Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

third member swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah... he's not really a crackhead, but I like to think he is. It is the only way to rationalize the prices he comes up with. He is rude, though.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know of one v6 auto 4x4 by me that's preaty stripped but has it's axels thats my first plan
Old 10-24-2007, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing you know about this page, but in case not:
http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/Of...tegoryId=11290
Gets you a little more info before you start pulling parts.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:20 AM

i didn't know about that page i was looking at this one tho
http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20...ifications.htm
Old 10-24-2007, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gametom
i didn't know about that page i was looking at this one tho
http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20...ifications.htm
Hadn't seen that. Thats good too. Looks like you're looking for G142, most likely a truck with 22re/AT/31" tire option from the factory. Yikes, thats a lot of conditions. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 AM

ya i have quite a task at hand
Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Hadn't seen that. Thats good too. Looks like you're looking for G142, most likely a truck with 22re/AT/31" tire option from the factory. Yikes, thats a lot of conditions. Good luck.
I didn't know you could get the 31" tire option on a 22re. I thought that was only available on the 3.0.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:39 PM

And does anyone know anything else about the companion flange bolt pattern mismatch (or lack of)?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:49 AM

looking at the triple flange thing i bet the holes just don't line up
Old 10-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by chroad
Mudhippy, when I put in the rear third, I didn't have to do a companion flange swap. Everything bolted up fine and I've had no problems. Also, what are the advantages to the "downgrade"? I've only heard of the advantages of upgrading to the V6 for housing strength and the 4-pinion, and I had never heard to swap out the companion flange before. Any insight?
The 4cyl 3rd weighs considerably less, which means less unsprung weight on the axle. The gears and lockers are cheaper and the 3rds are more readily available in junkyards. Mine was found in one and in excellent condition. The only real benefit of the V6 3rd is added strength. Though it's slightly(insignificantly IMO)stronger internally, it is much more reinforced for strength vs. external obstacles while off-roading than the smaller/lighter 4cyl 3rd. The 4cyl 3rd design will handle any stock V6 with 35" or smaller tires with no problems though, IMO. Mines been holdin' up fine for 2+ years with my 3VZE and 35x12.5x15s, and trust me I've abused it(I've been through 2 front ends and still with the same 4cyl 3rd in the rear).

About your driveshaft fitting, that's not generally the case. The driveshaft bolt widths are different sizes too(8mm,10mm,11mm).

Triple Drilled Flanges
# Our Marlin Crawler Triple Drilled Flanges are specially designed to fit the following Toyota bolt patterns: 1963-8/69 FJ40, 1979-83 Hilux, 64mm x 56mm x 8mm
# 1984+ Pickup, 60mm x 60mm x 10mm (non-CV)
# 1986-87 Turbo, 1988+ V6, FJ60, 66mm x 66mm x 11mm
Bolt on installation with machined seal surface.

And does anyone know anything else about the companion flange bolt pattern mismatch (or lack of)?
Apparently Marlin Crawler does. That's why the sell the triple drilled flanges, THERE NOT ALL GONNA BE THE SAME BOLT PATTERN. From what I've seen first hand, Marlin's listings about the specific applications for each pattern are accurate. And I've had my hand on MANY Toyota driveshafts, (un)fortunately.

If you bolted your 4cyl driveshaft to a V6 3rd member with no trouble, YOU GOT LUCKY.

Didn't work out that way for me, or many others.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-25-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM

Sure its already been said but when you do begin the swap you should make a nice writeup to document it, so that the next person wont have the same issue you did
Old 10-25-2007, 02:36 PM

as soon as i find the droner truck i will start the write up
Old 10-25-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Apparently Marlin Crawler does. That's why the sell the triple drilled flanges, THERE NOT ALL GONNA BE THE SAME BOLT PATTERN. From what I've seen first hand, Marlin's listings about the specific applications for each pattern are accurate. And I've had my hand on MANY Toyota driveshafts, (un)fortunately.

If you bolted your 4cyl driveshaft to a V6 3rd member with no trouble, YOU GOT LUCKY.

