Sponsored by: DashLynx

Won't start - no click, no nothing

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Won't start - no click, no nothing

So, I go to start the truck the other morning, turn the key and .... NOTHING. No slow crank, no click-click-click-click - NOTHING. So, I put it in gear, push in the clutch and let it roll down the driveway and pop the clutch to bump start it, no problem. The truck starts just fine at work to come home. Next morning, no start, but no issue after work. Next morning, starts fine. This morning, no start. On the way home from work, no start (had to bump start it in the parking lot).

I've searched around, and most people's problems are getting the click-click-click-click - didn't see anything where you don't even get that.

Starter solenoid? Ignition switch?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:36 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Starter, friend of mine had the same problem. Truck starts intermittently or not at all, turned out his starter was going.. I would check out the solenoid first though.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:38 PM
tc
Contributing Member

But if it was the starter, wouldn't you hear the solenoid clicking? Is the solenoid built into the starter?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No startiee

Originally Posted by tc
But if it was the starter, wouldn't you hear the solenoid clicking? Is the solenoid built into the starter?
Not necessarly,.. I've seen battery posts cause that problem. Also is it a stick or auto? If it's a stick it could be that clutch pedal switch.
Pull that cover plate behind the passenger front tire,...disconnect the solenoid spade terminal and connect a 6' wire with the same type spade terminal to the starter. Touch the other end to the battery + and see how many times it works, or doesn't work. If it clicks everytime I would be looking elsewhere then the starter.
Get back to basics first and save some time troubleshooting.

Last edited by scrid; 03-19-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Stick (kinda hard to bump start an auto LOL)

I thought maybe it was the pedal switch, so I tried hitting the clutch start cancel, but no change.

Note that the truck spent 13 winters in OH road salt....
Old 03-19-2007, 07:50 PM

my buddies civic had this problem, and it would up being loose connections to the battery, make sure their tight...it can be just that easy...
Old 03-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

You could just have a dead spot on your solenoid.
I have taken others apart and rotated the bushing or what not around and got some more time out of a starter in the past.
just a thought
Old 03-19-2007, 07:59 PM

I had the same problem with mine first about a year and a half ago, it was dirty battery posts. then i had it happen again 2 months ago, that time it was the starter, try the cheap solution first then try the starter.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:31 AM

like reggie said, you can get more life out of a starter by doing what he said. ive also just replaced the contacts where the plunger hits em cuz they were worn badly and its like a new starter.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
You can get left & right starter contacts from the dealer for about $28. the biggest PITA is getting the dang starter out. FIRST, double check (i.e., remove & clean) all connections, ESPECIALLY the grounds between engine & frame.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 03-20-2007 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:55 AM

go to a starter rebuild shop, i picked up the contacts for $5 total!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by shansethp
go to a starter rebuild shop, i picked up the contacts for $5 total!

Yeah; I got new washers, nuts,etc. with the dealer model, so it was a bit more expensive.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Have you checked to see if you are getting any parasitic draw that is draining the battery overnight? I just went through this on my work truck, my alternator was pulling power from the battery when it was sitting, would work during the day, but once it had a chance to sit overnight, it would drain the battery enough that I wouldn't get any kind of click or anything when I turned the key in the morning.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 PM
tc
Contributing Member

It's now not starting after work

Does bump starting it hurt anything?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think bump starting it will hurt anything. What does your voltmeter on your gauge cluster say once you get it started? Sounds like your alternator crapped the bed. Sometimes when they go, something happens where when the key is off, the battery is still sending power to the alternator. Just happened to me on my work truck, it was still showing that it was charging once I got it started, but within a couple of days it was pushing less and less volts. The main problem was the parasitic draw when the key was off.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:34 PM
tc
Contributing Member

After work, it wouldn't start so I checked the battery terminals and the wire was loose on the bolt on the terminal and the terminal was loose on the post. The bolt could be tightened, but the terminal could not, so I got another one and put it on, now I'm hearing what sounds like arcing when I turn the key to the start position. Will check it out and try to see where the sound is coming from here in a minute.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Oh and it shouldn't be the alternator because he just had his rebuilt from Boyle Future Technologies. Additionally he had power (meaning auxilkary lights) when he tried the key - just no clicking or noise. So we are leaning towards the starter...
Old 03-20-2007, 07:22 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Battery voltage at rest = 12.4V
During "start" = 12.1V

I don't think voltage is the issue. Once I get the truck started, the voltage looks good and I can drive pretty much as long as I want with lights on or whatever.

Note that since fixing the battery terminal, it now makes 1 click when you turn the key to start. When you let it go, it makes what sounds like a "puff"
Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

I don't remember where the starter is on these things, but can you get a bar or something on the solenoid and give it a wack? If it works, you may just have a sticking solenoid.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Try tapping the starter with a dead blow after the click puff session then see if it starts.

Quick Reply: Won't start - no click, no nothing