86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Woohooo new timing chain this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woohooo new timing chain this weekend.

Well i figured it would be a good idea to slap a new one in the truck. sense it is the original motor and all componants. so does brand matter? also will this give my truck more power at all? and stop the ticking? (the valves are all set perfect i think the chain tensenors broke and the chain is slaping the head. at least that is what i was told)
Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A new chain on my 91 solved a lot of noise problems.
It may or may not quiet the valve train down though. Rocker arms and rocker shafts do wear out and no amount of valve adjustment other than way-too-tight will quiet that down.

A new chain may give you a tad bit of boost in the low rpms, since a stretched chain causes the valves to open a tad later than they should and will move the power-band higher up the RPM range... not much higher, but a bit... so having the valves open at the right time can affect the 'feel' of the engine but not necessarily the overall power of the engine.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That would be the guides that broke. Were it the tensioner, you'd have a big mess.....bent valves and going nowhere.

I'd like to think that brand does matter. However, a buddy of mine has used nothing but O'Reilly kits and has never had any problems. But, he also knows when to park it. That would be when the chain starts to rattle. I think a lot of failures and subsequent damage is due to people not knowing the signs and/or taking their chances. (I USED to be a prime example of that)

About the noise....
Abe is right. A new chain may quiet the valves down quite a bit especially since there's a lot of slack in the old one. There always is if you've already busted the guide/s.

If that doesn't do it for you, you can adjust the valves tighter than factory specs with no harm. I tightened mine down .07 on the intake and .011 on the exhaust. Some people have gone tighter than that even on the exhaust as those are usually the ones to make the most noise. Engnbldr has suggested .07 and .09 with no problems on stock engines. But, no need to go that tight if they quiet down with looser tolerances.

Other thing.....some have found the adjuster studs to have worn a pattern where they contact the valve tappets. If you find something like that on yours, you'll likely get variances in your adjustments. In that case, time for new studs. Fortunately, they're pretty inexpensive. I put new ones on mine. Nice and quiet and plenty of pep.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oooh... matthew... my hero
Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
"Loneliness is a power that we possess to give or take away forever..."

(No google allowed....)