Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Right hand drive conversion, anybody done one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a RHD toyota hilux around my town somewhere, I think its a 1990. I only saw it once parked at the Les Schwab, i think it had the 2.4 diesel.

The only thing I couldn't get used to would be shifting.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info and links. I could buy a RHD jeep right now at the local dealer. Problem is that I am not going to spend $22K on a part time job and for a Jeep at that. It looks like the firewall is a mirror image of itself. I could possibly make the cutouts on the passenger side and cover the drivers side up.

The real problem would be shipping something like a complete RHD dash with A/C and heat box. I would believe that the steering column is the same left or right, same for the instrument cluster. HVAC controls are centralized in the middle. So essentially I need the dash, HVAC, A/C hoses and interior wiring harness. Brake lines would have to be moved also.

To my northern neighbors. Since so many are filtering into Canada would there be a possibility that any have made it to the salvage yards yet? Shipping to the states on something as big as a complete dash has to be scary tho. Thanks again for the input guys.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM

Many of our postal vehicles in my town are RHD. Can you use the postal service vehicle? or hell, just slap on an orange flashing light and drive on the wrong side of the road.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 PM

Rural carriers have to provide their own transportation. Flashing light is required, driving on the wrong side of the road will get you fired instantly. I am using a LHD caravan right now but would love to see that thing go so I can use a 4runner. 4WD would be so much better in the winter.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 PM

i found this if it helps at all

http://www.postalthings.com/

http://www.wsv.co.nz/conversions.htm

and this well dont fit in here but i found it looking for the rhd it a impreza playing in a snow park sweet and hes nuts!!!!!!!
http://www.speed-driven.com/
Old 01-22-2008, 05:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
whoops. my fault.
i guess i missed that 1st post, or was it changed

and yes, postal delivery would be a good service for any toyota.

but, my question still stands, (yes, i get that rhd cars actually drive on forward on the left side of roads in other countries).

why are there 2 different types/sides of drive?

for what purpose (other than being different) did that occur or begin?

thanks for the patience and good luck finding your rhd swap.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:42 AM

http://www.postalthings.com/right_hand.htm
Old 01-22-2008, 06:01 AM

I use my 87 runner to deliver mail in. I stretch my leg over the consule and drive just fine from the passenger seat. The only modifcation I made was to bolt a block on the gas and brake pedal to make them easier to reach. I get about 14 mpg delivering mail but mine is the 22re.

Chad
Old 01-22-2008, 12:38 PM

on that last google thingy look at the ford 150 and tell me you wanna drive it just think if that air bag goes off your screwed!!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 PM

If you really want to do the swap and your V6 isnt in the best shape anymore you could do a complete diesel motor swap from a half cut which would get you all the dash and steering components you need and would be a TD. Good on mileage. The toyota diesels run beautifully. Talk to Mike Hooper at www.jarcoinc.com and he can tell you about converting a runner to RHD as he has done this in his. I don't know what year it was in but he did the complete swap. Jarco is where I got my diesel swap stuff from. But I left mine LHD.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:04 PM

I have what I think are above average mechanical skills but when it comes to bodywork if I can't bolt it on and it matches forget it. A half cut would be awesome but the price would be steep I'm guessing. I think if I can come up with a dual pedal setup that works I can run with that for now. I am vertically challenged so the pedals are my biggest problem, the steering wheel is easy to reach and control.

Thanks for all the info and advice. I did some searching on google and found the links to the postal conversions listed above but they look too bulky. If I cant have a true RHD I dont want to lose the ability to use it as a LHD vehicle.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:06 PM

ive seen some guys run a couple bike gears and a chain inside the dash so the steering is unchanged but still moved over. and move the pedals and brakes. thats the easier part. might even be able to just run linkages and cables for those too. so its just moved controls. kinda drive by wire like. but a little more mechanical.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 PM

I think that is the route I am going to have to take. I will have to check to make sure there is clearance for a chain to run below the dash and heater. I am trying to shy away from having a chain up at the wheel. I would like to still use the vehicle for personal use when not delivering mail.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is a place that does deisel conversions, i think it's called "deiseltoys.com" or something, google it or search on here,

anyways, they get the half-cuts and then use all the parts they need (engine/tranny? wires whatever), but I would bet that they have got a few left over parts from these conversions, parts that you might be able to use,

one thing of note: If I remember correctly, they said that one of the most time-consuming (ie. expensive) parts of the swap is getting the wiring done right, they use most of the factory wiring from the half-cut that they get, but the have to extend alot of stuff because all the parts (in the cab) are going to be on the wrong side

