86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

An old article I found with some Dyno #'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CoedNaked
I don't know - call me quirky but I'm a little more optimistic about this engine and modifications.

For example, look at a supercharged 3.4 liter V6 (5vzfe). It picks up a decent power & torque gain, but the most amazing thing from dyno curves I've seen is the torque curve is SUPER FLAT in S/C versions. Like we're talking it climbs from idle to it's peak range at around 1800-2000 RPM's and stays flat right up until 4500-5000 RPM's. Maybe not a fair comparison, but like I said numbers in an article don't tell the entire story about dyno improvements neccessarily and like I said a half second picked up in 0-60 times is a pretty decent improvement. A flatter torque curve and more midrange horsepower would be a bigger improvement in my opinion than higher peak gains. It would also be much more noticeable to the average guy.

There is also some question as to whether or not the Downey system is really "the best" for the 3vze. It is 2 1/2" in size and mandrel bent so it will flow well - maybe too well. That is definately the largest you would want to go and not optimal for increasing power from idle throughout the entire RPM band but more popular for guys who want more pull up top.
how in the world can you compare a supercharged 3.4 to a N/A 3.0?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM

I was giving an example where just peak numbers cited off of a dyno chart into an article don't tell the whole story about gains. My mentioning the S/C 3.4's was merely an example where the entire story isn't told. The S/C dyno charts I've seen on these engines show that while peak number gains aren't bad (if I recall correctly with just the S/C added you gain something like 75 HP and 65-70 foot pounds of torque), the super flat torque curve in my mind is more important to the average user than the peak torque gains. Just like a guy saying that you only got 4 rear wheel horsepower from $1300-ish in mods but yet somehow pulled off half a second shaved off the 0-60 times.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this website is pretty funny
Old 01-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...the super flat torque curve in my mind is more important to the average user than the peak torque gains...
Like this one:

It's TRDOLMAN's 2004 SCed 5vzfe
Old 01-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If anybody really wants 3 more hp, I'll do it for only $1992.27, that's a whole $100 less, and all I'll have to do is change your oil and put a new air filter in and do a tune up

Why even bother, the 3.0 is prone to so many problems already, why would you spend money on headers and a k&n FIPK, you're going to need that money for the next headgasket/waterpump/timingbelt/burnt exhaust-valve/random ticking noise

don't get me wrong, I am not a 3.0 hater, I've got one, and I love it compaired to my last truck w/a 22-RE (<<-- better design than a 3.0, but only good if you've got a stock 4x4, 2wd, or a celica) the 22-RE just couldn't get out of it's own way,

save your pennies and get a 3.4 or a new truck w/a 3.4, or my personal favorite of the week: swap in a 2jz-gtte
Old 01-11-2008, 06:24 PM

i paid 800 for my whole exhaust and made my own cold air intake from another car and i love it. it deff. runs better but the main thing is, is that i like it and that is all that matters. so that being said coednaked do what you want to do to your truck as long as you are happy thats all that matters. and my exhaust is 2.5 inch all the way threw and it works just fine with the thorley headers.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:33 PM

I have to wonder how much of their gains were lost with the hot air intake

Isn't it like 7hp/10degrees?

Last edited by Targetnut; 01-11-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:01 PM

I was giving an example where just peak numbers cited off of a dyno chart into an article don't tell the whole story about gains. My mentioning the S/C 3.4's was merely an example where the entire story isn't told. The S/C dyno charts I've seen on these engines show that while peak number gains aren't bad (if I recall correctly with just the S/C added you gain something like 75 HP and 65-70 foot pounds of torque), the super flat torque curve in my mind is more important to the average user than the peak torque gains. Just like a guy saying that you only got 4 rear wheel horsepower from $1300-ish in mods but yet somehow pulled off half a second shaved off the 0-60 times.
agreed.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Targetnut

I know some Tundra owners with the 2uz-fe (4.7 Liter i-Force) V8 complain that about losing torque from "cold air" intake kits. Many guys say you can't smoke the tires with them and have gone back to their stock air boxes. As soon as they went back to the stock air box they could smoke the tires.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 01-11-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:52 AM

