Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What kind of shocks do you suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skyjacker nitros, can't beat 'em for around $140 a set
http://www.ntwonline.com/acb/showdet...=2169&CATID=13

cant remember the part number for 3 inch lift, but I think you can enter lift height on their online form
Old 04-28-2007, 03:24 PM

Biltstien 5100 or doetsch tech shocks. There one of the best entry level shocks (pro comp,rancho,skyjacker etc) out there. www.doetsch-shocks.com my friend just installed their full kit on his 2x4 tacoma and quality is awsome, the kit came with 4 shocks and there really nice and give the truck a great ride on and off road. I guess there just a little soft but thats because there not nitrogen shocks.

Last edited by deserttoy84; 04-28-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

I installed new bilsteins on my 4Runner about a week ago. Love them!

Troy
Old 04-28-2007, 04:14 PM

i'm gona have to say the rancho 5000's
Old 04-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!
Old 04-28-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!
haha, that's what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by navyredneck

Since I spend a lot of time offroad (and generally very fast, I like to do 30 mph on dirt roads, logging roads, etc), OME were the best choice for myself.

Maybe I should slow down. My Camry routinely hits 50 on the dirt roads. Any faster than that and the back end wanders around too much to be safe. Safe is relative at 50mph though...
Old 05-02-2007, 08:38 AM

Ok, so I know this has been discussed many times but...

I'm trying to decide on shocks too. I just recently switched out my original shocks (99 4Runner, 83k miles) to Monroe Sensatracs. I just bought new Toyo Open Country HT tires about the same time, so that may be clouding my opinion of the Sensatracs, but it really seems that the Sensatracs are under dampening the suspension. Road imperfections seem to just make the tires quickly bounce/vibrate. If I'm in a bumpy turn, it feels like the truck is slightly hopping over the (slightly) rough road instead of feeling connected. The shocks have a lifetime warranty and I got them at a local parts store. I'm hoping I can return them for a refund but I need to decide what else to go with. Either Toyota/OEM or Bilsteins. BTW, which Bilstein? Seems there are models "5100" or "HD" or... for the 4Runner. Which one? What is the difference? Is there any difference?

Oh, and I don't do any off roading with this truck. Only in town and highway driving. Also, the springs are the original '99 springs.

Last edited by Leebo; 05-02-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did anyone mention the lack of bumpstop extensions? Without them the new shocks will quickly suffer the same fate as the old.

Make https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/good-bracket-lift-mod-114702/

Frank
Old 05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Leebo
Ok, so I know this has been discussed many times but...

I'm trying to decide on shocks too. I just recently switched out my original shocks (99 4Runner, 83k miles) to Monroe Sensatracs. I just bought new Toyo Open Country HT tires about the same time, so that may be clouding my opinion of the Sensatracs, but it really seems that the Sensatracs are under dampening the suspension. Road imperfections seem to just make the tires quickly bounce/vibrate. If I'm in a bumpy turn, it feels like the truck is slightly hopping over the (slightly) rough road instead of feeling connected. The shocks have a lifetime warranty and I got them at a local parts store. I'm hoping I can return them for a refund but I need to decide what else to go with. Either Toyota/OEM or Bilsteins. BTW, which Bilstein? Seems there are models "5100" or "HD" or... for the 4Runner. Which one? What is the difference? Is there any difference?

Oh, and I don't do any off roading with this truck. Only in town and highway driving. Also, the springs are the original '99 springs.

What tire pressure are you running. I only run 30 psi in my BFG's and it greatly improved the hopping you are talking about. I just put the Bilsteins on and I like them....I just have the Heavy Duty's (Yellow). Tokico is the OEM Equivalent and I have used them on my Nissans before. I have thought all the Monroes were a little light on the handling. My independent Toyota Mechanic likes the KYB's.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
What tire pressure are you running. I only run 30 psi in my BFG's and it greatly improved the hopping you are talking about. I just put the Bilsteins on and I like them....I just have the Heavy Duty's (Yellow). Tokico is the OEM Equivalent and I have used them on my Nissans before. I have thought all the Monroes were a little light on the handling. My independent Toyota Mechanic likes the KYB's.
I'm running about 30psi in my Toyo's too. I had about 32psi to start with; it helped maybe a little, but I'm still getting the vibrations quite a bit. It just sort of feels like the Sensatracs are mostly along for the ride. It's as if they are dampening the slow and larger suspension displacements, but not the small displacement/quick vibrations. It feels like I'm driving over washboards quite frequently.

