86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SwampThing3.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SwampThing3.0

Well it's been a while since I got on here, been super busy and whatnot. Thought I'd share with the masses my newest acquisition, aka Swampthing 3.0. Got it for the gf, but like I already told her, she can take the Tacoma as far as I'm concerned! Lol

Anyhow, it's a fully loaded 87, 22re 5spd, assuming SR5 cause it has the inclinometer, tach, and bucket seats with all those knobs on em lol. Only 230k miles, but runs like a champ. Picked it up for $2500, a little steep, but with us being so close to mexico, all the mexicans come and haul away every older toyota they can get their grubby little hands on back over the border, so supply is always hard to come by. Anyways, I like it, has some really beautiful blue metallic paint, but the body does have some battle scars... But other than that, the interior is not too shabby, small seat tears already covered up with some seat covers, and the center console cushion is disintegrating. All in all though, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Now I'm just deciding what kind of SAS i'm gonna do on it. I have the front axle and gears and all the other toyota goodies off the ST2.5 from when I rebuilt it and threw some d60's under it, so I could get that yota SFA under it and call it a day... OR I could throw these other 12/14bolt axle I have under it and go full width. Either way, it's not hard, and it is going to get SAS'ed, no questions asked. Just a matter of deciding, and start torching in my free time once I get back from Colorado the weekend after next...

But anyhoo, the goods:

Last edited by SwampThing; 05-12-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice

Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM

WOW, I'm jealous!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
throw the tons under it dude, but get them shortened, that way it has the stance of an SAS'd rig with yota axles, but the strength of a rock buggy lol

Nice rig though
Old 05-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Thanks yall. Can't wait to start on it.

And all those parts you sold me so long ago Brian are still alive and kicking, and in all probablility, about to be rein-car-nated on this ST3.0! So needless to say, like I always say, order your stuff through Wabfab!

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
throw the tons under it dude, but get them shortened, that way it has the stance of an SAS'd rig with yota axles, but the strength of a rock buggy lol

Nice rig though
Man whenever I throw tons under anything, I never shorten em. Have you ever seen the Brooks & Dunn Hillbilly Deluxe music video? If not, go watch it. Now. One of the most awesome toy's I've ever seen, and which forever sold me on having full widths on a toy....

Drool:
Old 05-12-2010, 03:57 PM

yes yes yes, i will admit full width is amazing, and if i COULD, i WOULD do it in a heartbeat, but when you go full width, you no longer have the ability to drive her on the road (legally) lol
Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Swampy, long time bro! Love the new toy....(I'll soon start taking bets, on how long this 1 lives!) Keep it all Toy.....save the tons for another project!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
yes yes yes, i will admit full width is amazing, and if i COULD, i WOULD do it in a heartbeat, but when you go full width, you no longer have the ability to drive her on the road (legally) lol
How do you figure that? Full widths come off street legal vehicles, why would it be illegal for ours? Granted, I dunno what your state laws are, but here in Texas the only laws we have are that are germane to "lifts" and whatnot are the lighting height stipulations: The headlamps must be mounted between 24 and 54 inches from the ground, the taillamps between 15 and 72, and the foglamps between 12 and 30.

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
Swampy, long time bro! Love the new toy....(I'll soon start taking bets, on how long this 1 lives!) Keep it all Toy.....save the tons for another project!
I know man, how you been? Oh and I doubt (or at lease hope) this one won't be dying in any glorious acts of demolition, be it accidental, unnatural, or otherwise. At lease that's the plan because "supposedly" it's gonna be my girlfriend's daily driver. Though I have the title, the bill of sale, the plates, registration and insurance all in my name, not to mention the truck is sitting in my garage. Doubt the poor thing'll ever get to even ouch the steering wheel again! lol

