86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain

I have a 87 4runner with the 22re. I bought the truck early last year. The engine was rebuilt before I bought the truck, so the guy i bought it from said. Drove the truck for four months with no problems, except that it would not idle, thats a story for another day. It started to have a bad oil leak. Found timing cover was cracked. I replaced the cover and then it ran like crap. Did a bunch of tests, found number one cyclinder had only 100 PSi versus the 175 PSI in the rest. In the process bought a 85 runner w/ a blown head gasket and swapped the head over, it ran great until a rod bearing went out. I decided to fix the 87 so I could sell and fix the 85. Checked the 87 engine and found the number one rings were cracked. Replaced and put together. Motor started after second attempt. I drove the truck and it was sluggish. Set the timing and it ran worse. I checked the forms on this web site and 4crawlers site and found some info. I checked to see if the notch on the dizzy is in front of the cam gear, it is. The tit on the cam sprocket it just a hair before 12 o' clock. I took the cam sprocket off and moved it one tooth over and it made it worse. Any ideas would be great. I really want to get it fixed so I can sell it and fix the 85. I would scrap the truck the truck but it has new 31's and the rebuilt engine.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get the thing fixed, and fixed right, and it won't keep breaking down on you.

Tell me why a truck needs to be scrapped b/c the engine won't run again? Must be my time of the month, my logic is getting screwy...
Old 08-31-2010, 01:35 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
my brain hurts after reading that 1st post.
as hannibal said, fix it right. sounds like you have 2 engines(if i even understood all that) that are in need of attention...focus on one, fix it right, then do the other. if,after that you want to sell these, then you can sell 2 vehicles in good condition.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:10 PM

I am sorry the description was so long I was trying to keep it short. Anyway, to answer the first question. The reason I said scrap the truck is because it needs a lot of body work. Second I AM trying to fix it right. I did fix the compression problem. I am just trying to see if there is something I can check so I can get it timed correct, so I can drive the truck.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd rebuild the spare motor I had...

Nobody hardly gets anywhere adding mystery parts to mystery motors...

Engines tend to wear evenly and a tight head on worn rings will just add more stress to the rings... And so on.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN

Engines tend to wear evenly and a tight head on worn rings will just add more stress to the rings... And so on.
I second that as I have seen (on on any yota motors yet though) on SBC SBF etc etc that people rebuilt their top ends, new heads etc etc and leave the bottom end alone and then not too long after the got major problems in the bottom end.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:25 PM

Thank you fo the replies. I will see if I can figure the timing out. The motor I am working on is rebuilt with a new head. I drove it two days ago, after replacing the rings and bearings; I just can't get it timed. I was just posting to see if there some ideas on why I can not get it in time. When I set it @ 5 degres it would not run. I turned the distributor all the way up and drove a lot better. I checked it today, @ TDC 0 degrees, piston up and the cam sprocket tit was just a hair off @ 12 o clock. I backed off to 5 degress and the distributor gear notch was in front of the came gear.