Didn't work out that way for me, or many others.
Mudhippy, I can tell THERE NOT ALL GONNA BE THE SAME BOLT PATTERN. I can see that Marlin Crawler knows something about it. I can read and comprehend, and I can see my experience is unusual and that I GOT LUCKY. I should have stated my question better--what I wanted to know is if anyone had any insight as to why my situation worked when others didn't. If you look at the FSM that's on the web for the 93 truck, it appears to indicate (if you believe that different torque values on the flanges will indicate the only difference) that the difference between flanges will arise for the V6 with a manual transmission as opposed the the rest of the trucks for 93 at least. Also, when Marlin calls out their year information, they blanket all 84+ trucks with non-CV and then all but the 86 and 87 V6's. I have a 95 4cyl with a CV style shaft. I don't have my truck with me, so I can't go measure the pattern to know for sure where it falls in the pattern mix. The fact that I have a 4cyl w/ CV-style shaft may be the difference in why my yoke matched up to the V6 flange. Still, the difference might be that my V6 third came from a Japanese Surf.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:00 AM

FWIW, I put a V6 4.56 4Runner rear differential in my '92 22RE pickup in place of the 4 cyl. 4.10's and the driveshaft bolted right up.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:43 PM

The fact that I have a 4cyl w/ CV-style shaft may be the difference in why my yoke matched up to the V6 flange.
That is why, OBVIOUSLY. Thanks for pointing that out.

See here then.

1984+ Pickup, 60mm x 60mm x 10mm (non-CV)
This means 1984+(all since 1984)pickups(and 4Runners/Surfs, as they share the same drivetrain components)
WITH 4 CYLINDER ENGINES AND WITHOUT A CV REAR DRIVESHAFT(as they AREN'T the same bolt pattern as TURBO/V6 or CV rear driveshafts). NOT ALL 4 CYLINDER APPLICATIONS WILL HAVE A CV REAR DRIVESHAFT, HENCE THE "(non-CV)" TO INDICATE THAT SOME 1984+ 4 CYLINDER APPLICATIONS DO, AND WOULD REQUIRE
A DIFFERENT BOLT PATTERN THAN THE ONES THAT DON'T.

WHAT BOLT HOLE PATTERN MIGHT THAT BE?

1986-87 Turbo, 1988+ V6, FJ60, 66mm x 66mm x 11mm
The TURBO was only available from 1986-87, and has the SAME driveline components/driveshaft bolt hole pattern as the later 1988+ V6s. FJ60's also have this same driveshaft bolt hole pattern. WHICH ALL, AS YOU'VE ALREADY PROVEN, HAVE THE SAME BOLT HOLE PATTERN AS A CV REAR DRIVESHAFT or their flanges would need quadruple drilled right? WRONG, they don't, because THEY ARE THE SAME aren't they? And, had you asked that ? specifically, I would have told you so. I just assumed you understood that much and that yours DIDN'T have a CV rear driveshaft. Pardon me...

Originally Posted by Jon4x442
FWIW, I put a V6 4.56 4Runner rear differential in my '92 22RE pickup in place of the 4 cyl. 4.10's and the driveshaft bolted right up.
Let me guess, CV rear driveshaft?

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-26-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:17 PM

Mudhippy, I'm not trying to be a jerk (though I probably shouldn't have quoted you and left it in all caps, that was pretty rude as far as rude on a forum goes). If you feel I didn't do enough research--sorry. Marlin's description does not point out the pattern of a 4cyl w/ CV rear shaft, unless I'm reading it wrong. I'm away from home and don't have my truck, so I can't go measure the pattern. At the risk of further annoying you, my last question is about this:

The TURBO was only available from 1986-87, and has the SAME driveline components/driveshaft bolt hole pattern as the later 1988+ V6s. FJ60's also have this same driveshaft bolt hole pattern. WHICH ALL, AS YOU'VE ALREADY PROVEN, HAVE THE SAME BOLT HOLE PATTERN AS A CV REAR DRIVESHAFT or their flanges would need quadruple drilled right? WRONG, they don't, because THEY ARE THE SAME aren't they? And, had you asked that ? specifically, I would have told you so. I just assumed you understood that much and that yours DIDN'T have a CV rear driveshaft. Pardon me...
This doesn't make sense to me. You note that the turbo, 88+ V6's, and FJ60's have the same shaft yoke/flange (as Marlin says), and then you say that I've proven that those trucks have the same pattern as the 4cyl CV shaft trucks. Then you say that what I've proven is wrong, but then you say that they are all the same? We've observed where the CV equipped 4cyl trucks fit in, though Marlin doesn't call it out. Somewhere in here it sounds like you're saying you know for sure (because you've read it?) that the 4cyl CV trucks have the 66mm x 66mm x 11mm, correct?

It irritates me that you reply as if Jon4x442 and I are the biggest dummies to ever post here, but that means I'm getting annoyed at an internet forum, and that is homo. But at the same time, I should have asked earlier about where the 4cyl w/ CV shaft fits in the Marlin breakdown.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:06 PM

Void...

