Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are some pictures of what im working with
Build date of Nov 85'
Attached Thumbnails Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0588.jpg   Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0591.jpg   Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0594.jpg   Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0589.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 04:22 AM

Here are a few more pictures of this project that I'm almost wishing that i hadn't started. The only visible rust i can find is in the rear fender and around the gutters. The gutters are surface only as far as i can tell but the rust bubbles on the rear fender will need a little more attention. That stuff will be addressed after this thing is running and driving.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0596.jpg   Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0601.jpg   Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0598.jpg   Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0609.jpg   Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0612.jpg  

Old 01-04-2017, 03:27 AM

Picked up the necessary parts and hardware to do the 5 speed swap. Is there a data plate or tag somewhere on the trans that identifies exactly which trans it is?
Also, in front of the auto shifter assembly there is a small ECT box. Im assuming that is the Transmission controller. Does it need to be removed or modified ?
Will the ECT button that was formerly mounted in the center console still be used or will it be removed?
Old 01-04-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
the ECT button has no function for the manual transmission.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:56 AM

So the box and the button should be left alone ?
Old 01-04-2017, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I have never converted an auto to manual. I have read where some put in the pedal and manual transmission and to trick the computer, what they do is a certain wire on the computer, they ground it. As I understand it, it basically tells the computer that the transmission is in neutral all of the time.

I am not aware of a tag but this may help... https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...built-complete May need to just do a picture comparison.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-04-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:09 AM

Thanks! I will clean up the donor today if there's time and take a few pic's . Also while searching on Pirate i found a FSM Wiring diagram for the 86 4runner. heres the link to the thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...book-86-a.html

With all of the help from here and various other sources im finally starting to get a grip on this sometimes overwhelming "project" Thanks too all that have chimed in so far.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:19 AM

Looks like a fun project. It is nice that you have another driver so you don't have the stress of keeping the vehicle operating while working on it.

Regarding the rust, there is always more where you can't see it. I have pulled apart panels spot welded together and many times there is just rust hanging out there. Once you remove trim, try to see what you can see that you couldn't before. Granted, it is always nice to have very little visible rust, but be aggressive in your approach, especially to where you can gain access to the inside of the body panels.

Can't help with the electrical, but keep with it! Keep thinking of when you'll get it out driving on the road and how that wouldn't happen without your intervention.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
That isn't FSM or EWD but it should give you what you need mostly.

If you haven't seen the walkthrough a yotatech member did yet it's worth a read there will be model year differences but it's similar enough to point all the fiddly stuff like making the backup lights turn on.

On a semi related note I tried to pull the 86 EWD from the way back machine and it was gone, it says they have it but then the server can't find it.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Link

https://sites.google.com/site/wasted...nsmission-swap
Old 01-04-2017, 11:26 AM

Im hoping that with some of the "pin out" diagrams/pictures and the stuff in the link i posted i will be able to track/trace everything down well enough to get it going. Thanks for the link, there is definitely good general info in that swap write up .
Old 01-09-2017, 03:34 AM

5 speed swap with transfer case.
Its dirty but it seems to be in very good mechanical order, No leaks, everything moves freely with no noises and the lube that i can see inside through the shifter hole looks good and doesnt smell burnt . Im hoping that i have a good trans and im going to gamble with it and just clean the exterior up, change the fluids, and drop it in with the engine after it is back from the machine shop and it is reassembled. Any comments, advice or tips are very much welcome .
Attached Thumbnails Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0661.jpg   Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0662.jpg   Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0663.jpg  
Old 01-20-2017, 03:39 AM

Here's a few pic's of the trans after a cleanup and fresh paint. Im still not exactly positive on which one it is. I am going to replace the input shaft seal and gasket before i go much further. It also needs shifter seats/bushings. The oil that came out of it and the T-case didnt look too bad so im going to cross my fingers and hope its good to go. What is everyone's opinion on which oil to run in the trans and case?
Attached Thumbnails Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0685.jpg   Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0686.jpg   Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-img_0687.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 03:47 AM

Ok so Im going to take an educated guess on the transmission that i have .Thanks to Terrys87 and the link that he provided, I believe that it is a G54. If it is not hopefully someone will chime in .
Last night i was trying to get some of the birds nest of wiring kinda sorted out. As far as i can tell at this point there is only 1 wire that is in the "replacement " harness that the original harness doesnt have . I dont think it is going to be an issue but i guess we will see.
My main concern/question is what to do with the part of the harness that was associated with the automatic transmission and what to do with the ECT computer/control box that is mounted right in front of where the shifters will be . I have done some searching on here and Pirate and havent really come up with anything solid.
If i unpin and remove all of the associated wiring to the trans with exception to the neutral switch and the 4x4 switch will it run?
If the ECT is needed for the truck to run, where is it supposed to be mounted other than right in the open and in the way? If its only necessary for automatic vehicles can it be completely removed from the vehicle?
Old 01-26-2017, 03:17 AM

Paging all manual transmission swap guru's..
Surely someone on here has done this or had the same questions?
Old 01-28-2017, 11:59 PM

Yep been covered, Google site:yotatech.com transmission swap automatic to manual or a340 to g## or w56

Disco the ETC computer, wire the engine ECU to see it in neutral.