Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why does 22RE have such a good rep. when they suck!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[deleted]

Last edited by desconhecido; 03-08-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: don't feed the troll
Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 PM

Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Why do threads like this always go down the toilet

Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM

the old engine ran great until the timing chain finally wore through the timing cover i ran it for a month after i started seeing coolant in it, the engine had 250k on it so it was due for a rebuild, now after the rebuild it purrs especially with the upgrade to the double timing chain
Old 03-08-2009, 08:44 PM

Why do threads like this always go down the toilet

I wish I knew.......(actually I'd say what but it might go further down the pipes, not worth it)
Old 03-08-2009, 08:50 PM

The stock turbo motor was mostly anyways with the design of the manifold and turbo setup. Mine only has 80k on it and it has a whole new top end with a better manifold and t3 turbo. Funny though cuz my last 22r needed a timing chain at 180k and when I replaced it, I dropped the oil pan and loosened the head bolts and popped the head up, put the new timing chain set in and tightened everything back up without doing a head gasket. I know it was probably stupid, but I put another 15k miles on that truck driving through a canyon in 4th at high rpm's and it ran better than my turbo ever has. I would take that old 22r back in a heart beat over my turbo motor I have now.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:52 PM

my 22re @ 226,000 hard miles stacked a barring... i prolly could have taken it all apart, had the head worked over, and done a complete rebuild.... but, instead of wasting my time and money i went out and spent about $900 on a long block...
i've heard of ppl tryin' to rebuild these motors and havin' head gasket problems out the ass...
Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mcstiggens
OK, now that I've got your attention, I'm not trying to offend anyone. Here's my gripe.
I had an 87' 22re, turboed. The thing had only 140,00mi. when I bought it. Then I found out it had a blown head gasket, burnt valve, multiple cracks in head etc. I had it all rebuilt with new head and all. Six months later, more coolant in oil. This time turned out to be timing chain cover leak. I got tired of all the hassles and sold it.
I just bought a 94' pickup 22re w/ only 110,000 mi. on it and CHERRY!
"Wow what a find" i thought to myself. Now, a month after taking ownership AND dumping all kinds of money into it on mods..........what do you think I discovered when checking my oil today? You guessed it COOLANT IN THE OIL!!
I've owned lots of high mileage Chevys, Fords, a 3.4L Tacoma, a 3.0L 4runner and not ONE of them ever had a head gasket issue! (not even the 3.0 v6 which are notorious for this issue which I sold @185,000 miles with nary a problem) I always hear how great the 22re is and its so "bullet proof" and crap like that! I for one am NOT convinced. How many of you have had HG probs with this cursed motor?

Thanks,
Mcstiggens
Pretty obvous what the problem is. Despite all that experience with Toyota's, you were not a member of this forum until last month. Member's do not have these problems.

So take your chances, buy one more Toyota, and maintain your membership. Your Toyota will continue to run well forever after.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:00 PM

OK, now that I've got your attention, I'm not trying to offend anyone. Here's my gripe.
I had an 87' 22re, turboed. The thing had only 140,00mi. when I bought it. Then I found out it had a blown head gasket, burnt valve, multiple cracks in head etc. I had it all rebuilt with new head and all. Six months later, more coolant in oil. This time turned out to be timing chain cover leak. I got tired of all the hassles and sold it.
I just bought a 94' pickup 22re w/ only 110,000 mi. on it and CHERRY!
"Wow what a find" i thought to myself. Now, a month after taking ownership AND dumping all kinds of money into it on mods..........what do you think I discovered when checking my oil today? You guessed it COOLANT IN THE OIL!!
I've owned lots of high mileage Chevys, Fords, a 3.4L Tacoma, a 3.0L 4runner and not ONE of them ever had a head gasket issue! (not even the 3.0 v6 which are notorious for this issue which I sold @185,000 miles with nary a problem) I always hear how great the 22re is and its so "bullet proof" and crap like that! I for one am NOT convinced. How many of you have had HG probs with this cursed motor?

