86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

posi-traction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
posi-traction?

If I want to maintain my truck as a daily driver but don't want to get stuck when I go off roading (mild-moderate terrain) would a posi-traction help out? I'm considering it as a modification instead of lockers due to price and the ability to maintain driveability through intersections and in town. pros and cons? good idea bad idea?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:12 PM

welcome to yota-tech.

Do a search for "limited slip" or "Tru-trac", there are lots of people asking exactly the same question.

But in general, good idea.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:13 PM

absoutly a good idea. Go with a detroit tru trac. 350 dollars per axle. I have a tru-trac in both front and back. I drive it every day and dont even know its there. It works excellent in mud and even on trails. as long as u dont flex out to much. it still acts as a locker where both tires spin. The only thing i dont like about about it is that it does become useless if u get a tire off the ground or close to but then agian it isnt a locker so that would be expected. fun in the snow, mud and for weekend trail playing.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:55 AM

Limited slip = limited traction. If you lift a tire with a limited slip, it is pretty useless. (Yeah I tried touching the brakes, only served to snap an inner axle. Not too cool.) 350/axle is getting close to selectable locker cost.

I started out with a rear lock right on my Daily driver, a little worse on-road, much better off-road. Added a front tru-track. Little better on road, no better off road. Switched to lockright front and it was worse on-road, much better off-road. switched to ARB front and the front was excellent on and off road. added ARB to back = perfect on road and off road.

Save yourself some steps. selectable locker in the back, then selectable locker in the front.

If you have your mind set on a limited slip: You can use the 7.5 inch supra f--3 series limited slip carrier. it is a drop in. You can use the G--5 series newer supra Limited slip carrier for your rear 8 inch diff, but it isn't a drop in. I built a set of these for about $100 in junkyard parts for a friend. That is a lot less than 700 bones for a pair of tru-tracs.

Last edited by leiniesred; 11-22-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leinie, You didnt have limited slip or it was bad, The last limited slip I had gave 1/4-1/2 turn to full lock and was sweet on the street.
And ARB, Its still a pegleg when its off, Still usless for street.
I dont recomend anything less then a locker for the front, You put LS in the front and it will be the same as open causing broken tierods and CV's.

Selectable is just more costly parts that break faster in the short run.
In the rear Elock if you want selectable or make it locker or LS solid dont waste money otherwise.

Quick Reply: posi-traction?