I know some Tundra owners with the 2uz-fe (4.7 Liter i-Force) V8 complain that about losing torque from "cold air" intake kits. Many guys say you can't smoke the tires with them and have gone back to their stock air boxes. As soon as they went back to the stock air box they could smoke the tires.
dyno also proves that a K&N intake on a s/c'd 3.4 loses HP... copmared to elbow/deckplate mod.
Now, a tuned intake will give you some power, as long as it gives cold air. Look at the 05+ URD intake... it actually gives power without a tune.. .a true cold air intake...
Old 01-12-2008, 11:41 AM

I think there is another lesson to be learned from this article....

Whenever a commercial magazine "tests" some product it is likely that they are going to give favorable reviews to whatever their sponsors have them test
Old 01-12-2008, 05:14 PM

I'm thinking it's about time for me to orde those LCE Headers for my 3vze.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, do it I wanna see how they do on a truck with a 5sp
Old 01-12-2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Targetnut

mine is more like the isr mod made from a cold air intake hooked to the stock air box with a k&n drop in air filter and it works and sounds great.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by mr toytech
mine is more like the isr mod made from a cold air intake hooked to the stock air box with a k&n drop in air filter and it works and sounds great.
So you actually have a cold air intake.

What we need to see are before and after dyno results from a mod like yours!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
So, then bumpin, what exactly IS the repeatability and reproducibility of a dyno test?

I stand by my statement that these "improvements" are within the variation of the test itself.

They said they gained a .5 second - was that due to the mods, the weather, the track, altitude, the fuel, tailwind?

Basically, I doubt they could PROVE scientifically/statistically that the "improvements" were due to the modifications, not just measurement variation.
I wasnt speaking of the dyno tests, but rather the 0-60 run. Proof is in the pudding. There is no way that they could get a 0.5 second variance on 0-60 in elevation or temperature.

Temperature swings lead to some variances. On the hottest days down here in florida, it will hit 105-110*F near the center of the state - the farther from water the hotter. My 4runner takes 14.2s to go 0-60 in such conditions. On the coldest nights I can remember driving it, 38*F or so, 13.9. Im sorry but if a 72*F temperature swing cant induce a 0.5s variance, then there is no way it can be attributed to variance.

And if I remember correctly it would take somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800 feet of elevation variance to accomidate for a 0.5s variance...

Besides this was all done at one place. So while I dont necessarily agree on the actual number output results, I DO belive the results from the modifications were measurably helpful.

Could they have written it in a more scientific method, with a pourpose, hypothesis, explaination of controls, methods, results and conclusions so that the experiment could be reapeated? Sure, but other than myself and about 3% of the US population, noone likes reading scientific abstracts and experimental results....

I still want to see dyno graph curves. It's area under the curve not peak power that means most. The 0.5s in the 0-60 speaks to that end - the mods allowed more area under the curve.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, at least they washed the truck...

Old 01-15-2008, 08:08 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did the driver miss a shift? Just plain not do something EXACTLY the same?

My point is that the difference is too small to say it's significant and attributable to the mods - there are MANY things that can explain such a small difference.

In legalese, I would say there is plenty of reasonable doubt.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tc

My point is that the difference is too small to say it's significant and attributable to the mods - there are MANY things that can explain such a small difference.

I agree, and given their lack of accuracy about the supercharger and ECU chip info, I'd say a lot of reasonable doubt.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc

I see your point but you are unfairly assuming they were inconsistent in their testing. There's nothing in that article that indicates how, where or when they tested, and there are no dyno plots. It's believable that at the very least the truck was run in the same general area at around the same time of year by someone who was at least competent enough to mash the gas and shift. I'd probably agree that it was within the margin of error if we were talking about a tenth or 2. Also, form a HP/$ standpoint there's $895 worth of labor in that $2,040 total and that intake kit was over $300 bucks. I'd imagine you could net the same results for right about $1k if you did the work yourself and home brewed the intake kit. You're not going to pull off a swap for that, but you could probably argue that you'd be better off saving that $$ to put toward one...

Quick Reply: An old article I found with some Dyno #'s