Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turbo vs 22re....Lets Discuss And Share Some Pics...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo vs 22re....Lets Discuss And Share Some Pics...

Im new here...

im 17 and am getting my first car which i would want a 86-88 flat fendered, has to be reg cab, 4x4, fuel injected, and manual....I have been searching now for 5 months for a truck like these but still no luck.

I skipped the 85 years as they have straight axle and i heard the 22re is not the most reliable as the upgraded years.... and mine is not going to be a crawler it is more of a baja/everyday driver...

i want to get a turbo engine but my dad says the bad thing is that there is not that many parts for the engine and it is not as reliable as the 22re...he says the 22re stock will last me a lifetime and the turbo if i need parts, they are harder to find as they made only a few years of turbo 22re...

so is it really better a reg. 22re over a turbo?

hopefully i can find a truck soon as i can hardly wait to be bickering at it every day after work....

and if you guys could, post some pics up so i can see what you guys did to your yotas!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 22re motor is super reliable in all years. My 86' has 300K on it...

Your dad is right about the turbo parts being much harder to find and more expensive but the reliability is spot on just like the 22re.

As far as the vehicles themselves go, people love the 85's because they are solid front axle and fuel injected.

The turbo's started in 86 and ended in 88 (I believe). So all those trucks will be independent front suspension. If you are building a DD/Baja truck then go with IFS (86-89 vehicles). Also check out the Blazeland Long Travel Suspension systems.

Just my .02

Here's my 86 4Runner

Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 PM

im also debating whether to get a 22re or 22rte. most of the parts between the 2 will interchange, but if youre gonna go the turbo route id suggest getting rid of the stock ct20 turbo and slapping on a garrett t3/t4. all 22r,re,rte are very reliable and quite powerful for their size. you cant go wrong either way.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:05 PM

hey thanks for the input....

thats why i say i wanna go 86-88 as we have a 4runner crawler straight axle but crawling isnt my thing to go with....im more into prerunner-baja/fiberglass and long travel, etc.etc.

its weird though as only some of the trucks i find are f.i. i notice many of the 85's and 86's are 22r and i even found some 87's that were 22r....its confusing...

i like your runner....my dad had stocks of those km2's like crazy for his yota but switched as they wear out quickly if you use them on the road and are heavy like crazy!

im still searching everywhere for sites that are near el dorado hills CA....want one so badly....

Last edited by Justin-Toyota; 02-13-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 AM

well so far i have to get a full exhaust setup w/ headers, i have got 31" tires/rims setup, 4 HID lights that i will put on the bar inside the bed, and some nice interior accessories as seats, wheel, shifters, etc...

but still no luck as for the truck....guess its not the season for them to sell yet?

i found a turbo truck 87 in perfect condition fully working but he wants $5500....a little too much for me..

Last edited by Justin-Toyota; 02-13-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 AM

I have a turbo, which runs pretty good for being mostly stock other than a T3 and a steed speed manifold. If I had the chance to do things different, I would have bought a non-turbo and swapped in a ls series Chevy small block. It would have plenty of power and much more reliability. Building this turbo motor gets extremely expensive for the ponies you will get out of it and the reliability factor starts going down the drain with the more boost you throw at it.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM

The 22r was still an option after 22re came out.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arguably, the "early" 22re suffers from more "longevity" than the later 22re's. The early 22re (pre 85-86) had a dual row timing chain which required less maintenance than the later ones.
Interestingly enough, the turbo'd versions came out in 85>86, after the block changed to the single row chain. Coincidence?

Anyhow, IFS, like the 86+ trucks have is probably the best option for desert or sand dune use. Anything you can do to make the suspension more compliant at speed would be suggested: ball joint spacers, diff drop and uprated torsion bars if you're not looking for static lift, or long travel suspension- either Blazeland or Total Chaos.
Solid axle setups are "stronger" but don't exhibit "compliance" to terrain when moving fast, like IFS can do.

Last edited by abecedarian; 02-13-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 PM

hey guys,

sorry i havent been able to reply i have been out of state working....

i still have no luck with a truck yet...it sucks, i know...still looking daily on craigslist but no luck yet...if i find a turbo id def get it as its what i am aiming for but...if i find a reg 22re ill get that one...whichever comes first....

here are some pics i found on the internet of pretty much the same design im aiming for with the long travel...im staying with 31" as well and going with a black look with red accents...
Attached Thumbnails Turbo vs 22re....Lets Discuss And Share Some Pics...-dscn2357-m.jpg   Turbo vs 22re....Lets Discuss And Share Some Pics...-dscn2322-m.jpg  
Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 PM

I would go for the 22re over the turbo, just because of the reliability factor and there is so much aftermarket support for that engine. BTW that is a sick truck ^^^.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Be nice to know where you live the best of these trucks never make it to Craigs List or Ebay.

