Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what emissions crap can i take off my 93 22re and how do i do it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, must have struck a nerve. So because you agree with the other guy, his comments were perfectly fine and acceptable, but mine were totally wrong and out of line and it ok for you to call me a punk? Hypocrite.

Lots of ---->>>>

I don't live in Cali or Nevada so I don't really care what YOU have to do with YOUR vehicle or someone in some other state. I can do whatever "I" want with "MY" vehicle in "MY" state. Got it? Nobody around here wants/needs/cares about any EGR systems. Do you know how many cars are on the road that never even came from the factory with EGR? What do you want to do about that? Cry about it to the feds? You guys sure can make a big issue about something so stupid.

Sorry if I didn't reply with daisies and roses and if you're going to pout about it, spare me. Go look up all of the 10,000 threads about people removing their EGR valves on here and cry about it to them.

It's common knowledge that powerstroke motors blow head gaskets in STOCK FORM and it's caused by the EGR. Go talk to a Ford dealership or GOOGLE it yourself. Tons of people have blown head gaskets in Powerstrokes in STOCK form. Yes, people with modified engines are more likely to have problems because they're more likely to beat on the engine. Common sense should have told you that. There is always at least a couple BONE STOCK Powerstrokes in the Ford shop with a blown head gasket. Good thing they have that EGR there! What a great system! Automatic blown head gaskets! Awesome! I wonder if I can get a twin EGR system installed??

Originally Posted by space-junk
everytime someone says something that you disagree with you, you have to start an argument and start calling people names...
sarcastic punk
Case in point...
again with the personal attacks... why?
Like this?:
and after your last outing it seems like it doesnt matter on how many mods you have, but how you wheel...
Do you know how many citizens have left it on and have had no problems? my guess its more than have removed it...
So you're just guessing than? No real proof? Ok.

but why should they on these motors when the gains arent much, if any?
If it prevents me from blowing a head gasket, I'll give it a shot.

well, here in cali, guys get popped in their hondas all the time for stripping down the motor for "horsepower gains"... that lands them a night in jail and their car impounded... its more common than you thing... and cops are getting smarter...
I don't live in CA. Sorry.
also, it is ILLEGAL to sell a vehicle with its smog equipment removed... any of it... go google it yourself... if it was there from the factory, then it MUST be in place when the title changes hands... plus, i know many a friend who have not bought cars because the smog system was hacked up in some way...
That's laughable. Where are all of these "friends"??

guys who are stock are having problems, but its not related to the EGR system...
Any proof of that or are you juyst guessing again?

do your homework pal... the 3.o is "known for blown head gaskets" because people dont maintian and drive them like they should... and headers mitigate that problem, so the point is moot...
Any proof of that or is that more guessing?
my truck has the stock emissions system... all of it... and ive never blown a headgasket... in fact there is a thread on here about people who havent blown a head gasket and the reliability of the motor...
Congrats?

once again, why do you have to be so sarcastic?
But it's ok for you and the other guy to do it, right?

as it is, you have totally cluttered up this thread with your incessant arguing on a subject that is a matter of opinions...
Ummmm.....hypocrite? Wow.

Last edited by Justinlhc; 05-14-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok 2 things here.

1) How do you guys do that snip-quote thing? I just figured out how to multi quote about a week ago and now there's something new.

2) Stop being mean or I'll and until you're both and
Old 05-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Ok 2 things here.

1) How do you guys do that snip-quote thing? I just figured out how to multi quote about a week ago and now there's something new.

2) Stop being mean or I'll and until you're both and
Sorry dad.

For the quotes I just copy the first part of one quote like "[quote = Junkers88;51140205]" (without the spaces I put in there)and paste that before each thing I want to quote and manually type "[ /quote] (without the spaces)after each one. Kind of a PITA, but that's the only way I know how to do it.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
this thread's getting a little outta hand guys...

and yes, that's coming from Bleeder-Dude, who always seems to be the crap-starter

just look at my sig like; Junker's comment says it all, lmao

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-14-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinlhc
Sorry dad.

