchos that are recommended for the BJspacer/LC coil lift?

Thanks
Scott
Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sosborne
With the WabFab lift package should I run longer shocks? Such as the Ranchos that are recommended for the BJspacer/LC coil lift?

Thanks
Scott
We recommend new longer shocks with all IFS lift kits to get the most out of your suspension lift, as shocks are a vital part of your suspension.
http://www.wabfab.org/products/IFSlifts/IFS.htm

Old 01-22-2008, 03:23 PM

Sweet Thanks. I will be calling Monday to order.