86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil Leak Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Exclamation Oil Leak Help!!

So I noticed a puddle of oil under the truck yesterday. I moved to a different spot in the lot and came back and had another puddle (I had to make sure it was mine).

I degreased everything and hosed it al down to find the leak. It appears to be leaking from the outer seal of the oil pump just behind the crank-pulley.

What is the likelihood it is just the seal or could it be the pump? Also from waht it looks like, I can take the pulley off and the pump should seperate from the timing chain cover right?

I did the cam work myself, so I'm not afraid of the wrenches.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its very likely that it is a seal. In fact I changed one this morning. Our plow truck blew the seal yesterday and was spewing oil all over the place. The seal will not cost much money and I have some seal numbers here if you want as I was looking for them this morning. You will need to take the fan off and the fan shroud. You don't need to take the rad out or drain anything. Once you get that stuff off take a 19mm 1/2drive socket and put it on your breaker bar and put it up against the drivers side frame rail. Make sure your coil is disconnected and put the truck in neutral and just give the starter a bump. This will break the bolt loose. Then you take the bolt out and pry the pulley off. This is more or less the hardest part of all as that pulley is really on there sometimes. You don't need to take the oil pump off you can just pry the old seal out with a screwdriver and put the new one in with the proper sized socket to hit it in with. Then put the pulley back on and put the truck in 4low 1st gear and get someone to stand on the brakes inside and tighten the bolt up as much as you can. Then just go at putting all the stuff back on and she should be good to go. Not really a big deal and doesn't take that much time either. And like I said if you want the National seal number I have it written down.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep, pull the front harmonic balancer, remove and replace seal. it is the front seal and not the oil pump seal you are talking about, right.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:50 PM

Yeah 82yota if you have the part numbers that'd be great.

I've done the starter trick when I did the cam a couple years ago. I checked everything out back then and I couldn't imagine it was the pump. I mean it's a simple gearator pump. I just wanted to hear from the community that it was probably the seal. You know make sure that it's just me being paranoid.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:52 PM

Its dripping from behind the balancer. I just can't tell if its the front crank seal and pushing through the pump or it is the outer seal between the pump and the pulley.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:04 PM

Update

So I replaced the oil seal with one from the dealer that is narrower. So far in limited garage testing it appears to be holding.

When I pulled the old one there was some grit in there, I can't tell if it was metallic or not. What are some symptoms (if any) taht the pump is starting to grenade? And is that a concern? When I did my cam and steel timing guides the pump looked good and had a nice tight fit between the gearotor. What is the longevity of the oil pump?