What other projects could I possibly put em under? Put em under the ST2.5 before I sold it, my buddy's project already has em, and my tacoma is definitely staying stock. So that leaves the ST3.0!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:51 PM

well i was thinking more about the tires sticking out a foot past the fenders on both sides LOL...BIG WIDE fender flares? idk what the texas laws are about tire's stickin out past the fenders..but in oklahoma it's 2", but i've never heard of it being enforced LOL..although if i was running tons with swampers, i bet i'd get stopped pretty quick lol
Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 PM

Ahh I see where you were going with that one now. Actually you are right, though here in Tejas I believe it's 3" beyond the fenders. Have to check my police handbook... But I've never had a problem with it, nor have even heard of it being enforced, and I've driven my buddy's jeep on rockwells with 44" boggers sticking FEET out past the fenders lmao...
Old 05-12-2010, 05:06 PM

nice to see you back! thats one purdy runner! hmm...how long before it gets painted green??
Old 05-12-2010, 05:10 PM

I dunno. I've kinda forsaken Kawasaki ever since I got my Yamaha Raptor... So I actually dunno if I can ever allow myself to paint another vehicle Kawa Green. It does however almost perfectly match Yama Blue though.

Hey thanks, that's another argument I can pull if the gf ever gets any ideas about taking her 4runner back lol.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:45 PM

Ok, and well apparently the previous owner either had a bad case of BO, or his personal hygiene just wasn't up to par (which is weird because the interior is pretty good) because man, those seats REEK! After about a day, whatever spray he sprayed started to wear off...

Anyone have any advice on getting odors out of seats? So far we've tried fabreeze airspray (air freshener bottle) and fabreeze auto mist (windex style bottle), and they still start to stink whenever the truck heats up. Which wouldn't be a problem, but I happen to live in TEXAS where last year we had 100+ days of +100deg weather...
Old 05-12-2010, 05:48 PM

only thing i can recommend.

take em out, and wash em!!!!

or replace them with newer, more comfortable seats
Old 05-12-2010, 05:49 PM

and yea theres a '80 chevy on rockwells with 47" LTBs and he takes it to walmart to get groceries sometimes lmao
Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
quite the opposite of my HJ60 Landcruiser where the outer sidewall is at least 5" inside the rear fender haha
Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Clint!

Sweet runner, like the colour!

When does the chopping/hacking begin? Is your torch hand getting a little excited?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Clint!

Sweet runner, like the colour!

When does the chopping/hacking begin? Is your torch hand getting a little excited?
Man you have no idea. Finally got myself almost all the basic tools to have a mini shop in my own garage, welder torch compressor motor stand and cherry picker, so I can finally do things at my own leisure. It's so nice being able to use air tools again lol (just did the clutch on my tacoma. took us about 6 hours to get it out and on the floor without using air tools. Bought a compressor the next day, and it took us an hour and a half to put in the clutch and bolt it all back in. Hell of a difference). So I'm excited as heck to start being able to build in my own garage.

As far as time frame goes, I'm going to Denver next weekend for my cousin's graduation from Johnson & Wales University, and the week after that we're gonna pull the 3.0 with a broken rod out of my buddy's 95 4runner so we can drop this other 3.0 in there. So I probably won't get to start chopping on this 4runner till the beginning of June.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Hey thanks, that's another argument I can pull if the gf ever gets any ideas about taking her 4runner back lol.
haha no problem!

As far as the seats go take them out and wash them with tire cleaner at the car wash. It wont hurt them, just let them sit out in the sun for a day or two to dry. I did this with my entire interior and man did it make a difference.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by chrishf12
haha no problem!

As far as the seats go take them out and wash them with tire cleaner at the car wash. It wont hurt them, just let them sit out in the sun for a day or two to dry. I did this with my entire interior and man did it make a difference.
Hmm... Might have to try that. Didn't grow mold or anything in the foam or upholstery or whatnot did it? Or am I just crazy when I get the mental picture of hosing down the seats with the pressure washer at a car wash, then dousing them with tire cleaner? And why tire cleaner if you don't mind me asking?