86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear U-joint: tough to grease

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear U-joint: tough to grease

I attempted to search this, but I couldn't find any previous discussion. I have been slowly catching up on the neglected maintenance on my new-old 89 pickup. I was greasing the drive shaft, but the jerk fitting on the rear u-joint is in such a position that I can not get the head of the grease gun on it. Is there a trick to this or something ? I have had no trouble getting to the others...yet.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 AM

I have the same issue. I've tried a needle greaser and the grease just comes out aaround the needle. I've resorted to just not greasing it and just replaced it with a lifetime warranty one it starts squeaking i replace it for free.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've never had a problem greasing that joint. It's pretty easy actually. Just get a flexable hose grease gun and clean off the zerk and fill it up. Done!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds
I've never had a problem greasing that joint. It's pretty easy actually. Just get a flexable hose grease gun and clean off the zerk and fill it up. Done!
Mine isn't that simple, it appears the zerk fitting was installed in such at way that the tip of the grease gun will not fit onto the zerk fitting. The ears of the shaft are in the way when trying to fit the tip of the grease gun onto the zerk fitting. I probably sound like some idiot , but I have never ran into this before and was curious as to if mine was just the odd ball that had the zerk fitting installed funny or if this was a common issue that someone had figured out.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:23 AM

The zerk on mine is between the 2 caps not in the center of the joint or on the cap lik every other joint.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:57 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only 4 bolts to remove that end of the driveshaft, then you can turn the ujoint however you need to ...
Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Only 4 bolts to remove that end of the driveshaft, then you can turn the ujoint however you need to ...
Maybe a n00b question, but whenever you remove this, you're supposed to label and re-attach the flange/yoke with the exact same bolt holes aligned, correct?

Does it matter?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Philbert
Maybe a n00b question, but whenever you remove this, you're supposed to label and re-attach the flange/yoke with the exact same bolt holes aligned, correct?
correct

Does it matter?
The driveshaft is balanced as a single unit, so, yes.

You probably already tried rotating the driveshaft to different positions, which often will give access. But if not, give that a try.

If there's no position that gives you access, then perhaps someone previously pulled the driveshaft apart and reattached in a different position, blocking access to the zerk? It is highly unlikely that the truck came from the factory with the zerk in an unreachable location.

Also, some grease gun fittings are smaller than others; might try a different gun.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 PM

chok the front wheels, lift the rear axle up a hair, and with the tranny in neutral you can spin that sucker till its easiest to reach.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking someone put the wrong fitting on it when the shaft was off the truck!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Uhhh...
When you take the rear driveline off the diff, it doesnt matter what holes it goes back onto..
Now, if the driveline is out of phase, then thats a problem.
Just unbolt the bolts off the driveline
Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome 4Crawler driveline tech info: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...line-101.shtml

fsm: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../3propelle.pdf
Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Philbert

Does it matter?
Only if you take the slip yoke apart - which you shouldn't need to do to grease the ujoint.

Toyota has a couple different bolt patterns, some of which are very near (but not) square. To make sure I don't have to fiddle with it, I try and put the driveshaft back onto the flange in the same orientation it was, the dirt/grease usually mark the flange pretty clearly. Worst case, you have to turn the rear pinion 90* to get the holes to line up.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by FleshThorn
I attempted to search this, but I couldn't find any previous discussion. I have been slowly catching up on the neglected maintenance on my new-old 89 pickup. I was greasing the drive shaft, but the jerk fitting on the rear u-joint is in such a position that I can not get the head of the grease gun on it. Is there a trick to this or something ? I have had no trouble getting to the others...yet.
My rear U-joint is the same way. I can't get my grease gun tip anywhere close to the zerk. I had to replace the U-joint and had the driveshaft out of the truck and still couldn't get it greased. I also tried a needle but it didn't work. The CV ball & 2 u-joints on the upper half were easy to grease. I guess I need to find a smaller attachment for my grease gun.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 PM

I noticed that the forward u-joint on the rear shaft has a angled Zerk fitting and there is no problem getting it greased. Maybe I will attempt to replace the zerk with an angled one. Would probably be easier than waiting for the universal to go out.

Last edited by FleshThorn; 04-27-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
ive never had a problem using a grease needle.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:26 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
ive never had a problem using a grease needle.
hijack on
how do you go about using one without the grease just squirting out around the end of the needle? if i understand correctly, the needle is supposed to sit right on the ende of the zerk, push in the spring loaded ball on the zerk, and you just keep pressure on the needle? any tips would be much appreciated, i am having the same trouble, where the fitting is between two sides of the plus sign, such that the shaft and yoke ears block the gun fitting from going in.
hijack off
thanks guys
dewitt
Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 PM

When the U joint was replaced it was probably installed backwards so now you cant grease it. dont ask me how i know.....
Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoto
chok the front wheels, lift the rear axle up a hair, and with the tranny in neutral you can spin that sucker till its easiest to reach.
do this but use jack stands. it should work. hopefully your grease gun has a flexible hose and a one handed pump or else it can be anoying to hold the gun and the hose and pump the grease.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by de6w6it
hijack on
how do you go about using one without the grease just squirting out around the end of the needle? if i understand correctly, the needle is supposed to sit right on the ende of the zerk, push in the spring loaded ball on the zerk, and you just keep pressure on the needle? any tips would be much appreciated, i am having the same trouble, where the fitting is between two sides of the plus sign, such that the shaft and yoke ears block the gun fitting from going in.
hijack off
thanks guys
dewitt

Yea you need to keep constant pressure on the needle or else the grease won't go into the fitting.

Quick Reply: Rear U-joint: tough to grease