86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Torsion Bar adjustment with AAL

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torsion Bar adjustment with AAL

I am planning on putting AAL's in the back of my 93 3.0 and it should give her somewhere from an 1" - 2" in the back. Do I need to adjust the torsion bars for these AAL's and will it lift up the front if I do? and also Im pretty new at this and don't really know how to adjust the torsion bars.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have the stock saggy springs, where your rear is riding lower than your front, I would say wait until you see the lift and go from there.

Right now on my truck I have a heavy duty spring pack (OME springs) which is equivilent to an add a leaf if you had good stock springs still, but it isn't designed to give lift butride at stock level and I have the front torsion bars cranked down for ride comfort, and the rear end rides slightly higher than the front, so the truck looks "poised" and ready for a load if that makes any sense. It looks better this way in my opinion. I wouldn't say the rear spring packs have lifted the truck, just made it level, like it probably was when the stock springs were new. Put 500 pounds in the bed and the truck rides beautifully.

If you adjust the torsion bars you will need to do an alignment. EVerytime you adjust the torsion bars you need an alignment - there is no argument in this matter as it changes the angles of the wheels an d such. It is much easier on you and this is what I've done, is to find a reputable alignment /suspension shop and tell them you want them to adjust your torsion bars, spec how much lift or drop you want roughly, and then have them do an alignment. A good shop should be able to do this no problem and will have all the tools neccessary to adjust the bars. You need to get the wheels off the ground anwyays to adjust the bars so might aswell have it done at a shop on their lift, and also consider that they shouldn't charge you that much to adjust your bars. It's just turning 2 bolts. They just have to be clever enough to first measure the spacing on each front and left wheel to see if they are different, and assuming they are the same, to make sure they turn the adjustment bolts exactly the same number of turns so they raise or drop the same amount. The proper way to measure the space in yoru wheel wells to determine lift is to meausre from the top of yoru rim, to the bottom of your fender or fender trim (assumign you still have trim on both sides). These are variables that regardless of tire size and all that, will not change so they are safe ways to measure lift/drop, etc.