Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil Leaking from Timing Cover Bolts???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just tryin to help a brother out...times is tight playa.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would say, redo the timing cover, only because a few hours of my time now, is worth many hours of piece of mind later....Good luck chef....I'll be watching this one
Old 10-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys,

Yeah, WOW, that was a low blow! lol... Jk, I understand, Tim doesn't know the whole story, hahaha.

Far as putting sealant on the bolt, a bit back from the tip of the threads, I really have no choice, Tim, if I'm going to at least attempt to seal up this lil leak WITHOUT pulling the timing cover.

Soooooo, guys, I have it all cleaned up in the holes and on the bracket, etc., etc. ..... Eat off of it clean! lol. Just trying to really think it out, because I have 4 bolts that have to go in on the front, one of which needs sealant. And so,..... it's "odd angles", and "limited space", and "WHERE EXACTLY to put the precise amount of sealant", and "How quickly I have to work with this Toyota FIPK", ............ all coming into play. Trust me, I'm not just 'overthinking' this... PLENTY can go wrong if I don't get it just right. Plus, I'm only able to come out here every now and then, then clean up and go back in, then back out here. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! LOL.

BTW, Tim, the Cold Air set up was very reasonable at LCE, IMHO... 199$ for the whole kit, complete. Probably shouldn't have too much trouble finding one, used, either. Good luck on your rig, as well.......... But honestly, ...piece out this cherry rig because of, granted, times taking issues, here and there? NAHHHHHHHH! LOL.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-28-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Hey OR,

Only thing is, I'd have to drop the pan in this IFS spaghetti soup nightmare, lol. So, unless I can do that without fully dropping the pan, and then being SURE that the pan wont leak, after all that... well, Not sure it's worth it to not at least try this in my spare time throughout today, ya know? lol.

However, .... If I end up having no choice but to do so... well, then there you have it! lol. Thanks for chiming in, OR, appreciated.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-28-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
different FSM...same instruction. mine is page LU-11

and just to help with the other ones....

Old 10-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Here you go Chef. The info is from a couple of Yota mechanics.
Hope this helps
take out the 10mm bolt and thoroughly clean ALL the oil off of it. Clean the bore out with a small brush and some alcohol. Get a tube of black RTV gasket maker and smear the shank of the bolt as well as both sides of the alternator bracket and the head of the bolt where the washer is. Put it back together torquing the bolt to spec. 29ftlbs. and let is set up for no less than 4 hours before starting the motor.
It appears to me there is oil leaking from the gasket. If this is the case you have no choice than to remove the cover and replace the gasket.
Below is where the gasket failed if that is the case..

Last edited by toyospearo; 10-28-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Nice Chef! Looks like you almost have it!!!

Yeah, not so sure about the rock timing covers, but hey it looks like you'll be back on the road once you figure out whats up with that bolt!

Way to get all official on us Jerry
Old 10-28-2010, 02:50 PM

Thanks, Jerry, Spearo!

Ok, well, I'm laying there on the ground, looking up, planning it out. My plan was pretty much what you said, Spearo.(Thank goodness I was thinking, cuz I would have skipped a step that would have caused me a nightmare.)

So, wish me luck, ...I'm going to hopefully stop this leak at least for now, and then if not, time to tear it down.

I REALLY appreciate this, Guys! Honestly, I mean it from the heart. I've been pretty discouraged, and the really frustrating part IS NOT that there is something to do... .it's actually 2 fold for other reasons.

1. The obvious.... This machinist screwed me over! lol.. But, that being said and no longer solving anything, .........

2. When I have something like the IACV that's a lil pain in the butt, but I know it's got to be done... FINE, tackled and done! lol. It's these things, 4 TIMES NOW, that I 'can't know if it's going to fix it or not."

I know, everyone on here thinks of their 'time' as precious as me. So, hopefully, you understand. Had to call my dad today and let him know, "Sorry Pops.... doesn't look like I'll be out there till next weekend, maybe later." THAT, my friends, is what ticks me off! HECK, with all the money and time I've spent, I could have bought 2 BEATERS, just so I could say, "Ahhh, I'll get to it later..... on my way, pops!"

Ok, ......enough ranting, hahahaha... THANKS, AGAIN, GUYS!

