86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing chain and escaping coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Skibjork
Hey guys, sorry it's been a while on an update. So we ended up getting a new engine and we've cleaned up everthing attaching to the new block and we now need to know the proper ignition timing setting on this new 22R/22RE.

In looking at the manual it said that the proper timing setting would be on the underside of the hood, however we have a new hood because the old hood was wrecked a while back.

I'm thinking 0 and my dad is thinking 8... help!

By the way, Chef I've been referencing your pictures throughout this process... thank you so much for all your documentation, it's made our life much easier.

Mightymouse: you say it's a 22RE because it's fuel injected, but etched on my fuel-injected block is "22R" and the new engine we bought (exact same as old) was listed as a "22R/22RE"... any other reasons that it could be named either one? We have no idea.

Here's the link to the engine we bought: http://www.japanengine.com/products/...&search=&page=

Thanks!
WOW! Now see, that's the main reason I posted as much as I could....for this very reason! thanks for the compliment and good for you, man! Have fun with it.....I really had TONS of fun working on multiple hot rods with my pops and brother in laws!

Take care,

Mark
Old 11-26-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another question... where does this part go?!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
now I pulled my motor 3 times in 1 week, and I do not recognize that. lol. 1 thing I do not have is A/C though. Not that I think it's an A/C bracket, just saying. But I also don't have EFI either.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-26-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:00 PM

uhoh, thanks XXX, we have looked everywhere and can't figure it out. Everything is fitting too, so we are pretty confused
Old 11-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
That's a support bracket for the exhaust pipe. It bolts on the lower drivers side of the transmission bell housing
Old 11-26-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
hahah that's another thing I don't have, factory exhaust manifold. Thanks PismoJoe
Old 11-26-2010, 03:54 PM

ahhhh PismoJoe, much thanks!

Ok I've got another question for y'all. I thought I did a dilligent job in labeling everything, however now that I'm putting loose ends together we've got some connections we can't figure out. Here's a pic of what is stumping us now. What is it and where does it mount?

Thanks again everyone...

Old 11-26-2010, 07:56 PM

That is the vacuum switching valve(VSV). It is there(from what my hours and Thook's WEEKS of research have revealed) for HOT SOAK conditions. It either allows more or less vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator. It mounts on the rear of the valve cover and one line goes to the FPRegulator and the other to plenum vacuum source.

If you have two, the other should be black, and it would be the A/C Idle Up Electronic Vacuum Sensing Thingamadoohikiemajiggerdoodle! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-26-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 PM

Well we started the engine up and after running smooth for the first 30 seconds it started spewing white smoke and leaking coolant from the INTAKE and EXHAUST! What is going on?! The engine and everything else is new. Our only thought is we have a hose pumping coolant into the intake manifold somehow.

The arm from the intake to the air filter had coolant all inside of it. I've posted a pic of where the leak is the most evident. We have removed the hose and I'm holding it full of coolant. We are laughing about it since that's all we can do right now. Thoughts?

Old 11-27-2010, 12:53 PM

Make sure you have the right hoses going to the right places from the IAAV (Idle air auxiliary valve). This to the right of your hand in the picture, directly under the intake. The two hoses (smaller diameter) on the left side should be coolant and the hoses on the front and back should be air only. I'm guessing you have these crossed up and you have coolant going into the intake because of this...

If I remember correctly there is a small u-shaped hose right next to the IAAV that seems like it should be connected to the IAAV but it's not. Sorry i'm going off memory here but I'm almost 100% sure that this is your problem.

Last edited by Olas; 11-27-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:44 PM

The hose that you're holding in that picture NEEDS to be connected to the throttle body. Coolant runs through the throttle body.

You might have a leak within the throttle body itself, I don't see any other way that coolant could make it in there unless you have a misrouted hose somewhere.

Post some more pics up so we can tell what you're working with
Old 11-27-2010, 10:01 PM

Thanks Pismo, below are the pics that we've just taken. Hopefully you can recognize where we've gone wrong.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:37 AM

I see your problem, right off!

