Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

v6 running very rough all of the sudden.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v6 running very rough all of the sudden.

For the last few days my truck has been smelling very strong of gasoline/oil.. Which is kind of annoying but not really my problem but may be related, I don't know.

Today as I was pulling into my drive my truck started to shudder and it felt the same as my old 81 did when a spark plug fell off. I dont even know where my spark plugs on this truck are (I know, i know). I'm not sure if it is related but my truck has been dying after I start it up for the first time in the morning as well. Usually the second time I crank it, it will stay running.

Anyone know whats up with my truck?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That could be a number of things causing the problem. The two probably are related. Could be definitely, anyway. Running rich.........engine flooding.......motor dies.

A good indication of where the plugs would be to follow the trail of spark plug wiring. Maybe?

Look on the first page of this forum. There's a sticky with links to factory service manuals......fourth thread down, second page, second post. However, even a Haynes manual will get you started on troubleshooting. Might do some searching with keywords specific to your issue.

Regardless, here's a place to start out of the FSM.....
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...63troubles.pdf
Old 11-07-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the response, unfortunately I do not understand anything in that FSM, crap. And also, I don't know where the spark plug wiring is either.

(On another note - My girlfriend is from Rogers, AR -- The Ozarks are a beautiful part of the country.)
Old 11-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh wow. If you don't know where the spark plug wires are, it will be rather difficult to try and explain anything more complicated.....sensors, etc....that would help you to diagnose the problem.

Run some google image searches on....say...distributors, spark plug/ignition cables, etc. to get an idea, then. Or, just use the trusty search feature on this forum. You will have to some reading and learning to do if you want to try and fix this yourself.

Oh, and yes.......the Ozarks are beautiful. I live about an hour from Rogers. I go through there fairly often. I do prefer the more rural areas, but just north of Rogers and one gets into some ruralness. BTW, my avatar is not of the Ozarks......in case you were wondering. Don't know where that is, but it's a nice pic, so I used it. Reminds of how to be.

Last edited by thook; 11-07-2009 at 10:58 AM.