Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Took off my 4runner top today! I'm lovin' it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elton
looks good ill be nice and post them up for you since all it takes is 5 secs

Adawg_08, the 4Runner looks nice! Makes me miss my '86 4Runner.

Here's a 5yr old picture of my old '86 4Runner right before I sold it. (The picture was originally taken w/ a standard 35mm camera...not digital. I then took my cell phone and took a picture of the 4"x6" picture. Anotherwords, the real photo looks great, but taking a picture of a picture, doesn't turn out so good...but hey you get the idea.):

Old 05-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
Looks clean

2man job, pshhh. just get under there with all the bolts off and put it on your back, walk off the tailgate, i did it the entire time i had my 4runner.
Your tailgate must not be very high off the ground. If I walked off my tailgate with that 200lb thing on my back it would tear my knees and ankles and who knows what else all to hell. Not to mention, that's awful for your back.

Last edited by bob200587; 05-03-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to get an old frunner for the removable top. I have to wait till I move out of maine cause I wont ever put the top back on. Ill deal with the wet just not the snow.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:58 PM

4runner lookss great with the top off. I'd say a nice soft top and your set. I'd be happy with a sunroof in my truck. I guess all good things come to those that wait and save money.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:26 PM

Thanks for posting my pics on the site.
Now I want some BJ spacers.
It is alot faster now, can feel the difference,
I got on it in 4rth and it did something
It was cold this morning and had windows up and heat on and it was fine, not as much wind as I thought, wouldn't wanna be in the back though. hehe(only 'bout 55 degrees) not really cold but just a short drive to skool
Old 05-03-2007, 06:32 PM

Your 4Runner looks awesome! Mine is the same color. I love the fender flares. It's a blast riding around with the top off. Here are some pictures from the Petite Lemans last September in Atlanta. Seeing this thread really makes me want to figure out how to make a soft top now

Last edited by grey_eg; 05-03-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: didn't link the pictures correctly
Old 05-03-2007, 07:04 PM

oooo la la! Nice rig!!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 91ToyTrck
4runner lookss great with the top off. I'd say a nice soft top and your set. I'd be happy with a sunroof in my truck. I guess all good things come to those that wait and save money.
Good things come to those with a quality set of wrenches and a charge account at the parts department.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by grey_eg
Your 4Runner looks awesome! Mine is the same color. I love the fender flares. It's a blast riding around with the top off. Here are some pictures from the Petite Lemans last September in Atlanta. Seeing this thread really makes me want to figure out how to make a soft top now
Check out the thread I referred to before. Any questions I can certainly try to help. I had mine proffesionally done, but to do it again I would have tried it myself.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 AM

Nice!! One of the things I miss the most about my 1st Gen!!

I had a set-up in my garage (hooks & rachet straps) Had my top on and off in 15mins by myself!!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:55 PM

Did the hooks and rachet straps work well? I've been thinking about doing that too. How many did you end up needing in your garage to support the weight of the hard top?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ShoeRunner
ahmgram, nice shot of what I am guessing is somewhere near Hateras?

I was there way back when I learned what "Jeep Only" meant as I buried the 2WD mighty max I had.

Mine went topless a few weeks ago. There is actually suprisingly little wind inside the cab with the windows up and sunroof closed. I was afraid I may get some exhaust like I did when rolling down the back window, but nothing that I have noticed. Even though it is not open overhead it is a ton of fun and people seem to notice it alot more.

I also just finished my soft top(ok a few tweaks left). It is detailed on this thread
Exhaust comes in the back with the window open because the fluid dynamics of air. When driving with the window open the air "spilling" off the roof 'hooks' back into the cab creating a 'negative pressure' effect sucking in the air [and exhaust] around it. With the top off that same air 'spills' off the roof just behind the seats and eddies around in the rear tub and then moves rearward from there hence no negative pressure effect at the rear by the tail pipe and less/no exhaust in the cab. You do want to be careful with prolonged idleing in close quarters like a garage/car port or tight parking lots the gases can and will build up and potentially invade the cab space which might casue discomfort to people with asthma or infants and toddlers etc.

Class Dismissed!

Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 05-04-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by smiljko
I never took the top off-I'm concerned about dust coming in. It is very bad when I forget to roll the rear window up,just can't imagine how it would be without the top.There is also a good stereo and bunch of stuff in my car-wouldn't want to get it stolen.

you could always get an aftermarket alarm with a proximity sensor, taht way once you arm the alarm if anyone decides to stick there hands inside your truck, the alarm will go off
Old 05-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I already posted this pic but I also just took off my hard top and put on the soft for summer, this is apparently the topless red 1st gen thread lol....

Last edited by SKNKWRX; 05-13-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
man i cannot wait until this monday when i take off my top and get my bikini kit on!! these pics are making me soo anxious!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 PM

Took my top and doors off today, I kept making excuses to go and drive. Next week I'm going to take it offroad...
Old 05-13-2007, 09:01 PM

....Yup
Old 05-14-2007, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by bktaco
here's my solution to gear theft with the top off

http://picasaweb.google.com/bkgpub/4...AreaRenovation
What is that vinyl that you used on the floor???
Old 05-15-2007, 05:31 PM

well, put the top back on today. sopposed to rain tomorrow,
but then it will be off again for the week end, I wanna wheel with the doors off and top off but its still to cold in the mornings.

I got my BJ spacers in yesterday . can't wait. going to put them on thursday and an alignment set up for friday. I get some pics, don't worry
Old 05-15-2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Adawg_08
well, put the top back on today. sopposed to rain tomorrow,
but then it will be off again for the week end, I wanna wheel with the doors off and top off but its still to cold in the mornings.

I got my BJ spacers in yesterday . can't wait. going to put them on thursday and an alignment set up for friday. I get some pics, don't worry
BE A MAN!!!!

Yesterday, on my way home from work, it started to POUR!! Then it started hailing! My entire right side was soaked, I had more water on the inside of the windshield than on the outside...but it was AWESOME seeing peoples faces as I drove by with no doors.

Funny thing is, the rain coming from the sky barely touched me. It was the rain being slung up by my tires is what cause the most wetness!

Quick Reply: Took off my 4runner top today! I'm lovin' it?