Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spongy brake pedal nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything? I have the same problem with my 89. Granted I can still lock it up on pavement, there's just a lot of travel in the pedal. I wasn't sure where to start, so maybe I'll just leave it.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by longbow
I gave up on this. I just drive it with spongy peddle now. It stops good enough. I never changed the LSPV out yet. That and all the hard lines are the only thing left. I suspect the problem is either in the LSPV or it has some kind of blockage in the lines.
I seen where you changed your calipers. I have seen some nasty stuff behind the pistons (on calipers) that bleeding cant necessarily get out. The brake lines get nasty on the inside as well. What I have done on a project that is sitting and have the time to let it soak is to fill the line from the Master Cylinder connection with the lines disconnected at the wheels and then reinstall them so as not to leak out for a few days.

After sitting for a few days, I disconnect the lines from the wheels and use a low pressure air hose and blow it out from the MC connection to the wheels to keep from getting a mess in the engine compartment. After I get all of the PB Blaster out, I reverse the flow from the wheels to the MC. There is alot of corrosion in these lines.

If I recall right, one of the metal lines on the rear of the frame is no longer available from the dealer. One reason I use low pressure air so as not to blow out a line.

After you get the lines cleared, you can get an idea of how well the lines are cleared by the way the air will flow thru them. I do this on projects and if you have another means of transportation, it might be feasible for you to do. Mostly just out the cost of some brake fluid. To keep the PB Blaster out of your wheel cylinders and calipers, maybe you could plug them with some golf tees or something similar.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-29-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure high pressure air shouldn't be a problem to blow out the lines. Under hydraulic pressure these lines see 1000-1500 psi. If a 100psi shot of air is going to blow it out, consider it a good thing...you just found a weak link.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had thought about that being a good thing on finding the weak link with high pressure air, just wasnt sure how to word it and make it sound right. Thanks!!! The rear part of the frame and especially on a pickup the brake lines can get in bad shape around the fuel tank up to the Proportioning Valve.