86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Questions about my 86 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions about my 86 4runner

I finally got my 86 4runner up and running again this week. I changed all the gaskets (including head gasket), timing chain and lifted it. I installed BJ spacers up front, 3" downey leaf springs in the back and skyjacker shocks all around. After the lift I measured the gap from the ground to the fender wells, in the front it's 38" and the rear is 36". Is that right? I thought the BJ spacers only lifted 1 1/2" and the springs were supposed to lift it 2-3". Are first gen 4runner normally higher in front?

In between classes today I decided to take my 4runner out for a spin, luckily there are some decently hard trails only 2 miles from my school. A few minutes later, while tilted 25 degrees to the drivers side, 20 degrees forward and rocking on by front passenger side and rear driver side tires, my heart was pounding and I was wishing I brought a spotter. Go figure I do the hardest trails the one day I'm out alone and without a spotter. Ok now that brings me to my next question.

While out on the trail I spotted a abandoned second generation 4runner on top of a hill, out of site to everyone. It was all dented up and missing 3 tires. At first it scared me a bit thinking "If he didn't make it, can I?" So I parked and walked up to it, turns out it has a complete 22re, both differentials, transmission and transfer case! Free parts car! I plan to take the engine as a backup, probably the differentials too, but what else should I grab? What else fits my first gen? What ratio's came in the 2nd gen 4runners with 22re's? I'll probably buy a hi-lift jack to possibly flip it over to get the suspension, selling the tow hitch alone would probably buy me that new jack, I'm excited

Last edited by strykersd; 09-26-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics please
Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 PM

Careful. You need to register the car as abandoned, then I think depending on local municipalities theres a wait period before you can claim it. Second, were you on private or public land? Private land, could be the owners and you would be committing theft. Public, same. The point, it dosent matter where a car is, you cannot just take it or parts. Thats piracy and at least in this country against the law. Some guy may have gotten it stuck and hasnt gotten it out yet.

First, go get the VIN, make, Model, Tag number.
Find out if its public or private land. All land is owned by someone, just depends on wether its a person, a land development, a govt. entity or a preserve. Someone owns that land, and has claim before you do.
So, if uts public land.. like the govt. then you can claim it. If its private, say like here in TX some massive cattle farm and the owner has no idea its on his far.. contact him.. Ask him if you can tow it off?

Contact the police, declare it abandoed and that you want to claim it.

Now, I dont know the exact law where you are.. but, the law surrounding cars is very strict.. hence getting a title is VERY important. You under NO circumstances should just start taking stuff. If your caught, you can face jail time or a substantial fine.

What if it was stolen, what if someone stole yours? wouldnt you want to know what happened to it? COmpletly possible some drug addicts decided to steal a nice 4x4 and see how much fun they could have.

So, you wanna it.. you need to go through the app. channels.. which do exist. Put a claim on it, infrom the police.. hell they might even tow it out for you to an impound yard to wait to see if it is claimed after which you can have it.

If you tell me your city and state that the vehicle is located, I can check the specific laws at work tommorrow.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:56 PM

Good point, ok I'll report it tomorrow. It's on government owned land, but I doubt they can tow it out of there. This thing definately isn't moving on it's own. Someone decided to shoot it a few times. I'm located in San Diego, California. Thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Front fenders are cut higher than the rear on a first gen.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 PM

Oh cali.. well they are easy.. You can apply for a lien title.. all you do is go, get the forms, get a vehicle reg and mail a letter to everyone listed on the registry. If no one responds by mail claiming ownership, its yours.. then you can have whatever you want. If its not going to run, the govt will probably not care and leave it there.. I would report it to make sure its not stolen, but let them know that if its not and its abandoned you intend to make a claim.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Front fenders are cut higher than the rear on a first gen.
I just went out and measured the distance from the bottem of the body to the ground and it's just about level. The higher front fender just makes it seem like the rear is sagging. Is it worth picking up another inch or two with shackles or blocks? I mean getting it to look level is worth it to me, but are there any adverse effects to it?