Thanks,
Mcstiggens

Go buy a Chevy and I'll take your piece of Toyota off your hands so FINALLY they will get some lovin' like they deserve.

So, are you a troll? Let me guess, a die hard Jeep owner?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:06 PM

22re is the best i personally think i have rolled mine wheeled the living hell out of it and every thing and its still running perfect havent had any problems with mine so idk maybe your bad luck with 22re's lol
Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 PM

i've heard of ppl tryin' to rebuild these motors and havin' head gasket problems out

"i've heard of ppl tryin' to rebuild these motors and havin' head gasket problems out the ass... "

Ah HA!! So there IS something to it!!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 PM

"i've heard of ppl tryin' to rebuild these motors and havin' head gasket problems out the ass... "

Ah HA!! So there IS something to it!!
I've taken my head off numerous times and rebuilt my engine. Unless your a total idiot then you (no not YOU!!!) shouldn't have any problems.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:29 PM

yea, jeeps suck...

here is a pic of my long block just before i dropped it in there.... aint it purrty....
Old 03-08-2009, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by olyota89
yea, jeeps suck...

here is a pic of my long block just before i dropped it in there.... aint it purrty....
mmm

very sexy engine. I wouldn't put that in my engine bay though, its too dam perty
Old 03-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone sings the praises of the 22RE engine but it is NOT a perfect engine. Sure it's simple to work on, easy to modify, and quite reliable, but it also has it's quirks.

While people, many of whom have never owned a 3vze 3.0 V6, like to bash it for it's apparent weak headgasket design, the 22RE blows head gaskes quite readily as well as you will evidence if you do a search.

The 22RE's timing chain design requires modification otherwise it will eventually fail prematurely (i.e. fail before it should in comparison to later model Toyota truck engines with timing chains like the 2RZ-FE and 3RZ-FE).

With the exception of the 22RTE, the 22RE's are paired with a manual transmission that is no where near as stout as that found behind the 3vze 3.0 V6, and I wouldn't even consider an Auto/22RE combination.

Now both the 3vze and 22RE are extremely reliable engines despite their quirks, but many people have never experienced their quirks either, especially those who are anal about maintenance. My truck has just over 200,000 miles on it and it has never blown a head gasket or experienced a burnt valve, mind you my truck has been pretty well maintained it's entire life, especially by myself, and the previous owner.

But Toyota learned a lot from the 22RE and 3vze experience and I personally think the most reliable 4 cylinder engine you will find behind a truck or 4runner is the 3RZ-FE currently. It's just this engine hasn't been around as long, so you don't hear as many high mileage stories, but it appears to have fixed all the quirks of the 22RE as well as having more power and torque to boot, plus a more stout transmission (manual) behind it.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM

thanx for the complement friend...
i've got it all buttoned down ,and it's runnin' great... i am currently gettin' 24mpg's ,and still have some tuning to do....
Old 03-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I honestly think that the 22r / 22re is one of the best little 4 cylinders around. I have noticed that there are many of them for sale with blown head gaskets though. Could these people have overheated the engine? Who knows?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 PM

ok so i cant say iv had the best luck with my 22r but the head gasket was my fault on mine so i cant say to much but my problem is that darn top bolt on the oil pump, it dont want to stay tight, iv changed it i dont know how many times an red lock tight aint working..........my thing is it just dont have the power i want to get me on the freeway here in southern az ha ha ha ha but even for a 2wd she can hold her own off road as log as it aint up no steep hill or goin fast ha ha ha

Last edited by soml13; 03-08-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 PM

I had a 22r and it was a tank never had a prb. i currently have a 22re and so far have had no probloms. The reason people blow head gaskets is because they are a sluggish engine, so they rev it to the moon all the time trying to get up a hill...just my 2 cents
Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 PM

yup thats what happened to mine up a hill rount a slow ass person and her temp gauge shot through the roof, next thing i know my radiator blew an that slow ass person was passin me ha ha ha carma sux ha ha.....long as you dont need speed power there a nice engine to climb off road with. racing i think not...

Last edited by soml13; 03-08-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Why does 22RE have such a good rep. when they suck!