That'll learn ya son!

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
For the quotes I just copy the first part of one quote like "[quote = Junkers88;51140205]" (without the spaces I put in there)and paste that before each thing I want to quote and manually type "[ /quote] (without the spaces)after each one. Kind of a PITA, but that's the only way I know how to do it.
Thanks!!!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:54 PM

yeah, i just wanted to know what i can get rid of or block....not for any performance, but my egr tube that runs behind the engine is FULL! like the tip of a pen might fit in the hole as opposed to the half inch or so tube. i just don't want that crap in my motor. i know it's a 4 cylinder 22re...i'm not a honda guy....i just want less hassle and maybe a little cleaner engine bay. i'm a reasonably smart kind of guy so i have to wonder, how would the egr being removed cause a blown head gasket? it seems that it shouldn't be THAT significant of an amount of pressure that the egr relieves on the exhaust stroke? hopefully this can resume a civil tone. thanks though guys.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not that it relieves any significant pressure from the exhaust....

It introduces exhaust gasses (which are already burned so not a lot of oxygen available in it) into the intake. Doing so displaces some oxygen in the combustion chamber and lowers the temperature the fuel combusts at when the spark plug fires. Lower combustion temperatures helps reduce the ability of nitrogen in the atmosphere from taking part in the combustion process and combining with oxygen to create oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions. Higher combustion temperatures increase the tendency of the fuel / air mixture to spontaneously ignite (detonation) and burn unevenly causing localized hot-spots in the combustion chamber that can damage the head / block / piston.

If you can imagine an oxy-acetylene torch and how the hottest flame occurs when you inject O2 into the system, you can get why too much O2 causes heat and removing some lowers temperatures.

When the throttle's closed, if the EGR valve were to open, too much air would be displaced from the intake and the engine would die.
Under part/constant throttle / cruising conditions, the ECU leans the fuel mixture out and advances the timing to increase efficiency and mileage, actions which also increase combustion temperatures. This is where the EGR is designed to work, so you can see some benefit to having it, which as I explained above is to limit NOx from forming, but keeping the combustion chambers cooler is a nice side effect.
Wide-open throttle, the fuel mixture is enriched enough to keep detonation down without the need for EGR. If EGR was introduced at WOT, it would significanly impact performance since it would essentially be reducing the amount of air being drawn into the engine and thus less oxygen for the fuel to use.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-14-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 PM

good info...so i'm wondering then, if the egr is acting up, at what point would you get ENORMOUS amounts of carbon build up? would it be more at WOT? lower rpm's? my egr tube running behind the engine is nearly full, like i said before, and i'm not sure what would do that? also, could you put cooler plugs in to lower the cylinder temp? if the high temps are what blows the head gasket then it seems like there should be something that can be done in conjunction with blocking egr so that the cylinder temps don't get quite as hot and then it wouldn't be an issue? just a thought, but i know that a more open exhaust causes lower temps in the engine, not sure if that affects the cylinder temps enough though, but if you opened up your exhaust, cooler plugs and maybe ??? i don't know, it might fix the problem....unless there's another reason why blocking the egr would blow a head gasket?? you guys are the pro's...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bwiygul
...could you put cooler plugs in to lower the cylinder temp? if the high temps are what blows the head gasket then it seems like there should be something that can be done in conjunction with blocking egr so that the cylinder temps don't get quite as hot and then it wouldn't be an issue? just a thought, but i know that a more open exhaust causes lower temps in the engine, not sure if that affects the cylinder temps enough though, but if you opened up your exhaust, cooler plugs and maybe ???...
hmmm... I may have to test your cooler plug theory once my motor's back together

IF I have some cooling problems...

and I already have a header and 2.5" cat-back kit, so...

Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 PM

so as the local deity, does that sound like it may work? are you taking your emissions off? i thought you'd said to leave it. or are you just thinking about trying it to see if that's a possible fix? i just know that on my bike (a bad ass GSX-R 6 with plenty of mod's) when i cut my exhaust can down there was less back pressure and so i was running cooler, the local shop and the guys at dynajet (basically my "chip" manufacturer) told me to get a hotter plug. so i figure that might be a possibility but then again i'm not sure if that is really what the problem is with getting rid of the EGR. i just know that in my experience, when they try to make something better for the environment, it's usually more of a hassle or less effective for something...this one seems to be in the "more of a hassle" department. thanks again. i know i'm a little long winded sometimes.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bwiygul
so as the local deity, does that sound like it may work? are you taking your emissions off? i thought you'd said to leave it. or are you just thinking about trying it to see if that's a possible fix? i just know that on my bike (a bad ass GSX-R 6 with plenty of mod's) when i cut my exhaust can down there was less back pressure and so i was running cooler, the local shop and the guys at dynajet (basically my "chip" manufacturer) told me to get a hotter plug. so i figure that might be a possibility but then again i'm not sure if that is really what the problem is with getting rid of the EGR. i just know that in my experience, when they try to make something better for the environment, it's usually more of a hassle or less effective for something...this one seems to be in the "more of a hassle" department. thanks again. i know i'm a little long winded sometimes.
well, to answer your question, I'll quote my previous post

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
well to throw in my $0.02, I'm currently rebuilding the 22re in my 91 PU. With 296k miles on all the original emmission stuff, it's all getting romoved; none of it's going back on during the assymbely. I opted not to install the cat when I installed my exhaust system a little while ago, and during the rebuild I'm removing the EGR and PAIR systems, and blocking them all off with plates from LC Engineering. It'll take some of the clutter away from under the hood (probably loose more than half the vaccum lines ), and I think my EGR valve was sticking open to begin with. And the PAIR system is very annoying to listen to after I re-routed the tube that comes up from the top of it...

I'm by no means looking for performance gains or MPG gains, but hell it's all already removed, and it's just less to worry about breaking later down the road if I just take them out of the equation

Old 05-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Do a search for "EGR" or "EGR removal" and you will see a ton of information on it and reviews from people who have removed it and haven't had any problems or negative side effects in tens of thousands of miles. Some people even claim it made their engine run better, some people claim it gave them better gas mileage, some people claim it gave them more power, some people say they can't tell a difference. I noticed a smoother cold motor, but can't say I noticed any hp gains or mileage gains. I'm sure any of the gains people experienced were probably from removing a bad EGR valve though. Test it for yourself. You can always just temporarily plug the vac lines and see what happens.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did this thread suddenly turn into a soap?
the ford blew hgs cuz its a cruddy motor design, any diesel mechanic will tell you that. ive had my EGR on my truck for 320,000 miles, when the head cracked from overheating due to a coolant line bursting. the EGR will NOT cause a HG failure. thats lunacy. if it does, indeed, cause a HG failure, why didnt my HG blow? im sure it would have if your theory is correct, but 320,000 miles with no problems oncesoever with the egr? also, wouldnt everyone that owns a car that has an egr system be complaining about it? as far as i know, you're the only one saying the egr is a guarenteed head gasket killer.ill take my chances. also, man, come on, stop with the personal attacks on people, what are you, 8? and FYI, i wheeled with street tires thru mud, rocks, dirt, etc. does that make me a wannabe, or a poser, or anything like that? its getting out of hand. im really surprised one of the mods hasnt intervened. i wish you luck in your search, may i reccomend www.pirate4x4.com ?

*edit* and one more thing, if you sell someone a vehicle and you dont say a word about the emissions system being nonfunctional, and they fail smog due to it, or it comes out that you took the stuff out purposely, you could be in some serious doodoo. i really hope you dont rip people off like that. if you alter the emissions system in a way to make it nonfunctional, its REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW that you inform the potential buyer of it.

