86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Rims are very hot.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Rims are very hot.

Took the 86 pickup out on the highway today, and seem like it was being held back by something. Check the rear wheels and they are very hot, basically burnt my finger on the rear drums. Is this normal? Do these rims run that hot. I just had my rear brake cylinders changed, and am wondering if he didn't make the right adjustments to the rear brakes. He said everything look good and there shouldn't be any problems. He suggested to loosen off the emergency brake cable as well, but I don't think that is the problem.

If I have the truck up on jack stands, (no posi) and I turn the rear wheels by hand, how much resistance should i feel. and should the wheel continue to spin when i let go?

I know these are basic questions, but .....
Old 08-18-2009, 06:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i do not know all too much about brakes besides that they can be a royal pain. Jack up the rear end take off the wheels and drums and take a look, maybe your shoes have swollen due to brake fluid contamination, maybe your drums are scoured, or (what i think the issue is) adjust parking brake... there should be a geared adjuster that u turn with a couple of pair of flat head screwdrivers, trial and error should determine what direction "loosens or tightens" them... A quick search on Yotatech should bring up some results for ya on how too adjust them.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Check that you have oil in your rear end.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:46 AM

the brakes are designed to drag slightly in case the get wet. that way they will dry themselves as you drive. but they shouldn't get as hot as you are describing. warm, a bit uncomfortable to the touch is ok, but certainly nothing that you can't touch.
this heat gets transferred to the wheel directly from the drum.

when I turn my wheels they will spin a bit after I let go if I give them a spin.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:06 PM

jack it up and see if you can turn the wheels by hand if you cant the brakes aren't adjusted right. or the ebrake cables are too tight
Old 08-18-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
... or the wheel bearings are galled / seizing.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:44 PM

Does anybody know how hot the rear diff is supposed to get,like when you get off the hyway,I just installed a 4.88 third and took a test ride,checked for leaks and it is hot enough that you can't leave your hand on there too long,the 5sp tranny is about the same
Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 86smiley
Took the 86 pickup out on the highway today, and seem like it was being held back by something. Check the rear wheels and they are very hot, basically burnt my finger on the rear drums. Is this normal? Do these rims run that hot. I just had my rear brake cylinders changed, and am wondering if he didn't make the right adjustments to the rear brakes. He said everything look good and there shouldn't be any problems. He suggested to loosen off the emergency brake cable as well, but I don't think that is the problem.

If I have the truck up on jack stands, (no posi) and I turn the rear wheels by hand, how much resistance should i feel. and should the wheel continue to spin when i let go?

I know these are basic questions, but .....
i would think that your rear brakes are still engaged. i had the same problem on my prelude and i had to adjust the ebrake and that solved the problem. now as for my trouble i cant get my ebrake to work truck lol. the cable snapped a while ago and i just replaced its still not working :/
Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM

it sounds like the rear shoes on the drums are dragging way to much it sounds like they need to be adjusted
Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you jack up the rear axle then try to turn a wheel by hand, it should spin maybe 1 turn before coming to a stop. The point being that it should turn without much effort- you should feel some drag but shouldn't feel like you're fighting to turn it. One hand laid flat on the tread trying to turn it should be enough to move it.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 PM

check your brake adjustment

should spin with out much drag from the brakes

if the brake adjustment is good then check your diff fluid level, if it is good then i'd say you got a wheel bearing going, are both wheels the same temp?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:43 PM

Years ago a dragging brake shoe on my folks' '72 Gran Torino caused the wheel to get so hot that the tire blew at 55 mph on Interstate 80. We were lucky there was nobody cruising next to us because we were all over the both lanes of the highway and narrowly avoided flying into a ditch. My dad put me in charge of removing the wheel and I burnt my fingertips on the lug nuts. We put on a spare and tried to go, but the brake had seized ... we were stuck.

My advise is, I would avoid driving your truck until you can get to the bottom of the problem, for your own safety and the safety of others.