86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water-Proofin A 22re. Whats Involved?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water-Proofin A 22re. Whats Involved?

Well, I reckon I'm gonna be makin a snorkle here before too long. Need to know what all I need to do to make the engine water-proof?

So far I figure water can get in through the dipstick, and water would probably screw the distributor since it's not really sealed, but what besides that? There a thread somewheres about doin your own snorkle and water-proofin? I really aint fancy spendin $400 for a kit + and pay someone else to install it and never find out what they did...
Old 04-28-2007, 08:33 PM

use die electric grease or whatever its called on all of your connections and around the sealing points of your distributor and anywhere water can get to electronics
Old 04-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My thing is, if you're going through water high enough to need a snorkel, you're going to need to pipe the exhaust up higher too, also having a fuel injected motor, I worry about the ECU being behind the passenger kick panel. Not to mention all the little gizmos under the hood. I'd like to know what all you do to get her more waterproof.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:24 PM

Also consider an electric fan so you can turn it off for deep water.

I've heard of relocating the ECU like Bob mentioned.

Erich
Old 04-28-2007, 11:28 PM

put the ecu on the roof
Old 04-29-2007, 05:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What about the front crank seal which is at the bottom of the motor? Looks like if that were under water, some could get in the motor.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:12 AM

Well, I've already driven up to my headlights in water for short periods of time, and everythings been alright, but I have the strongest urge to put a 6' tall snorkel and put on my scuba gear and just go at it!

But yeah the ECU would defintely have to be relocated or somehow made waterproof...
Old 04-29-2007, 06:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I wonder if you couldn't weld and/or bolt in some sheet metal underneath. Make like a boat bottom. I don't know....haven't bothered to look underneath one to see if it was possible. But...???
Old 04-29-2007, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...Proofing.shtml
Old 04-29-2007, 06:24 AM

You talkin bout the entire truck or just the ecu thook? I wanna DRIVE threw the water, not float on it! Thats why the good lord invented the bass boat
Old 04-29-2007, 06:40 AM

OH YEAH!!...the entire truck, mate! Toys a'hoy!...lol

Seriously, though..
If it was possible, why not? You wouldn't get stuck or risk hydrolock. Nor would you flood the cab. And actually, I'm just thinking about the engine compartment. And I suppose the drain holes and fuel pump access would have to be worked over, too.

Barring bass fishing, though, why wouldn't want to float on it? Seems like it would be a lot of fun to me.

Last edited by thook; 04-29-2007 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:58 AM

Touch?... Thats a good idea now that I think about it.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:57 AM

Touch? What touch? Touch what? I think that's for another forum, bubba...hehehe.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:50 PM

Meant to say touche (and the e with the little dash thingamajigger above it).

Touche [too-shey]
–interjection
1. Fencing. An expression used as an acknowledgement of a hit, called out by the fencer who is hit. A referee can call out touche (French: touch) to refer to a touch being called - for example, the French call for "no point" is "pas de touche" (French: lack of touch).
2. (an expression used for acknowledging a telling remark or rejoinder.)
[Origin: 1920–25; < F: lit., touched]

Ohhh. You just made me get dictionary.com on yer ass!
Old 04-29-2007, 03:01 PM

yea boi. lol. i understood u swamp. no worries.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:02 PM

I was just crossing thru high water today and thought bout waterproofing myself.

Well first, do not worry bout water getting into crankase. Engine while running maintain positive pressure there. Same with exhaust.

Ignition and intake that is different story. On E models computer is definitly to low. I was thinking of relocating but that sound like serious work. For now I wraped ECU in big zipper bag to keep splash out...

There is a pic of big ass fender liners I made from fender cover (protective cover for mechanics, aviable in parts stores). One fender cover makes two liners. Material is good quality and liners are doing good job reducing splash.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 04-29-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:25 PM

Now thats a good quick fix. ECU doesn't need to breath does it? Can't see why it would, but ya never know... Maybe fab up a waterproof box, and rtv the hole where the wires comin out? Do you have to waterproof the maf, or is it sealed aready? Di-electric grease every single connection (is that for more to keep it corroded, or to keep it workin while submerged?)? What about where the air tube connects to the tb, just plain old hose clamps keep it waterproof, or do you gotta do somethin a little more exotic?

Sorry, just throwin those question out as they pop into my head.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing

Sorry, just throwin those question out as they pop into my head.

Just to clarify. To make engine works under water (wholy submerged) that is a serious thing. It is better done with diesels, no worries with ignition but I think it can be accomplished with airplane piston engine ignition technology. I do not worry bout that.
I`m thinking water crossing just pass floor level and protecting from splash generated by whells and fan.

We have races down here in Florida in high water, they use coffe can to enclose carb, intake hose, thick like house AC duct, feeds thru windshield or firewall to passanger compartment. Grease is used everywhere to repel the water.

As for ECU, it doesnt have to brethe but in needs cooling to dissipate heat.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 04-29-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:05 PM

Yup EJ is right. Plus think of maintenance if you truly seal all the water out you gotta unseal everything to work on it. NAPA sell a silicone grease that is the same as dielectric compound just a 3rd of the cost. Just take the connector apart and squirt some into each hole there and reasemble. Keeps corrosion down too. The ECU is a bayb computer so it needs to stay in the air so it can cool.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:01 PM

Hmm... See cause I've already driven in water up to the headlights. Not much deeper and the engine'll be completely submerged right? Dunno... But yeah, I'm all about the cheaper/redneck solution. So aside from relocatin the ecu, how would yall keep it cool if it was in a sealed box? Cause wirein REALLY aint my forte...

Quick Reply: Water-Proofin A 22re. Whats Involved?