Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

*SNAP* Rear Axle sheared off at 45mph and tire went for a ride!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jeez, sorry to hear, glad you are ok though.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Brenjen
Sorry about your luck by the way, glad no one was injured. Also; it might not be the previous owners fault, sometimes things just break.
I don't think it was the previous owners fault. He is a Toyota Tech and knows his stuff... I think I just wheeled the crap out of tippy and it finally gave.

I won;t know what really happened till Thursday when All Phase and I tear into the axle and 3rd member to see what's going on. I will definitely let you all know and document with pictures too...

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:06 PM

How about a pic of the axle at the wheel end, where the bearing would be.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry for referring to it as a C-clip =/ i guess we were all the on the same page except for those that are familiar with different axles =p

Im happy you're all ok to, that would be scary!

Maybe im confused, whats a 3rd gen 4runner? Isnt a 93 called a 2nd gen? When did they put ABS on toyotas?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:49 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Second gens have rear ABS, but the sensor is in the diff.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Second gens have rear ABS, but the sensor is in the diff.
Not always true.

Some 2nd gens have 4 wheel ABS, where there are sensors at each wheel. PRetty sure this didn't start until 92 though. Either way, not ALL 2nd gens are 2 Wheel ABS with the sensor in the diff.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:55 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
News to me - I thought the 2wheel ABS was even optional, the 4 wheel must be super optional
Old 04-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
2 wheel ABS was technically optional, but its sorta like power windows on most 2nd, and 3rd gen 4Runners.....almost all of them had it. 4wheel ABS was usually for the "Limited" style 94 and 95 4Runners.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by SteveO
Are you talking about a domestic axle, such as a D44 axle? I know those type of setups use a C-clip on the inside of the axle. I was not aware of Toyota's using a C-clip on the inside of the axle. With Toyota having a 3rd member that drops out, how would you get the C-clip onto the inside of the axle?

Domestic innards of the diff:
*snip*

Another image of the inner axle shaft on a domestic or C-clip type axle shaft:
*snip*

Again, with the drop out 3rd, I don't see how you can place a C-clip on the inside of the axle, when the 3rd member is put in.

Unless, you have some special way.....

edit: There is an article that talks about the Toyota's having Pressed in bearings that hold it all together. The C-clip eliminator, uses pressed in bearings. Toyota, as far as I know, uses pressed in bearings to hold it all together. When the bearing fails, you loose the wheel.

*snip*

With the tremendous side loads being placed on our rigs when wheeling, these bearings are prone to loosen up. When my wife was driving my rig home, I was following her and noted that the driver rear wheel was wobbling a bit. I pulled the shaft and drum, and noted that the bearing had some play in it. I decided right there, it was full-floater time. I have the FROR Full floater kit, and it is awesome! I don't worry about pressed in bearings failing anymore due to a heavy vehicle side loading the bearings. Plus, now my bearings are servicable when I want to service them.
I am talking about thr OEM axle.
They use a clip too, but it is served differently and works in a slightly different manner.

this is the clip im talking about

Old 04-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pest
Holy crap, that just seems like something you'd see on some comedy skit, with the wheel flying past the vehicle.

Just while we're on the same topic, is it possible for the front wheels to pop out like that? Or is that just a rear thing with the pressed in bearings?
sure it is. if you dont tighten your wheel bearing nuts, and use the lock washer.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 PM

Just my opinion, but I think at this point, giving your tendancies to push the limits of Tippy, you would be better off going to a Full Floater. Brian at FROR can hook you up with the parts you need to make Tippy into a stronger rig. You may be able to using the existing axle tube, and slap Brian's Full Floater kit on. In the long run, you will definitly be ahead of the game.
its not a matter of tippy is a POS, and need to be upgraded, its a matter of a technician not installing a part correctly.

no need to go to floaters.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
If you are going to wheel...full floater gets you home...semi floater leaves you stranded and/or needing to carry spare rear axles shafts...and you don't have to worry about your rear tires passing your on the trails (or road).

For the price...can't be beat...full floater rocks.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:35 PM

Does anybody have a pic of this "C-clip" at the end of the axle? I'm curious to see it.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=tc;50502507]
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
You can see the splines are stripped.

Here's the end of the axle ... I don't see a groove in it!

thats cause it aint like a dana axle.

its Japanese
Old 04-16-2007, 08:42 PM

Hmmm, I don't know if that is the case for the 3rd gen 4Runners and Tacos. I'll have to check my manuals tonight when I get home for this type of clip.
same.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brenjen
If that is what you folks are referring to; that's not the C-clip that is being talked about (by me at least). That is a spring steel circlip or snap ring if you prefer. The C-clips I & others are talking about are not spring steel & do not require snap ring pliers to remove. I'm sure that's where the confusion is coming from, the Toyota has snap ring retainers, not C-clips. The C-clips we are referring to are named that because they look like a "C" it's not short for circlip.

Edit: thanks for the picture Gonzo!
well thanks for the clarification. but since thats the only c clip on this axle, thats what it is. its a clip. its c shape. its a c clip.

lets not bring up what a dana has on it, cause we arent discussing a dana.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 80W90
its not a matter of tippy is a POS, and need to be upgraded, its a matter of a technician not installing a part correctly.

Yeah Troy and I were discussing this today. If this had happened on the trail - OMG I have no idea what we would have done. It is not like you can get the axle back in there (We sorta tried in order to get it up on the flat bed). But seriously how often does a failure like this happen? Is it really more important for hard wheelers (Let me rephrase - those of us who can be hard on our trucks while wheeling)

So yeah the FF option is being considered for sure!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I think by the time you add in cost and additional cost...the full floater is very economically feasible...I love the full floater. If you have any questions on it, let me know as I did mine recently and still actually remember it.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

I disagree with this.

As I stated earlier, the stock bearings are not designed for the side loading, wheelers place on these. They are designed to carry the vehicle down the road, with the weight of the vehicle square on the tread, thus placeing no sideloading of the bearings. When we wheel the pee out of our rigs, and constantly put a large side load on these bearings, they will eventually wear out. When my bearings wore out, I found it was 50 bucks a bearing for replacement, not including the labor. Givin Molly's ability to drive her rig, and where that rig goes, I would say there is no other option than to go Full Floater. Full Floater will allow her to service the bearings with parts from the local autoparts store, and much cheaper as well. Full Floater setups use tapered bearings, and places the load squarely 100% on two bearings. The Axle does not share the load. If an axle is busted, you pull it out, lock the diff, and continue on.

Full Floater, its the only solution to bearings when the wheeling gets extreme.

Last edited by SteveO; 04-17-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

looks like a snap ring, as others have stated. I think the common C-clip train of thought goes with the domestic axles and c-clips that hold the axle into the center diff.

Quick Reply: *SNAP* Rear Axle sheared off at 45mph and tire went for a ride!