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-27-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy

This doesn't make sense to me. You note that the turbo, 88+ V6's, and FJ60's have the same shaft yoke/flange (as Marlin says), and then you say that I've proven that those trucks have the same pattern as the 4cyl CV shaft trucks. Then you say that what I've proven is wrong, but then you say that they are all the same? We've observed where the CV equipped 4cyl trucks fit in, though Marlin doesn't call it out. Somewhere in here it sounds like you're saying you know for sure (because you've read it?) that the 4cyl CV trucks have the 66mm x 66mm x 11mm, correct?
This doesn't make sense to me. You note that the turbo, 88+ V6's, and FJ60's have the same shaft yoke/flange (as Marlin says), and then you say that I've proven that those trucks have the same pattern as the 4cyl CV shaft trucks.
You did prove that by bolting your CV rear driveshaft to a Turbo/V6 3rd member. Did you not?

Then you say that what I've proven is wrong, but then you say that they are all the same?
No, you misunderstood me. I highlighted in red the statement I made. Allow me to re-word that for you.

I was trying to explain that since you had made the discovery that a CV rear driveshaft will bolt to a Turbo/V6 3rd member, you had answered your own question as to why. They are the same bolt pattern. And because of this fact, Marlin doesn't need to drill a 4th set of holes for "1984+ 4cyl with CV driveshafts". Why again? BECAUSE THEY'RE THE SAME AS A TURBO/V6!

My question to you is "why do you think that they "need" to list that information after they already told you which 1 of the 2 patterns available for your rig it wouldn't be?".

Process of elimination should tell you that of the 2 bolt patterns available for ALL 1984+ Pickups/4Runners/Surfs the 1 that matches a CV rear driveshaft WOULDN'T BE THE 1 THEY LIST FOR "NON-CV". Now would it?(answer=NO) Is yours a "non-CV"?(answer=NO)
THEN IT MUST BE THE ONLY OTHER PATTERN AVAILABLE FOR YOUR RIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONLY 2 PATTERNS FOR ALL 1984+ PICKUPS/4RUNNERS/SURFS

1 FOR NON-CV 4 CYLINDER

1 FOR CV 4 CYLINDER,TURBO/V6 OR FJ60

I give up

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-27-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:08 PM

Dude, calm down. I'm not trying to frustrate you, though I'm doing a good job of it. I'm getting unnecessarily detailed, and I don't think either of us are communicating exceptionally well.

I completely understand and have understood that the CV shaft pattern is the 66mm x 66mm x 11mm pattern, same as the turbo/FJ60/88+ V6. I wouldn't have argued about needing to drill a fourth set of holes in Marlin's flange--it has been obvious to both of us that it's all the same pattern. You're right, I did misunderstand what you wrote. You are saying:

"WRONG"-is to-"or their flanges would need quadruple drilled right"
--and--
"THEY ARE THE SAME aren't they"-is to-"WHICH ALL, AS YOU'VE ALREADY PROVEN, HAVE THE SAME BOLT HOLE PATTERN AS A CV REAR DRIVESHAFT"

I couldn't figure out what you were saying was "wrong". I kept reading that sentence as you saying that what I had proven was wrong, but it looked like you were also saying that what I had proven was right. Anyway, I understand now.

Regarding what Marlin has on their website, I think it should be listed that CV shafts have the turbo/FJ60/88+ V6 pattern. We could only do process of elimination if Marlin said in the blurb for the flange that the three bolt patterns for which they've designed are all possible patterns. Marlin does not say that it includes all possible patterns. What if there was some random fourth pattern that was for CV shafts on 4cyl trucks? You and I know that there isn't--you knew that to begin with; I know now because of my recent experience. But, what about the random person who goes looking at that flange? If he doesn't know that there are only three, and no more than three, possibilities for bolt patterns for all vehicles through 1995, then he may wonder if this will work with his 4cyl CV shaft application. For all he knows, it might be some pattern that Marlin didn't consider. Then, this random guy starts asking questions and you, who knows that there are only three patterns, start to beat your head against a wall because this guy is asking so many questions.

Also, I'm anal and I think all possibilities should be explicitly listed--it's just my nature.

Again, I'm sorry to frustrate you.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:17 PM

Good lord. Well, my truck has a one piece driveshaft with regular u-joints. Regular cab, 5 speed.

-Jon

Quick Reply: third member swap