I know that you aren't talking about doing a deisel swap, but you would basically be doing the opposite of what they have to go through for the wiring, you are going to have to run all your wires for everything over to the other side, there is alot more crap wired up behind your dash than you could ever think of: two clutch switches, one brake switch, cruise control (4buttons), windsheild wipers, windshield washerfluid, turn signal(s), switche for the head/driving lights, horn, ignition, hazards, everything for the speedo/tach/idiot-lights/gauges and a bunch of relays and all kinds of other crap-ola with wires

and on top of all that you are going to have to think about: the brake booster, clutch master cyl, throttle cable, e-brake cable, etc, etc, and then you are still going to be shifting backwards too

I am not trying to discourage you or anything, I guess just consider yourself warned, this is not a weekend or two job, and you are most likely going to spend way more money/time than you ever thought to begin with,

my .02: if you really want RHD, then just look around for another used vehicle that's already got it, and you can deal with to beat on for your temporary job (are you some kind of yota-masicist that wants to punish that second one worse than whatever it's already been through? really, you are going to make it deliver junk mail and credit card bills? )

oh, and keep the second 4runner in the backyard, neighbors love it when you do that, and then you'll have a spare body if you ever roll the '91
Old 01-23-2008, 12:36 AM

I do have a sickness when it comes to Toyotas. I would rather be driving one while delivering those lovely credit card bills too. I was planning on converting the auto trans one. Too complicated to do the stick and I already have enough crap in my hands delivering anyways. I have no roblem shifting the stick from the passenger seat tho (had to do it for the wife while she was driving and flappn her gums on the cel phone).

I have no problem converting the wireing also. For some strange reason I have been always drawn to automotive electrical problems. If I do start this project I don't see it hitting the road until summer maybe fall. I have a Caravan now so I am not in desperate need of a delivery vehicle. Just trying to build something more user friendly and Toyota.

I plan on keeping both 4runners until they die. The 91 will disentegrate here in the next couple of years from rust then I will park it out back to impress the neighbors. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 AM

I have the same sickness toyotas. I use to deliver my route with my 2000 tundra but the mpg was very poor. On occasion I use my wifes echo but it is a pain in the butt. You might look in the back of your rural carrier magazine (if you get one) there are several places to order the dual controls from. If you do the conversion let us know how it turns out. Good to find out there are other RCA yota nuts around. I will have to post a pic of my mailyota.

Chad
Old 01-23-2008, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Canada is being Flooded with Hilux surfs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so a RHD model would not be hard to come across. you could also fool emissions by keeping an american 4Runner just for tests then stick all the papers on the Surf and i'm fairly certain that you cannot do a LHD-RHD conversion with out extensive work. it would be cheaper and safer to just by a Surf from Canada, and drag it down to the usa and do what i recommend.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:23 PM

My half cut came to $4200 shipped. But the part about the wiring being a pain is completely true. It was a pile of work but works flawlessly now. It would be much easier doing the diesel swap using the RHD parts as the wiring would not need to be moved at all. Everything would line up.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 AM

People are right there are alot of surfs here in British Columbia, but theres way more of these little diesel vans Mitsubishi Delica's. Anyway these guys import Surfs among other diesel vehicles and may be willing to sell parts off some of thier parts vehicles vicustomcarimports.com or try mustang.bc.ca. Looking at pics online gauges look the same and pedels are in the same order as the left, signels and headlights look reversed. I want to get a 89-95 hilux double cab and switch it to left hand drive. They have 3l 2,800 cc diesel that can be turboed and some have solid front axel.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Location: From San Francisco, but attending school in Pomona CA
RHD conversions are really big in the import scene. i knew a guy who did a bunch of them on integras and nissan 240's. apparently the best way to do it is to find a RHD front clip from a totaled surf, cut your clip off, weld on the RHD clip, then start swaping parts. all the steering, and electrical will just switch over with a little fab...

sounds like a pain to me though.. have you thought about fabing up a hand throttle and brake and just sitting in the passenger seat steering with your left hand. might take some getting used to but itd be a hell of alot cheeper

Quick Reply: Right hand drive conversion, anybody done one?