86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing belt install..witness marks

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt install..witness marks

In the process of installing my new timing belt. When turning the crank through two revolutions to make sure the belt is correctly installed, do all three witness marks have to line up exactly like they were during initial install? It looks like it is on correctly, two rotations and the right hand(toyota left) cam sprocket just comes up about a tooth short of true. Checking the witness marks on the belt w/the crank gear seemed to be a tooth off of center, but I could not get it to fit any other position. Following both the kit directions and a chiltons on belt install, which both seem to agree w/each other.
Regards, Rick
Old 11-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By witness marks do you mean the marks painted on the belt itself? If so, those painted marks are NOT important after two revolutions...they will not align back up for many revolutions. What is critical, is that the physical alignment marks (after pulling the tensioner pin, of course) on both cams align with the marks on the backing plate and the crank gear mark with the mark on the oil pump. If the physical marks align up, you are good to go.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks....got 'r done. I was one tooth off on the crank gear. Tried it a couple of times, same results. Finally, started at the crank, around water pump pulley,around the cam gears with the knock pins removed, tensioner and good to go. Just watched for alignment of the knock pin holes as I rotated the crank, slipped 'em in, torqued them down, and as of 10:45 tonight, the rest is history.
Regards, Rick