Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will low oil pressure be the end of my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want what he's having! ^^^
Old 11-29-2010, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahahaha, right, just put in some Castrol 10W40 high mileage and see what happens, you should be fine after that. Then you can gauge how much oil it uses, if any. No need to replace the sending unit, especially if you have little mechanical knowledge. I like the small Toyota filters, the ones that were made for our engines, I tried the larger ones this summer and in my opinion it took the filter longer to fill up thus exaggerating the dry start noise.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 AM

Try this.It helped my 3.0 oil pressur readings a lot.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amo.aspx
Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 PM

Took truck to mechanic to verify that oil pressure is really low and that it is not just a sender or something minor. Unfortuanately, we only have one reliable mechanic in town and of course, he is very busy so I think I am in for a long wait.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:04 AM

So, you said it's not making any noise correct? Why wait for a mechanic instead of putting in some thicker oil? We do know what we are talking about on here. I've owned quit a few of these trucks, some with well over 200K and in some of those I just ran 20W50, and I've driven them all over the country multiple times with low oil pressure, just put in some good quality thick oil and drive it and see if it consumes any....
Old 11-30-2010, 02:49 PM

I guess I thought I really need to see if I truly do have low oil pressure before I go and do anything. If the mechanic tells me I really do have low pressure and it's not the sender then I will absolutely change my oil and use the thicker oil and see if that helps before I let him do anything more than maybe check the pickup screen. I have really appreciated all the input I have gotten on this thread. Unfortunately I prolly won't know for 2 weeks what my situ truly is cuz my mechanic is very good and very honest, but very slow. D
Old 11-30-2010, 02:54 PM

I guess I do have a folow up question. If my oil pressure gauge reads right on the border between low and acceptable (first line) or even slightly below, and I drove about 200+ miles with it doing that on the highway, would you have expected the engine to begin making a racket by then if I really do have low oil pressure? Can I take that as at least some hope that it may turn out to be something minor? D
Old 11-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
god I hope not because thats how my rebuilt motors runs and I got 6,000+ miles on it. haha.

between low and 1st line when at idle when warm. jumps right up to half way or so when driving.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:28 PM

I guess the difference is that mine never jumps to halfway after it has warmed. D
Old 11-30-2010, 03:28 PM

Well, good luck with whatever happens, better safe than sorry I suppose.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunnison , Colorado
I guess I thought I really need to see if I truly do have low oil pressure before I go and do anything. If the mechanic tells me I really do have low pressure and it's not the sender then I will absolutely change my oil and use the thicker oil and see if that helps before I let him do anything more than maybe check the pickup screen. I have really appreciated all the input I have gotten on this thread. Unfortunately I prolly won't know for 2 weeks what my situ truly is cuz my mechanic is very good and very honest, but very slow. D
If there's a chance the motor is running with inadequate oil pressure, then running it that way may seriously damage it. Why not follow the advice here and change the oil to a 40 weight right away? It won't under any circumstances harm anything, and probably will help, possibly making the difference between damaging your engine or not damaging it. Just be sure to use one of the Toyota filters or the PureONE. I don't understand your reluctance. If the 40 weight brings the pressure up to a better level, then you'll know it's a better choice of oil for that motor.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
? If one has low oil pressure, what does it do?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Teuf
SAS it?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Well, in my '68 Delta 88, it destroyed the bearings. It had just enough oil pressure to keep the idiot light from coming on, but not enough to protect the motor at higher rpm.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 PM

So then its an oil flow problem? Then an engine with low oil pressure could not push around Heavy oil? I don't see how a heavier oil would help this problem. I say its the sending unit. all that = 2 cents.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 PM

It's a question of the size of the gaps between the bearings and the thickness, or viscosity, of the oil. The oil pump will pump about the same flow rate with either oil, but with an older motor, the gaps between bearings are greater, and thin oil runs out more quickly and easily. So there is little back-pressure (oil pressure) because it all just runs out the gaps. So it whatever flow there is may run out of the near journals, and not make it all the way to the far ones.

With thicker oil, it doesn't squeeze out the gaps as easily, there's more pressure, oil goes further down the passages, more likely to make it to the far journals. Think of holding a window screen at a 45 degree angle and pouring water onto it: the water will not pour far down the screen but will just pass through, but if you pour honey, it will stream further down the surface of the screen because the higher viscosity doesn't allow it to pass through the holes as easily.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 AM

"Just be sure to use one of the Toyota filters or the PureONE."

Will one of these filters possibly increase oil pressure over a Fram, which is prolly what is in there now?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 AM

Go to you tube and look at the oil filter comparisons.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunnison , Colorado
"Just be sure to use one of the Toyota filters or the PureONE."

Will one of these filters possibly increase oil pressure over a Fram, which is prolly what is in there now?
Probably not.
You can try and figure this out and get internet advice forever but won't really know until your mechanic checks it out.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 AM

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq...=haas_articles

Quick Reply: Will low oil pressure be the end of my truck?