86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please Help Diagnose: 87 4Runner Tranny sounds *violent* now

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
OK everyone - more updates

fourth gear is toast - I can get it engaged, but at a certain speed and RPM - the moment I am off the gas, it pops out. It will grind if I try to engage at any other speed/RPM.

That said, today I'm feeling a vibration in the clutch pedal when I depress it (when in first gear). I'm also hearing a grinding (yes, this wasn't there before!) when coming OFF LOAD in first or second.

And, I'm noticing a lot of transmission FLEX when under load. Is this normal?

Take a look at these 2 videos and please weigh in. Frankly, I'm a little worried to drive it at all now - I drove to work because I need to pick some stuff up for a work event this week and needed the room.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...9-45-26_62.mp4

Is that “flex” in the tranny normal –ever?

Here is more:
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...-41-58_990.mp4
Old 10-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, as usual, your vid's/pic's are gR8! .... Unfortunately, it's not your normal 'great write up's by philbert!' type stuff! lol... Sorry bout this, man!

Hmmmmm, I would imagine it's the trans/motor mount causing that wrap/flex.

The noise when in neutral pushing the clutch in and out sounds like the flywheel 'gliding' on a 'glazed' flywheel or 'worn out/oily' disc.(ORRRRR, .... worn input shaft bearing/weak slave cyl?

The 1st gear noise sounds like a combination of the clutch/flywheel and Trans-Bearings

The 'wrap/flex'... not sure on that. I would imagine it COULD be trans-mount/motor mounts. If the motor mount is toast, it's secure to the trans and I would imagine under load it would 'wrap'/'twist'/'flex'...... no?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-11-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, as usual, your vid's/pic's are gR8! .... Unfortunately, it's not your normal 'great write up's by philbert!' type stuff! lol... Sorry bout this, man!

Hmmmmm, I would imagine it's the trans/motor mount causing that wrap/flex.

The noise when in neutral pushing the clutch in and out sounds like the flywheel 'gliding' on a 'glazed' flywheel or 'worn out/oily' disc.(ORRRRR, .... worn input shaft bearing/weak slave cyl?

The 1st gear noise sounds like a combination of the clutch/flywheel and Trans-Bearings

The 'wrap/flex'... not sure on that. I would imagine it COULD be trans-mount/motor mounts. If the motor mount is toast, it's secure to the trans and I would imagine under load it would 'wrap'/'twist'/'flex'...... no?

Thanks Chef.....it seems abnormal to me - I can't remember it flexing like this before. I had new motor mounts installed when they did the tranny/clutch 20,000 miles ago. Maybe they are loose. I had my "nice work jeans" on today and it was raining so I didn't get under to look.

Anyone else care to also chime it - if this is normal? Any other symptomatic questions I can answer to help better diagnose?

Thanks guys for chiming in thus far. I just hope it gets me home today!

Phil
Old 10-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mounts for the twist and that grind doesnt sound good at all, almost like its slipping teeth!!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
mounts for the twist and that grind doesnt sound good at all, almost like its slipping teeth!!

Blake, are you saying that it's likely motor mounts/transmission mounts as well - causing the twist - and confirming that the "twist" is not at all normal?

thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Philbert,

It sounds like every part of that trans is toast now. My stepdad had that same thing you have now happen to his 84 truck. It turns out that 3rd gear actually fractured, broke apart and fell into the bottom of the transmission after 560,000 miles. The solution at the dealer was to replace the trans for a nominal fee of $3400. Not a cheap proposition, but he wanted all factory parts only. If it was my truck, I would rather have a used transmission with all toyota parts than ANY rebuild, unless the rebuilder can prove that no trans parts came from China. Most likely, your rebuilder got a great "deal" on a "kit" with crappy chinese fake fraudulent components and put them into the transmission because someone told him that they are exactly the same as factory Toyota parts. Obviously, whatever was used on your transmission is not high quality.

There is a shop in Sacramento that does only Toyota trucks and I think they have a stack of good 5 speeds on the floor. They actually have my 4runner in there right now. Might want to give them a call:

Hought's Kustoms (916) 470 6653 ask for Chad.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks DuffDog - while not reassuring, it's good to know I'm not alone. I may give them a call, though I don't know if I can make it to Sac, let alone Pleasanton, which is 30 miles away from work right now (where the truck is). Some guys at work who have Yotas saw the videos and think I may have a loose/missing motor mount/crossmember mount, causing the tranny to pull away to the right - I need to check that regardless. I may just take the train home and bring tools tomorrow to work and get under it....
Old 10-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philbert, when I sent you that email, I had not seen your updated post. Not good. Were you able to look/work on it today and see what is going on?