Last edited by ozziesironmanoffroad; 05-15-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
did this thread suddenly turn into a soap?
the ford blew hgs cuz its a cruddy motor design, any diesel mechanic will tell you that. ive had my EGR on my truck for 320,000 miles, when the head cracked from overheating due to a coolant line bursting. the EGR will NOT cause a HG failure. thats lunacy. if it does, indeed, cause a HG failure, why didnt my HG blow? im sure it would have if your theory is correct, but 320,000 miles with no problems oncesoever with the egr? also, wouldnt everyone that owns a car that has an egr system be complaining about it? as far as i know, you're the only one saying the egr is a guarenteed head gasket killer.ill take my chances. also, man, come on, stop with the personal attacks on people, what are you, 8? and FYI, i wheeled with street tires thru mud, rocks, dirt, etc. does that make me a wannabe, or a poser, or anything like that? its getting out of hand. im really surprised one of the mods hasnt intervened. i wish you luck in your search, may i reccomend www.pirate4x4.com ?

*edit* and one more thing, if you sell someone a vehicle and you dont say a word about the emissions system being nonfunctional, and they fail smog due to it, or it comes out that you took the stuff out purposely, you could be in some serious doodoo. i really hope you dont rip people off like that. if you alter the emissions system in a way to make it nonfunctional, its REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW that you inform the potential buyer of it.

Dude, it's over. Drop it and move on and when you tell me to stop with the "personal attacks" and in the same sentence you insult me, that makes you a HYPOCRITE. Not to mention the fact that you don't say anything about the personal attacks that were thrown my way, but those are ok, right? Thanks for bringing a dead topic back up. I don't care to argue with you about it since I will be the bad guy. Just drop it already. Nobody(especially me)cares anymore.

Last edited by Justinlhc; 05-15-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didnt attack you, i asked a question. i did not insult you.
and i didnt realize it was dead, my bad. whoops.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:14 AM

Would it be ok if I asked you if you were retarded? I mean, it's a question, not an attack.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 AM

Would it be okay if I said both of you are acting childish, both are right and both are wrong?

In Cali, where ozzie's at, the owner of a 1975 or newer vehicle is responsible for obtaining passing emissions prior to transfer of ownership to anyone other than immediate family (brother, sister, father, mother, son, daughter). No such thing as "AS IS" with regards to emissions in Cali other than if the vehicle was sold in an inoperable state such as not having an engine or it is otherwise unable to be started.
In other states, Federal law prohibits modification and / or removal of factory installed emissions or emissions equipment installed by importers to gain compliance with Federal law. It IS ILLEGAL to modify emissions on any vehicle operated on any public road or highway or public land under the influence or control of the Bureau of Land Management. Given that, if a purchaser of a vehicle found the emissions tampered with, a complaint could be filed against the previous owner.

Time to get over it... deep breaths... have a lollipop.
There, feel better?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Would it be okay if I said both of you are acting childish, both are right and both are wrong?

In Cali, where ozzie's at, the owner of a 1975 or newer vehicle is responsible for obtaining passing emissions prior to transfer of ownership to anyone other than immediate family (brother, sister, father, mother, son, daughter). No such thing as "AS IS" with regards to emissions in Cali other than if the vehicle was sold in an inoperable state such as not having an engine or it is otherwise unable to be started.
In other states, Federal law prohibits modification and / or removal of factory installed emissions or emissions equipment installed by importers to gain compliance with Federal law. It IS ILLEGAL to modify emissions on any vehicle operated on any public road or highway or public land under the influence or control of the Bureau of Land Management. Given that, if a purchaser of a vehicle found the emissions tampered with, a complaint could be filed against the previous owner.

Time to get over it... deep breaths... have a lollipop.
There, feel better?
so what you're saying is, that if you DO modify the emmsions equpiment, plan on either A) putting it back on when you sell it, B) keep the truck forever, or C) sell the truck to an idiot
Old 05-16-2009, 11:07 AM

or D) sell it to someone who knows its been modified and is willing to deal with it when it comes time to register / transfer title.
Laws don't forgive "ignorance" or "not knowing".
Old 05-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
or D) sell it to someone who knows its been modified and is willing to deal with it when it comes time to register / transfer title.
Laws don't forgive "ignorance" or "not knowing".
ah, good ad-on

Quick Reply: what emissions crap can i take off my 93 22re and how do i do it?