Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

woooo car accident!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha yes i know it couldve been a lot worse...
Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
good to know your okay man
Old 05-28-2009, 07:46 PM

thanks... i always thought something like that would hurt more...
Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not trying to diminish your hopes or anything...
... but good luck thinking you're not responsible for all the damage to the car, both front and back... and even the guy in the Ford could complain his bumper is scraped or damaged. Just 'cause you hit the rear and pushed the car into another doesn't mean you're not responsible for the damage to the front.

I've been through the same situation- actually not: got blamed for damage to the front of a vehicle when there wasn't a vehicle in front for that car to impact. Owner tried to claim damage to the insurance company but forgot to comment on it to the police officer that took the report on scene. In the same accident, was blamed for damaging tail lights, hatchback glass, muffler, bumper, etc. on a Sentra and the only damage to my Scirocco was a broken turn signal lens and a headlight that had a filament break in the accident. Cops took pics, fortunately. I fought it with the DMV and got dismissed but what saved me was the minimal damage to my german beer can compared to the 1700 damage to the japanese beer can.

In California, the guy in back is responsible all the damage to every vehicle damaged in the accident unless you can prove the damage to another vehicle was pre-existing and not a result of your impact.
Innocent until guilty- everyone else is innocent until you prove they're guilty of fraud.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-28-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:08 PM

oh alright...i gotchya i was just going off of what 3 people told me
Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks totaled ill give u $250 bucks for it
Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 PM

check the auto repair thread link in my sig...

my damage was WAY more extensive... but just gives you a lil hint at what what's involved
Old 05-28-2009, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
looks totaled ill give u $250 bucks for it
$275
Old 05-29-2009, 05:28 AM

Abe, I guess it must be different in Cali where the OP is from, but I know here in FL if I knock you into the car in front of you, your responsible for the front of your vehicle and the rear of the one you hit because you didnt leave enough room.

Last edited by superdave; 05-29-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:19 AM

ha! its not totalled. and no im not selling it or anything silly like that... and superdave, thats what i was told, i dont know why they would have the law where you have to see the bottom of peoples tires if it didnt take place in this action.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

You slid for 200 feet going 45??????? Do you have one brake working in the rear or something? I have driven in just about all 50 states and since moving to Cali 3 years ago I can honestly say it is by far the worst. All I have to say is that if I'm ever totally stopped and someone smashes into the back of me they better hope to god my doors jam shut or I'm knocked out because there's gonna be a can of whoopass opened up especially if my family is with me. People drive way to fast and follow way to closely around here. Sorry man but rear ending people is at the top of my stupidest things you can do while driving list.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:40 AM

its really like 200 ft. i just locked up my brakes and the type of pavement that it is made me slide even more... i will try and get a picture of the rubber on the ground, i just didnt have time to stop, i hit him around 20-25 i think. maybe less since i dont have very much damage done to my truck

Last edited by kawasakimoto_7; 05-29-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh hell we do more damge than that wheeling..... just ask Swampthing, he can kill a rig on flat sand at 10mph.....

Glad you're ok. That damage is easy to fix and a lot cheaper if you do it yourself.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Find a high estimate and use the money for some bad ass parts!!! It's going to insurance no matter what. Might as well take advantage of the people whose paychecks you pay.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
there u go my freind had some lady back into the corner of has ranger little tiny dent they wrote him a check for like $1600 dollars he payed 1200 for the truck
Old 05-29-2009, 03:52 PM

hahah wow (on the ranger story), and that money will go to my aftermarket bumper since mine is kinda messed up. and ive done more meaningful damage while wheeling too; well kinda i sunk my engine under water so it got all f'd up and what not...
Old 05-29-2009, 04:05 PM

meh.
In Cali, if you damage another vehicle in an accident, you are responsible for all the damage to that vehicle unless you can prove the damage was pre-existing or not caused by your accident, like I said earlier.

So, if the Lancer was fine before the accident and that accident caused damage to the rear (obviously true since it was rear-ended) and pushed said Lancer in to another vehicle (F150) thus causing frontal damage to the Lancer, the damage to the front of the Lancer is a result of the accident and consequently, and deservedly so, caused by, and ultimately the responsibility of, the person who impacted the Lancer from the rear.

Everyone needs to stop and think:

Say you've got your Toyota stopped behind a flat-bed tow truck... and someone hits you from behind and pushes your Toyota in to the tow truck causing your radiator, hood, grill, bumper, fenders and just about everything up front to get damaged, but no damage to the tow truck.

Who is responsible for the damage to the front of your truck?

The guy that rear-ended you?

Guess not... according to what everyone here is saying.

California law doesn't state you have to stop far enough away from the vehicle in front of you to prevent damage to your vehicle or the vehicle in front of you in the case of your vehicle being rear-ended.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-29-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
...California law doesn't state you have to stop far enough away from the vehicle in front of you to prevent damage to your vehicle or the vehicle in front of you in the case of your vehicle being rear-ended.
California law states you drive safe according to conditions... as do all states, if I remember correctly.
If the sun is in your face, blinding you, California law implies you drive safe ... which means you slow down and give yourself enough room to react to an unexpected situation.

And with all due respect, that should be the reaction of everyone in a similar situation. If you can't see clearly what is in front of you, slow down so you have time to react to what you do see.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:24 PM

i dont know were you hear that from but my dad was rear ended on the freeway like 10 years ago at about 70 mph and his insurance paid for the damage to his car and the car infront of him because he was stopped too close to the car infront of him that he hit, but i guess i will see what happens...either way i still have 2 points on my record now.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:31 PM

Yeah, his insurance paid for the damage to the car in front of him and his damage as well. Bet dad had Comprehensive and Collateral damage coverage as well, no? And I bet Dad's insurance went after the guy that hit him, right?
Otherwise, basic Liability coverage covers the damage caused to vehicle(s) you cause damage to.

People need to learn the different levels of coverage and what that means when an accident occurs.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-29-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: woooo car accident!