That hose going into the top of the throttle body? THAT IS NOT A COOLANT CONNECTION, and you have it connected to a line that is supposed to supply coolant to the bottom of the throttle body, via the short metal coolant pipe that comes off the timing cover, then splits into 2(1 goes to the throttle body underneath, and one goes straight back, to another coolant port.) That port on your throttle body that you have the coolant line going to?....it's supposed to be a vacuum hose, connected to the power steering idle adjustment. Looks like you have a plug in the plenum, blocking off what I'm talking about 'should be there'. If you don't have Power steering, or it's a different year/different system, that might make sense...but IT STILL should never have coolant going to it. You're pulling coolant from that bottom port in the throttle body and forcing it into the intake....NO WONDER you have coolant pouring out of your exhaust and intake, ya know?

JUST STOP, ok? I'll get you some pictures, tomorrow.....that is, if you can't find what you're looking for in the first several pages of my build thread, in my signature, below....IN RED. Not sure which pages the pictures start, but there are HUNDREDS, and I have everything hooked up, exactly right.

Hang in there, bud, ...I've been in that situation, kinda, a couple times. But with a fresh motor? LAST THING you want it coolant to be forced into the intake valves and on into the cylinders, and then on through the exhaust valves and out your pipe..... which is what's happening now. So for now, just stop, ok? It's my Bday tomorrow, but I'll have some time in the morning, if you still need me to take some pics and maybe a video for ya, ok?

PS> The coolant hose on the
Old 11-28-2010, 12:41 AM

Here's a taste for where that hose on the throttle body goes... Did you have that valve with the white plastic screw, and you just forgot to replace it or lost it? Or do you not have power steering? Just curious... anyway, here's a start. .....

Old 11-28-2010, 12:50 AM

This hose is the one coming out of the back of the timing cover, which feeds, I believe, the IACV and the throttle body...

can't remember, WAY TOO TIRED, lol... I'll get you a video of where everything goes, asap, ok?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:53 AM

Old 11-28-2010, 01:02 AM

PS> That green and blue vacuum switching valve? I told you where it goes... read back, ok? It bolts to one of the free bolt holes on top of the valve cover...just look at my pic, above. Not the one toward the front....the one toward the VERY back of the valve cover. It's back there so it can be close to the Fuel pressure regulator and get fed vacuum by the plenum 3/port filter-valve.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-28-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 AM

Happy b-day Chef! Thanks for posting those pics and for the help. We will be working on this later today or tomorrow at the latest. If you could do a video that would be awesome! Anything helps right now. I might do a video as well of our set up so it can be seen better.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:33 PM

I am so happy to see that you crossed a coolant line, I thought you had a blown HG or something bad already

Just study the pics chef gave you, you'll figure it out.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Skibjork
Happy b-day Chef! Thanks for posting those pics and for the help. We will be working on this later today or tomorrow at the latest. If you could do a video that would be awesome! Anything helps right now. I might do a video as well of our set up so it can be seen better.
Hey Bud, ....sorry man, some homies highjacked'n'smacked-me-up on my birthday, yesterday! hahaha. I didn't get back til later. I'll try to do a video for ya this early afternoon. Give me a lil bit, and like I said.....JUST WAIT till 'YOU'RE SURE', ok? With a new motor, the last things you want is coolant getting in there, OR, improper vacuum routing, etc. Things are really tight and trying to break in......it's the most touchy time of a new motor...'THE FIRST 20 MINUTES'. Obviously, I'm assuming that you found the coolant issue and just SHUT DOWN, right????

PS> NO PROBLEM, .......I got TONS of help, from Joe there, as well. My problem was something very strange, so it just took a long time to narrow it down....but trust me, on the 'little and important things'???>>> YOTATECHIES SAVED MY RUMP A FEW TIMES! lol.

Be back in a bit.

Quick Reply: Timing chain and escaping coolant