For everyone else...I noticed that Philbert has not changed the tranny oil since his remanned one got installed. It seems like he is about to get another tranny soon, and so am I as I am having similar issues to Philbert.

When the rebuilt tranny is installed, is there a loose rule on breaking in the tranny and changing the oil once or twice in the first 2K miles? I know that there is a so called 'rule' for new engines (whether or not people follow this is a different topic). Is there a break-in/oil change rule for a new tranny? A rebuilt/remanufactured tranny?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 PM

I haven't had a chance to since yesterday - I'm the USS Hornet for a work show through the weekend so it's still sitting in Santa Clara at work. I'm going to pick up a used tranny locally (anyone know someone with one for my 87 W56?). I know it's not a new Marlin, but I'd rather spend $200-300 and roll the dice than $1300 right now.

I didn't change the oil, correct, but wasn't told to, and the recommended mileage for doing so is 30,000 in the FSM I think? When I drained it recently and put in Lucas, the oil looked fine and was full the the fill plug.

If anyone local in SF Bay Area also has a tranny jack they'd lend me for a case of beer, I'd appreciate it (when the time comes and I find a replacement).

Phil
Old 10-13-2011, 07:38 AM

Literally just dealt with what sounds like the exact same problem, my w56 ate 4 of the balls from the input shaft bearing. She managed to carry me home another 200 miles home to where my g52 was patiently waiting. If you change it yourself, keep in mind that the trans and tcase are heavy and can kill you. Good luck either way.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 PM

Thanks Boon....I'm on the lookout for a used local (SF Bay Area) W56.

Any of you have a link for a quick reference of what years/models will be plug n play for my 87 sr5 4runner? Found atranny for a 92 4runner with the 3.0 but that is not compatible I believe....
Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 AM

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

Has all the numbers you could ever want
As far as interchange, the 3.0's trans won't work without a rare r150f bellhousing. Best bet is to find another w56, but a g52 will work. Any questions regarding the difference between the two is easy explained in that link.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:27 AM

Thanks Boon!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:29 PM

YES^^ Thanks, Boon, ....great link! I, too, am in the market.... EVENTUALLY..... when this one really starts to give me crap! lol. Oddly, Philbert, mine has gotten better as I develop new sludge after driving a while, post-fluid flushes everywhere! lol.

I really hope you find the cheapest/low mile W56 out there, Philbert.... You're a good dude with TONS of great write ups on here... Which also reminds me that I REALLY hope you can get some hands on help up there! Wish I was closer, man!! Best wishes on the swap/finding one, etc.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Thanks Chef, that means a lot - crossing my fingers too. So far my Craigslist alerts haven't turned anything up.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:10 PM

My Pleasure, Philbert! You've always thrown in whatever you could to help me. Just wish I could help you, HANDS ON! I also could find you one in a day here in L.A.... but unfortunately, that does you pretty much NO good being that you're 7hrs north! lol. TOO BAD there's no Telepods like in the Fly, just yet! hahaha.

My buddy is in Chico and had a motor shipped to him on Amtrak???? hahaha. I think the shop who sells em dropped it, boxed, at Grand Central L.A. and it was dropped just a few miles from where he lives? Bay Area's Big, you'll find one, quickly I hope!

Nothing on Pirate, eh?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Actually no I have not checked pirate yet. Funny thing is that I found out about YT when I joined, posted and got flamed for newb questions on pirate....got a nice PM from someone who was here on this board, recommending I check out YT - very nice. Those guys are mean (And I know several of you nicer guys are on both forums - not a knock at you at all!).

I'll take a look see there. I also posted in the classifieds here for want to buy.

Phil
Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 PM

Oh, trust me, the only reason I stop in there is for classifieds. I just gave up trying to find answers, as I always find them here, even if it sometimes takes a lil longer..... And, here, at least I'm not being called a "F#*(*#@G KNOB!" hahaha.

Actually TONS of great write ups on there, tho..... it's always good for that, for certain, ya know?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Did you find a used one yet? I found someone on CL with two used W56s, each with the t-case still attached. I will send you an email with the info.

According to his 'word' they were both pulled out from his two parts truck 4Runners with 180K miles. He wants $500 for either one. I told him that I already sourced a used tranny from a shop that actually opened the tranny to inspect it. That is for $500. I am waiting on him to respond to my email to see what he goes down to.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 AM

The average I see them for is 200-250$, MT^^. He'd better come down quite a bit. INSPECTED, w/warranty, ...now that's worth 500$ IMHO. Slapping a trans in is not a cake walk and something you wanna find out you have to do again after spending 200$..........LET ALONE 500$! lol.

Quick Reply: Please Help Diagnose: 87 4Runner Tranny sounds *violent* now