86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NO Compression.....NONE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy NO Compression.....NONE!

I used the search and read a few posts but didn't see anything that sounds to be the same as mine....

So I have been trying to get a 22RE in a 1990 4runner running so I can swap it over into another project I'm putting together. Picked it up from someone I know and he said it has just been sitting around for a long time and he wants it gone, but doesn't know why it doesn't run. Well it was getting spark, it was getting fuel, timing is on....so I checked the compression. Cylinders 1-4 dont move the compression checkers gauge in any manner what so ever... Checked timing again and again. Valves are closing on the compression stroke. So the other options, correct me if I'm wrong, would be valves or rings. BUT in my head if you have a bad valve or rings there still should be something register on the gauge then die off right? Am I missing something here? Any pointers, direction, anything! It has me stumped.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:51 PM

Is the gauge faulty? Check the gauge on another motor
Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 PM

Also for got to mention. Put your finger over the spark plug hole and try cranking. It should push your finger back with the air.

To me sounds like a faulty gauge tho
Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also had zero compression in #4. After 200k with no adjustment, all the valve clearances were tight but there was NO clearance on #4 causing it to never fully seat. Valves stretch with time and valves won't fully seat. I bet a valve shim job will fix you right up.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very sorry, noticed you said 4 banger. I don't know if the same is true for 22RE.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 11-13-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:52 PM

if someone else was fiddling with the engine earlier it requires a lot more of a check for the fundamentals. put it on a stand. shine a light down the spark plug holes and look at the thread if you can. idiots can literally strip the spark plug threads out of an engine if overzealous tightening the plugs or putting the wrong ones in. crank the engine while you're looking in the holes to make sure all of the pistons are there. If that all doesnt find the issue, pull off the oil pan to make sure its still got a full rotating assembly. get another compression checker, or get a shop to do it for you. make sure its not the tool you're using. check and make sure they didnt just pull off the heads once, and put it together without a head gasket. If there isnt a head gasket, or if all else fails, pull the head and make sure the valves and valvetrain are still on.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 PM

thanks everyone for your pointers. I did check the gauge on another motor and it is working correctly. i also already checked to make sure there were actually pistons in there, they are going up and down. I read somewhere that somebodys timing chain had broke causing all the intake valves to bend and get all messed up. I'm going to have to pull the head off and check to see if the valves are all in fact in one peice and not all jacked up. But right now its sounding like I'll be replacing some valves next weeked. WEEEEE!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Valves stuck open from sitting and not being turned over? Pop open the valve cover and hand crank the engine to check valve movement.

Last edited by beantickler; 11-14-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen valves that look good, and seem to be working fine, but will cause absolutely 0 compression due to a slight bend. Most likely your problem.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 PM

So I got around to pulling the head this weekend, intake valves all have a nice little flat spot along the lower side and you can see light through them. So I priced out getting it machined and new vavles and springs, that crap crap adds up real quick! Found a rebuilt head on ebay for 170 including all new valves and springs with a one year warranty, that seems like the way to go.