Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stupid, stupid, stupid (I hope I found source of front end noise anyway)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid, stupid, stupid (I hope I found source of front end noise anyway)

I put on the OME 2nd option. No issues except that the shop couldn't get an alignment done because some of the bolts were completely frozen. Explains why my alignment hasn't shifted in spite of all the crazy offroading I've done lately... (only other issue was no instructions with springs to ensure I put right spring on the right side DOH:pat: )

Anyway, everything is back together and I keep hearing noises from my front end. New noises, not like the muffler bracket on the exhaust pipe that likes to rattle. Noises like clanks after I turn sometimes, particularly if I let off the gas. Clunks when I drop or stuff a tire on potholes or holes in the mud roads. Kerchunks when I go over hills offroad.

So I retorqued lug nuts, spacers, everything touched by my suspension lift. I banged on everything under the car and noise didn't change.

So I was thinking and realized that I had not re-greased since I did the lift so now all my drive shafts should be more fully exteneded, leaving space in them to flex and make noise. So I crawled under today and greased. I had to hit most with 8 or 9 pumps to get all the air out. Since then no noise although I've only driven 1 day with about 50 miles, 15 of that offroad.

Does this make sense? I really hope that I've found the source of my stupidity...

Oh, and pictures to follow when I can borrow my wife's digital to take pictures of the installed spacers (did rear one week and front a week later).
Old 10-28-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well If you greased everything, and the noise went away you might have solved the problem. But You might want to check to make sure all your suspension is tight. Make sure no bolts are loose and all the bushings up front are not cracked to bad. I had the same thing on an old ford I had (totally diff. I know but still...) and it ended up being that my left front coil was rubbing up and down on the lip of the spring mount. just my 2 cents.