Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Topless?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vwfastg60
I dont know they make those hook such a pain to get off when drunk
Well, it's kinda like hitting something with a hammer to get it workin right. If it get's to be too much of a impediment, just rip it off! I swear though, my Runner eats articles of clothing...

And as for the seal, I've never had a problem with it. Seals good every time. It's good durable rubber, unlike that "foamy" rubber stuff Bronco's use... Now THAT stuff drove me crazy. Would actually end up caulking every time I put the top back on.

Last edited by SwampThing; 12-11-2006 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwampThing
Takes bout 2 minutes to undo all the bolts, and another 30 seconds to slider it off and put it somewhere. Takes a bit longer than taking off your average girl's top, but just as satisfying. Entirely possible to do by yourself (done it many times before), but it's much easier, not to mention safer, to have two people to slide it off or on.

I don't know what you're using to take the bolts off, but there are 16+ bolts holding that thing on, and it takes at least 1 min per bolt by hand.

While it may be possible to take it off yourself, you will scratch the hell out of your body and probably the top too if you try to do it yourself. Plus you run the risk of hurting yourself, by either crushing or overexertion. Let's just say, for a rule of thumb, if you can't powerclean 250lbs you probably should get a friend. I would anyways.

The best thing to do is, if you have a garage (which I don't) rig it up to where you can back in, use ratchet straps to lift the top of and hold it up, then just lower it back down when the time comes. Having never done this I cannot say how well it works, but I'd say it would be the easiest way to DIY.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:04 AM

250lbs? Nah seemed like a buck 50 to two at the max. Eh well reguardless, it IS quite heavy, but I've never had much trouble sliding it off the bed about 3' or so, getting under it, walking it into my garage, tilting one end down to the floor, walk to the other end of the top and lay it down. It's a technique I guess. Hardest part is keeping balance.

But yeah, 2-3 minutes is all it really takes me. Two words: Speed Wrench. Preferably a shorter one. A knuckle really helps too for those wierd angled bolts where you have no room. And no real reason to torque the bolts down as if you were a human impact wrench... Plus I'm a huge Nascar fan, so I always fancy myself a pitcrew man while taking the top off lmao...
Old 12-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Who still has a top?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by colsoncj
Mine is just laid on to keep the water out, whenever its ready to go somewhere, off comes the top... when i come back, lay the top back on.
must be a male version in your avatar then eh? LOL
Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

One thing to remember when putting the top back on: Tighten the bolts in the order described in the owners manual, if you want to make sure that it won't leak.

Took mine off for the first time in 20 years, last May. Had never done it because I was afraid of it leaking. It's seen some heavy rain since then, w/o any leaking.

I use a 3/8" air ratchet to take mine off. A couple of minutes to take the 12 bolts out. If at home, 2 or 3 minutes to run the ratchet straps up to hang the top from the rafters in the garage. If in Moab, 30 seconds to lift it off with someone else, and set it down on some 2x4 blocks. I'd put the weight at ~100-150 lbs. I put the trim back on the interior in October. Probably won't take it off again until late April.

Last edited by 86Original; 12-11-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

250lbs? Nah seemed like a buck 50 to two at the max. Eh well reguardless, it IS quite heavy, but I've never had much trouble sliding it off the bed about 3' or so, getting under it, walking it into my garage, tilting one end down to the floor, walk to the other end of the top and lay it down. It's a technique I guess. Hardest part is keeping balance.

But yeah, 2-3 minutes is all it really takes me. Two words: Speed Wrench. Preferably a shorter one. A knuckle really helps too for those wierd angled bolts where you have no room. And no real reason to torque the bolts down as if you were a human impact wrench... Plus I'm a huge Nascar fan, so I always fancy myself a pitcrew man while taking the top off lmao...

250 was a liberal estimate.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:36 AM

I've been running topless for almost 2 years now. And my truck is my daily driver. I have a bikini top on that I got from Downey.

And, I've had some 4X Innovations tube doors on since June. I have no intentions on putting the top or doors back on until its time to hit the road for a snowboarding trip.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:08 PM

I live in Colorado, so there's no way. I put my top back on in late August when we had about a week of rain. I did see a topless first gen last week (red, black steelies if anyone here) and it had a piece of clear tarp stretched across the back of the cab. Not sure the driver could see anything, and it still didn't look particularly warm, but I guess it works.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I ran the bikini top all summer and early fall.

But now they look like this.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:37 PM

Well....I don't know what you guys are talking about. I'm a young man myself still in high school who can only bench around maybe 115 and I've never had help taking my top on or off....I've never asked. It's not always about the size of your muscles its the size of your brain. God didn't give me muscles......but he gave me tractors. I take all the bolts out then slide the top out about an inch. Run a sling strap on the inside of the top....hook it to a chain which goes through the top on our front end loader. Use controls on tractor to pick bucket up...which picks up top....then drive truck out. Same procedure to put back on just in opposite order!!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by PeanutRanger
Well....I don't know what you guys are talking about. I'm a young man myself still in high school who can only bench around maybe 115 and I've never had help taking my top on or off....I've never asked. It's not always about the size of your muscles its the size of your brain. God didn't give me muscles......but he gave me tractors. I take all the bolts out then slide the top out about an inch. Run a sling strap on the inside of the top....hook it to a chain which goes through the top on our front end loader. Use controls on tractor to pick bucket up...which picks up top....then drive truck out. Same procedure to put back on just in opposite order!!
lucky you....i bet it's nice to have a front end loader.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:00 PM

It's a bit hard for us to fit even our smallest tractor in the garage

Lol our old Cat's look so tiny sittin next to our new Komatsu. You haven't lived till you've gone muddin in one of these

Lordy I caint wait till we git our D9! A real dozer!

Last edited by SwampThing; 12-11-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:25 PM

haha..thats it gabe..tell em how we get it done in south mississippi! there isnt too much that we cant do with a tractor down this way....
Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 PM

I Take The Top Off Any Chance I Get "not Often Liveing In Washington State,but When It's No Raining She Goes Topless & What A Whore She Is Strutting Her Stuff...
Old 12-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Contributing Member

It's a bit hard for us to fit even our smallest tractor in the garage

Lol our old Cat's look so tiny sittin next to our new Komatsu. You haven't lived till you've gone muddin in one of these

Lordy I caint wait till we git our D9! A real dozer!
what are those for? Personal recreation?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:53 AM

Nah, for our landscaping company, but they do get used for recreational purpose quite often lol. Diggin out bowls for muddin, tearin up trees for bonfires, vehicle recovery, lift for workin on truck, loader races, tug of war, etc... Work hard, but play harder!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:50 PM

garage.....I don't set my top in a garage.......it's sitting our in this field by our old f350....I don't care for it that much...I don't like the top. Today my truck got soaked while I was in school.....the front seats don't get wet...and I have the back seats folded down...so all is good.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:11 PM

I doing it my self, not going to pay $1000 for a soft top- so anyone know were or who to get the fabric? and what kind would be best to use?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shotgunhoney
I doing it my self, not going to pay $1000 for a soft top- so anyone know were or who to get the fabric? and what kind would be best to use?
Sunbrella is the maker of the top fabric. Good luck doing it. It should be very tedious and annoying.

Quick Reply: Topless?