Mark

PS> Spearo.... you're saying, "if it still leaks after this, or shortly thereafter(1-1000 miles, whatever)... the timing cover just found the next path of least resistance and it's just gotta come off".... Right?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:52 PM

YES, KUDOS, JERRY!

I have the torque specs and such, but GOOD LOOKIN OUT! I guess the long and short of it is.... ''IT'S WORTH A TRY, RIGHT?" hahaha.

GREAT POST TOYOSPEARO!!!!!!

Yaeh Joe, i know what it's like to be searching through that book for torque specs etc....so my little gift to CHEF is that.

Hey Joe, thanks man! I'll letcha know.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:55 PM

Chef, man, anything for you. I've proclaimed "pay it forward" ever since i was deep in my build because of all the help i got, so any help, no matter what, i will give.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PS> Spearo.... you're saying, "if it still leaks after this, or shortly thereafter(1-1000 miles, whatever)... the timing cover just found the next path of least resistance and it's just gotta come off".... Right?
No not exactly. I had a little trouble detecting exactly where the leak is coming from. If it is coming from that 10mm bolt and you do the procedure I wrote it should stop that leak dead. If it is coming from the gasket the bolt procedure will not stop it. It would be the gasket that failed and you would have to take the cover off and redux. It is unlikely there are two failed spots on the cover, gasket AND 10mm bolt/bore.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Chef, man, anything for you. I've proclaimed "pay it forward" ever since i was deep in my build because of all the help i got, so any help, no matter what, i will give.
Me too
Old 10-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
me 3, good luck Chef. I think the RTV on the bolt is worth a shot before you start pulling the timing cover off.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:37 PM

Ok, DONE~!!!!!!

......for what it's worth.. lol.

Actually, I was methodical and I used the Toyota FIPK for the whole thing.

Spearo... NO, the bolt, the ONLY bolt that had oil on it when I pulled them was the 2nd up from the bottom... an 8mm bolt. Right above the bottom left 10MM bolt. The bracket is the 'AC' one though,.... but I can tell that's what you meant, by looking at the picture you posted of the bottom/passenger side of the cover, from a back side view... THANKS, that was very helpful, btw. IT WAS BUGGIN ME not knowing what's going on back in there! lol

I have low expectations, as from looking at that pic, it's likely, eventually, going to just leak through the cover on the sides... But it is worth a try, eh?

Here's a video of the process.... sorry for it being shaky, my hands were just wiped out and I'm very tired, lol.........

THANKS AGAIN, GUYS!

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-28-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:08 PM

My fingers are crossed. Get some rest bud. Tomorrow is a new day.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 10-28-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:21 PM

Hahahaha... yep, I'm WIPED OUT! Thanks, Rob, you're always a good support team, in and of yourself! lol.

Have a good night,

Mark
Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Have a good night,
If it wasn't good...then I would not have it....if you know what I mean.LOL, just another step & stepper's keep on steepin'.

I guess on your watch it's still early, but in Texas it's 10:30 and my alarm goes off at 5:30 so I 'd better shut it down for the night, had a sinus infection or something all week & feeling like crap. Gonna take some nyquil & hit the bed. I'll check back in with you tomorrow, best of luck buddy.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 PM

Hang in there chef!!! Take a break and come back to it with a clear head. The postitive side to all this is you are learning and soon people will be coming out of the woodwork to have you do their 22r and 22re timing chains BELIVE ME! I never thought I had so many friends
I see the bolt yes! I am not sure why you think it will leak from the cover sides after you stop the leak at the bolt hole. The two are very different animals. It looks to me like the gasket and rtv is working well and there shouldn't be any leak from the cover sides. It is very rare for the cover to leak oil if you set it up correctly and it looks to me like you did. There is not a lot of pressure at the cover only what the chain is producing which is minimal.
Do the procedure I wrote above with that bolt only torque it to 8mm spec. I can't imagine that thing is going to leak again. Make sure you have the right bolt for that hole. I am sure you do but I would double check that if you haven't.
If it does leak again get another bolt and try it again. I have MILLIONS of those bolts at the ready if you want to change that one out. If it continues to leak and your only option is pulling the cover off then put back on a OEM cover. Let me know we have millions of those lying around too.

Last edited by toyospearo; 10-28-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaking from Timing Cover Bolts???