86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing Vent

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Vent

So I was hoping to get a couple opinions on this subject. I attempted to replace my timing chain, guides and cover. It was a valiant attempt, but I ended up getting called in to work for three days and just had a local shop do it for me. When I got it back, the lead mechanic told me one of the guide was shredded and the pieces are in the oil pan. He said it was a pain to take the oil pan off so he left them in there claiming that "it probably won't hurt anything". He also told me he meant to adjust the valves but just ran out of time. Is that something that is typically done (valve adjustment after new timing set?) I feel like I got hosed and I told him so, he just offered to do those things for another 3-4 hours labor... I told him yeah right. I know the oil pickup has the screen over it, but should I be worried about those chunks of chain guide in my oil pan?

-goat
Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What a lazy toad scrotum!

You probably are okay, but it wouldn't hurt to drain the oil, atleast, and try and get out what you can. He should have atleast done that.

The valve adjustment would have been a good idea, too. I mean the valve cover was off and everything. It's not standard procedure, though, if that's what you're asking.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you could actually see how much junk is probably in that pan I'm sure you wouldn't feel safe running with it in there. It completely covers the screen sometimes. There's no way to know how much is there unless you look.

Yes it is one hell of a job to remove the pan on a stock truck. You'd find it easiest to drop the front diff to get it off unless you have a lift of some sort to exploit... I can understand him not wanting to drop it.

Valves should be a must because according to the factory manual he should have also pulled the head to do the job properly. If the head had come off the vales need adjustment. Seeing as how he didn't drop the pan he probably didn't pull the head either though so you're no worse off than before although its just plain silly not to take another 15 minutes and adjust the valves at that point...

I wouldn't go back to that guy if I were you...
Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Right, unless you pull the head.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:42 PM

The timing guide that shattered is plastic.
It probably broke LONG AGO and was being ground up in the engine
(BTDT)

The screen on the oil pickup is pretty coarse.
It might stop a BOLT (which would chew up the crank as it came whipping past) but not much else.

Dropping the pan on an IFS is a PITA - it hangs up on the pickup.
I had to drop the front axle to take the pan off...

At a MIN drain the oil.

Valave adjustment - depends on HOW the TC was removed.
If he didnt loosen the rocker arms - then the valves should be fine.
If he took the head off - then DOH - they HAVE to be adjusted.

That being said - its not that Hard to adjust /check em

IMHO it sounds like a communication issue with the shop over
-- what they were supposed to do/not do
-- what you might do/not do

Shop I work with might do the smae thing - but they would check with me FIRST as to what I wanted them to leave alone
(then again - I pay SHOP hour rate - OUCH - they do good work and let me do stuff like bring parts etc)
Old 08-03-2007, 12:44 PM

you can R&R the TC w/o pulling the head... BTDT

The resulting job tends to leak around the top of the TC where the HG is.. (no doh)
Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 PM

thanks

yeah I probably won't be visiting that shop anymore. I've got three inches of body lift and four inches of suspension lift. Is there any chance of dropping the pan without removing front diff? I'm afraid I've never done it before and don't really know how difficult it can be. that's me with the saw and the little green dude is the mechanic who is happy because now he has a bunch of my money. You can see I'm smiling, that's because at least the timing chain project is done. (kinda)
Old 08-03-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by big_blue_goat
yeah I probably won't be visiting that shop anymore. I've got three inches of body lift and four inches of suspension lift. Is there any chance of dropping the pan without removing front diff? I'm afraid I've never done it before and don't really know how difficult it can be. that's me with the saw and the little green dude is the mechanic who is happy because now he has a bunch of my money. You can see I'm smiling, that's because at least the timing chain project is done. (kinda)
yours will be a walk in the park you should not have to remove anything to drop your pan. to get the oil pan out you will have to remove the oil sump but it will be easy to access after you drop the pan down.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:46 PM

Agreed... With a body lift and a suspension lift you should be able to work the pan out without messing with the diff at all. As mentioned, take out all of the bolts and drop the pan down, then reach in and take out the bolts holding the pickup on and you should be able to slide the pan out. If you need a little more clearance you can unbolt the motor mounts and jack the engine up an inch or two and slide it right out.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:11 AM
Contributing Member

at least he told you, but he is still a rat turd!!!