If I knew I could "try" a set of Bilsteins (or KYB's) with a way to return them if they didn't work out, I would certainly put the effort in to swap them out. I just can't afford to make another mistake on this truck right now. OEM is probably a safe route, but it would be nice to have first hand experience with the other aftermarkets that a lot of people here seem to enjoy.

Last edited by Leebo; 05-02-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Leebo
If I knew I could "try" a set of Bilsteins (or KYB's) with a way to return them if they didn't work out, I would certainly put the effort in to swap them out. I just can't afford to make another mistake on this truck right now. OEM is probably a safe route, but it would be nice to have first hand experience with the other aftermarkets that a lot of people here seem to enjoy.
Been there myself...I put a set of Monroe struts on my Sentra SE-R one time and it felt like I was floating on the ocean. I removed them and put Tokicos on it and it felt like a new car. Even tightened up the steering. I don't think you can go wrong with them...I would get them from Tokico instead of Toyota, as they will be the same, but cheaper.

I think you would like the Bilsteins....they are a little stiffer at first but they have really made a difference in my 2000 4Runner. That said, my 4runner has been off road a lot with the stock shocks (I have the stock suspension) and they were getting real skippy on me, so I am comparing them to the that, don't remember what the stock was like new, but I remember thinking it was better than my Altima drives. I can't speak for KYB as I have not tried them.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Nic

Some people have had problems with the top nut on the aftermarket Tokico (green) shocks-just like the ones I have

I haven't worried about it much since I put the stock nut over the new one, but I would have tried Bilsteins instead if I even knew there was a chance there would be a problem like this:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113675

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/tokico-top-nut-stripped-off-108293/
Old 05-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nic
Some people have had problems with the top nut on the aftermarket Tokico (green) shocks-just like the ones I have

I haven't worried about it much since I put the stock nut over the new one, but I would have tried Bilsteins instead if I even knew there was a chance there would be a problem like this:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113675

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108293

That's some good info to know. I had a heck of a time getting my rear ones on. I could not get good access to the top of the shock on the left side. I gave up after I got the right one on, because the Bilsteins did not come compressed (Rancho's come compressed...I have them on my Jeep). I could not get enough leverage to compress them. I put the right one on, and pre-compressed it with a strap, which was not cool!

I had planned on having my Mechanic put the fronts on since I wanted to have the alignment checked. He said they had a hard time getting them on even thought they had a lift (to put the runner on). I could have done the rears if they were compressed. I have done front struts before, it was worth every penny I paid to let them do it on the 4runner.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the input guys. The Bilsteins really do sound like a good choice. "Skippy" is a very good description of how these Monroe Sensatracs feel. Going over a speed bump at an angle? Hold on for the ride! It sways a lot more too, like riding the ocean.

I'm anxious to get the ride improved and as good or better than stock.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 AM

I just pulled the trigger on some new Bilstein HD shocks so once I receive them and get 'em installed, I'll report back with a comparison to the Monroe Sensatracs. I expect it will be night and day...
Old 05-07-2007, 09:27 AM

i'm gonna say OME's. i love them they ride smooth and i do a lot of fast pace trail running. they cycle nicely and the shocks actually broke the truck! lol. long story......
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedoyle
These shocks are damaged, i need to replace them, what do you think i should replace them with?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...e/DSCF0677.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...e/DSCF0678.jpg

I like to hear everybody's opinion.

95', 4runner, 3.0, 4x4, 3" suspension lift, moderate off-road use
Did you ever get your lack of bumpstop situation worked out? You can see the dents where the shocks hit the bumpstops mounts from too much uptravel.

Frank
Old 05-07-2007, 12:06 PM

I have the Rancho 9000X's. They're totally blown now. Tend to take speedbumps at around 60 and goin muddin and bashin em with rocks made em only last about a year. Need something alot more durible...
Old 05-07-2007, 01:01 PM

what about skyjacker nitros, any experiance?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:21 PM

rancho 5000s. They have taken some serious abuse on my truck and still work fine well after a year

Quick Reply: What kind of shocks do you suggest?