Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

TC's 2nd Gen - Rear 4Link Swap (Buildup Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvota
Will you guys have to address the gas tank location at all.... or will you be able to overcome with your design?
Troy's truck isn't really a truck. Its a collection of rust that has somehow, using magnetic fields I imagine, been molded into the shape of a truck.

As such, his gas tank has looooonnnng since surrendered, and he currently has a fuel cell in the cargo area.

Also why it looks like a clown car everytime he goes camping.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Troy's truck isn't really a truck. Its a collection of rust that has somehow, using magnetic fields I imagine, been molded into the shape of a truck.

As such, his gas tank has looooonnnng since surrendered, and he currently has a fuel cell in the cargo area.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya i cut off my cargo area so i have a fuel tank where my back seat should be for now. No smoking in my vehicle!!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 AM

That's hilarious, but after helping him cut stuff off, there's quite a bit of steel under the layers upon layers of rust. I't amazing really, you can dig thru the rust with your finger pretty deep, but go thru a dozen sawzall blades trying to cut the crap off.

Oh, and happy grinding Molly! Just remember that someday the feeling will come back to your arms/hands.

Last edited by mrdoug; 09-05-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
Seriously though, you've mentioned the virtues of a balanced rig in the sense that the rear should flex proportional to the front. With more rear travel, won't your rear do all the flexing now?
Just because I'm redoing the links doesn't mean I'm going to set it up for miles of travel. The current plan is to use the same springs (and possibly the same shocks) as I have now. Notice in the criteria list above, I never mentioned anything about lack of travel. It is for better control of the axle and less stuff to get hung up on.

If you make the links parallel (the V pointing the same direction), the roll center height goes through the roof and you get a VERY tippy suspension setup. You can triangulate just one set (usually the uppers), but I needed to triangulate both to get the performance numbers I was looking for.

You need more than 40* triangulation to be able to not have a panhard bar.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Seriously... that is priceless!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
So, the driver's side link and mount are pretty much trashed and will need to be repaired in some fashion. I don't see much reason to stay with the stock short links.

Would there be any problem with just replacing the lowers and leaving the uppers and panhard bar as-is for now?

I'm not liking the idea of the truck being down all summer reconstructing the rear suspension, and I can't really afford a shop to do it. What I'm thinking is:
- for now replace the forward link mount and the lower links
- later, redo the attachment points at the axle and the uppers, triangulated to get rid of the panhard bar.

Goals in the end:
- link mounts less likely to get hung up on
- more travel
- stretch wheelbase 1-2" towards rear
When you finish yours, will you come help with mine?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Just because I'm redoing the links doesn't mean I'm going to set it up for miles of travel. The current plan is to use the same springs (and possibly the same shocks) as I have now. Notice in the criteria list above, I never mentioned anything about lack of travel. It is for better control of the axle and less stuff to get hung up on.

If you make the links parallel (the V pointing the same direction), the roll center height goes through the roof and you get a VERY tippy suspension setup. You can triangulate just one set (usually the uppers), but I needed to triangulate both to get the performance numbers I was looking for.

You need more than 40* triangulation to be able to not have a panhard bar.

Can't level the panhard rod to make the roll centre lower? I don't necessarily mean on your truck as you are triangulating the rear controls arms if I read correct.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Well, my truck is at stock height, so the suspension is as Toyota designed it.

Regardless, the axle shifts side-to-side if you have a Panhard bar. Might be only a little, but with my top-heavy POS, it's the last thing I need!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you using software for this?

I found a couple of links for 4 link calculator and Excel CAD that I then downloaded since I'm planning on doing a four link in the future, I could refind them if you want, or email the programs to you.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Holy crap... I have never been so covered in so much rust and crap EVER!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:05 PM

What about a Watts link?It eliminates side to side motion.Look under a brand new crown vic.I hate a ford but that is a pretty good idea.
Bigblock
Old 09-05-2008, 06:40 PM

i wanna see this happen
Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Watts link seems incredibly complicated compared to triangulation for no extra benefit.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Oh the rust! It is pretty bad... Need to get a face shield to do all the stuff underneath!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:01 PM

I want to triangulate my rear 4 link some day. My dream is to be able to run baja with it. LT front and rear suspension. should be interesting.

One idea for the lower links is to make almost like a mock radius arm in the sense that i would mount at the bottom and go upwards to give you more clearance.

Kinda like this idea, except more substantial since it is a major suspension component.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Man I wish the underside of Troy's rig was that clean! LOL. So I have de-rusted and am now doing the POR. I have the axle done and am doing the under-carriage now. Thank god for laquer thinner... I'd be perma black without that stuff!

A great grinder pic from yesterday! Weeeee!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:37 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Parts are starting to come in ... should see some more exciting updates soon!
Old 09-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex 400
I want to triangulate my rear 4 link some day. My dream is to be able to run baja with it. LT front and rear suspension. should be interesting.

One idea for the lower links is to make almost like a mock radius arm in the sense that i would mount at the bottom and go upwards to give you more clearance.

Kinda like this idea, except more substantial since it is a major suspension component.

What the heck? Look at the lift blocks
Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
What the heck? Look at the lift blocks
yeah those things are funky. the reason i used the picture is for the shape of those traction bars. how they curve upwards for clearance.

Quick Reply: TC's 2nd Gen - Rear 4Link Swap (Buildup Thread)