They sell that fast if they are priced reasonable.

The only problem with any turbo engine is getting carried away with the boost I have 3 of the Turbo trucks so many projects so little time.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 PM

i'm designing bars around the truck...still dont have one yet but for now im taking dimensions off a buddies....making the front bumper - nerf bars - and rear bumper...time for welding and knotching

i swear though - its like all the good trucks are sold in a matter of minutes....i found a perfect 88 yota for only 1300 with 230,000 miles 22re - it sold after the first 20 minutes!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
22RE for sure. If the turbo craps out, you might as well grab your ankle$
Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 PM

hmmm - yes i think thats what i will be getting as my dad also says hes sticking with 22re and he doesnt want turbo so thanks....

but as for the engine itself, how powerful and fast is the engine? any upgrades i should know about to make the engine faster and more powerful?

so far i have headers and straight pipe on my list of motor work to the truck when i get one....i read about different cams but is it worth to start messing with the engine internally?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oh to be 17 again... your in the right place all the information you seek is at your fingertips.

to answer your question simply it isn't a powerful or fast engine but with a few mods it will have "enough" power. The engine very reliable and easy to work on also very cheap to maintain.

believe it or not you dont need to go fast to have fun. Some of the most fun ive had behind the wheel was at less than 5 miles per hour. and my 22re got me home everytime and still does.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 PM

lol powerful and fast, if you say fuel efficient... oh man. :p
Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Be nice to know where you live the best of these trucks never make it to Craigs List or Ebay.

They sell that fast if they are priced reasonable.

The only problem with any turbo engine is getting carried away with the boost I have 3 of the Turbo trucks so many projects so little time.
I was on a job in casper wy about 5 months ago and searching wy craigslist every hour like a crackhead looking for a 1st gen 4runner. that was the first time I ever saw everything listed as just the state... no cities. It makes it hard to find a hooker as well
Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 PM

i cant think of the word...i know the engine isn't "fast" i meant to say like...torque wise? i don't know but it will come to me later...anyways thanks again everyone and i will have to post up pics of the fabrication designs that i have in mind...

anyone have any pics or ideas on what i could do for the spare tire like what you guys did or what you guys saw others do? should i even put one on still? im thinking if theres not a nice design then forget it i wont put it on just to add extra weight being carried around loosing me some mpg...
Old 03-11-2012, 06:42 AM

Man if you want to even attempt doing anything fast paced, jumping the truck, and want reliability in your suspension I'd stay away from Blazeland and go Chaos hands down. Post a question up over on RDC or DR and see what a forum dedicated to the kind of suspension and driving you want to do suggests.. You'll get more help there than you will here regarding desert based suspension.

As for the turbo vs. 22re stuff, turbo stuff is far more expensive (manifolds etc.) and finding parts is pretty tough if you don't want to buy brand new crazy high retail price..

Get a normal 22re, do a header and a cam and pretty much call it a day.. Gear yourself right for the final tire size you want and go have fun.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by exist
Man if you want to even attempt doing anything fast paced, jumping the truck, and want reliability in your suspension I'd stay away from Blazeland and go Chaos hands down. Post a question up over on RDC or DR and see what a forum dedicated to the kind of suspension and driving you want to do suggests.. You'll get more help there than you will here regarding desert based suspension.

As for the turbo vs. 22re stuff, turbo stuff is far more expensive (manifolds etc.) and finding parts is pretty tough if you don't want to buy brand new crazy high retail price..

Get a normal 22re, do a header and a cam and pretty much call it a day.. Gear yourself right for the final tire size you want and go have fun.

X a bazillion on everything this guy said... It sounds like you live in El Dorado hills, CA. I'm in folsom... I just bought a rv cam and timing chain kit from engbldr.com. If you want to come over and learn about this motor whilst i tear it apart i'll wait for you. I'm still waiting to get a headgasket, oil pump and radiator anyways. I thought up and down about turboing but i'd rather have reliablility and if i want something faster down the line i'll do a toyota v8 swap down the road, which will be quite similar in difficulty/time.

oh and btw i'm in the prerunner possy as well...
a sample of my fleet...

Quick Reply: Turbo vs 22re....Lets Discuss And Share Some Pics...