Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah!!
Old 03-06-2008, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

I just heard the CEO of Barrick Gold say that with platinum prices getting so high that GOLD is an alterative to platinum for use in cats. Wait till the tweakers get hold of those
Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I taking mine out

After talking to the local P.D. that I was on the call with the other night. He said that tweaker is still in the hospital. He also said tweaker dude had 63 cats and exhausts in his yard and he said tweaker dude was well equipped with removal tools, 4 sawsalls and a pnuematic bolt /cable cutter among other various tools.

He also said that cat theft is such a growing problem that they are going to make up a team just to deal with cat theft only. He gave a couple of words of advice also, he said to etch your vehicle license number into the cat and also etch, if stolen call (insert your phone number) that way they can call you to possibly recover it.

Even after hearing that and seeing the pile of them in that tweakers yard, then my neighbor getting hit last night while he was out to dinner. (They got his new Tacoma the same way they did my partners, they cut from as far up front as possible, all the way back and took everything with it, O2 sensors and all.)

I decided, I'm taking my cat out and replacing it with the Downey Off-Road aftermarket one, they sell the bolt on one for $85.00. I figure, what the heck, it's one less thing to worry about and cheap insurance(Ok Maybe)

I think I'm keeping the old one though. My buddy who owns a test only shop, kinda got me worried, he said, it's harder to pass smog with the aftermarket cat...? Don't know about that, but when the time comes, I'll either have sold my 4Runner by then or I'll have the old one for a back-up.

RRIND
Old 03-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RRIND
My buddy who owns a test only shop, kinda got me worried, he said, it's harder to pass smog with the aftermarket cat...? Don't know about that, but when the time comes, I'll either have sold my 4Runner by then or I'll have the old one for a back-up.

RRIND
Yeah the aftermarket cats are less effective, probably because they have less precious metals in them. If you have an OBDII vehicle they might cause a P0420 code to be thrown. I got my carsound cat on ebay for about $60 (same as Downey sells but its not bolt on).

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-07-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 AM

Downey Off-Road aftermarket one, they sell the bolt on one for $85.00.
Downey sells Magnaflow cats from what I have found. Not that they are bad hell thats whats going on my truck in a two hours.

I was going to use their exht. system till I found that out and I can have the muffler shop make the same kit for $100 less.

Also check www.partstrain.com they are really cheap on their as well.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by RRIND
I think I'm keeping the old one though...but when the time comes, I'll either have sold my 4Runner by then or I'll have the old one for a back-up.

RRIND
Definitely a good idea to hang on to the old one. The cat was stolen from the wife's 4Runner last Sunday morning, but I still had the one that came off my truck. Had to miss a day from work to get new gaskets but at least we didn't have to buy a new cat.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:12 AM

Tweekers need to learn how to work for a living. And stop steeling stuff from people that work hard day in and day out to by the thangs in life that we wont.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like I should give up my career and start stealing cats!

did anyone figure out how to stop them yet?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
someone tried to get my cat of my 85 celica last week. didn't get to finish the job. i went straight pipes last friday and sold my cat. the guy i caught had 3 in his s10 and the cops have been looking for him for about a month. "i swear he fell down the stairs officer" "but the stairs are inside the house.........?"
Old 03-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 4bytruckin
someone tried to get my cat of my 85 celica last week. didn't get to finish the job. i went straight pipes last friday and sold my cat. the guy i caught had 3 in his s10 and the cops have been looking for him for about a month. "i swear he fell down the stairs officer" "but the stairs are inside the house.........?"
Old 03-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

It is good to know that some law enforcement agencies are stepping up on this. The problem with the publicity as someone posted earlier is that tweekers who need cash for a quick fix also get the idea to do it, when they never knew about it....

Ya just can't win!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:02 PM

my cat was just stolen the other day. the turd snatched the bolts right along with the cat. i had to drop 150 to get another same day.

anyone know the bolt size for a 1994 4 cyl pickup bolt on cat?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 PM

ok so after much searching i found this:

(4) 10 x 1.25 bolts that are 1.75 inches long with 4 nuts that match. make sure they have collars or built in washers if they dont get 8 flat washers also.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:08 PM

cat scratch fever

I had two attempts on mine. First time i was able to chase them down with cell phone in hand with pd on the other end. Both perps are in jail. Second time unfortunatley they didn't get it all the way off before they got spooked by passing cops, again i was on the line with pd. Fortunately though one of them was wanted for something else and went to jail. My solution has been install two way paging system without the siren. shock sensor set to ultra sensitive. I'm going to find out from local politicians what if anything is being done and if nothing is being done I'm going to find out how something can be done. I'm going to install a straight pipe. I know this is illegal but if I do get a ticket I will go to court and explain that if the law cannot protect me then i must protect myself. I like the hungry pitbull under the truck idea.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:04 AM

Finally

Well, I finally installed my aftermarket Magnaflow cat and I'm a little upset and disappointed with a the dramatic loss of power.
It feels like I'm driving with the e-brake on, it's kind of puzzling because I did'nt touch anything under the hood at all while installing it.
I did however pull the EFI fuse after driving it for a while and I felt a little gain back, but it still feels like I'm running with the e-brake on slightly.

RRIND

Last edited by RRIND; 04-12-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 4xJedi
Come on guys, you just have to be smarter than the crackheads. Here's my anti-theft solution.

se espanol?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:43 PM

Test Pipe

It is known that out here in Czeclasfornia that we have strict smog laws.... but other then when you take your truck to get smogged or someone tries to steal your cat, when does anyone check for it? I had a friends years back run a test pipe all the time and it had little affect on his truck. He boasted it actually ran better... don't know if that is true but I know someone else considering making a test pipe and running it all the time except for the once every two years to smog it? Anyone else know some else who does this? : )
Old 04-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, who cares if they stole your cat, you don't need it anyways, go to autozone, get some pipe, and weld a straight pipe in there! I don't have a cat on anything, hell my van doesn't even have a muffler... or more than 5 foot of exhaust pipe..
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM

^ me too, I am just running an open 3" downpipe on my pickup! No cat on my turbo truck!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:04 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by matthewdmueller
So I went out this morning to go to work, started my '95 4-Runner 3.0 V-6 4WD and it was very loud. I shut it down immediately, knowing that it sounded fine the night before when I parked it. Took a look underneath and sure enough someone had sawed out my cat. They didn't do a very nice job either and did a little more damage than was required to do the job. Anyway I live in Queens in New York City, and this happened right in front of my house. Just thought I would let everyone know and ask if anyone has had the same problem, and maybe some recommendations on what I should do. I love this city!

sorry to hear about that, inlay pipe in your driveway and alternate current through them so if someone lays down under your truck, they'll be there in the morning lol 240v should work

_______________________-phase 1
_______________________-phase 2

and so on then put a two pole switch to turn it on and off.

Quick Reply: STOLEN!! Catalitic Converter