Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

newbie-89 hilux

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that was and will very soon be again one bad a$$ truck.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
that there is the exact reason i like to have a STRONG front bumper on my rigs...im about to have to find a nice lookin strong one for my '86..its got a WUSSSSSSY bumper on it right now..and its bent..and looks fugly..if you would have had a burly warn bumper..i dont think the damage would have been that bad...still would have been bad..but not as bad as that...
The truck is supposed to crush like that. With a strong bumper he truck might have survived but the driver would have been injured, that sucks even worse then a broken truck.

Last edited by gte718p; 08-16-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Nice Hilux, that motor will take a crap load of torture and will last well over 1 million km's. At least my friends is...

2. ARB winch ready bumper is only $900cdn at www.rocky-road.com

3. a 4Runner front fender/hood/bumper would fit, only the grille would be a problem.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:47 AM

Where did that truck come from? The right hand drive and 4 doors I didn't think were available in Canada. I diesel I think was though. I'm jealous any way you look at it.

Last edited by toyminator2000; 08-16-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigt
too bad that big or bad country offroad in b.c never updates there webpage..

we need more canadian mail order places!
Yeah, Those big country custom boys are not really into computers that much I ended up just calling them and talking to Taran ( owner) about what I wanted to do....

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team

2. ARB winch ready bumper is only $900cdn at www.rocky-road.com
I wonder how much shipping is...
Old 08-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

oh you got it wrong Jay... it is $750 then add shipping is and duty, it would be around $900
Old 08-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Im pretty sure it would end up being more once it comes across the border.

shipping + Tax + duty
Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Well you can always make a little run for the border... rent a mail box and have it shipped there, then when it arrives hop across for the weekend go "camping" and bolt the thing on there. Just use a torch and loosen the bumper bolts on the old one before you go. Come back across via a different border crossing and no worries.
Just an idea I'm not advocating breaking the law or anything... wink wink...
Old 08-17-2008, 08:52 PM

I second the ARB BullBar....wouldn't own another truck without one. Besides can't beat the strangth of a one-piece deisgn, unlike the Warn.
Nailed a deer a low speed once, had someone slide into me on ice in winter, and it does a great job of protecting the entire front of the truck from branches and trees, etc. Still holds up 'cept for scratches.

Great to see a pretty heavily modified Hilux in Canada. I'm jealous of your cross-over steering setup. Need to get a RHD IFS steering box for that...someday. I also wish a had some fender flares like that too. Sweet rig and hey to another Hilux DoubleCab owner!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aviator
Well you can always make a little run for the border... rent a mail box and have it shipped there, then when it arrives hop across for the weekend go "camping" and bolt the thing on there. Just use a torch and loosen the bumper bolts on the old one before you go. Come back across via a different border crossing and no worries.
Just an idea I'm not advocating breaking the law or anything... wink wink...

Heh, I used to get a (former) member to send me parts marked as gifts
I think the gov't has taken enough of my hard earned dollars...
Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM

My truck was imported over from japan. for thouse of you who didn't know.
this is why it is double cab, diesel and RHD. currently with 72,000 km. and in canada you can import vehicle's that are RHD as long as they are 15 years old... although this may be changing to 25 years. i can just go to North Shore Off Road to get an ARB... then i don't have to deal with the shipping and border, this and that. i've had enough nightmare's i don't need more. LOL.

pretaco;

did you order you ARB for an 1989 toyota pick up? does it just bolt straight up?

and yeah i have the SKY OFF ROAD high steer arms with a land cruiser steering box. and trail gear links.
and my flares came from the phillipines. cuz the guy i bought the truck off got them when he was there.

overdrive
Old 08-18-2008, 08:55 PM

I always get weird looks and such when I cross the border into the US. Never any problems though (knock on wood)...actually brought the Eezi-Awn over that way and also Engel fridge...no one noticed (kinda like aviator said).

Anyways, you can't order one for an 89 pickup (North American) because they are all IFS. You need one for an 89 Hilux Dual Cab (these bars have the newer lines for the newer Hilux body, yet fit the solid axle frame up front). The part number is 3414020. Anything else is for IFS and won't be an easy bolt up. This part number works for all overseas solid axle pickups 1989-97 (Dual Cab, Single Cab, and if you can believe it a cab chassis model as well!) These bumpers can also be had for less than a grand too like Belize Off Road Team noted.

Can your bumper do this?

Just curious, are those REAL Hilux fenders (RHD)...or did you get LHD fenders and have the antenna hole filled on the right fender and drilled out on the left fender? Also can you reuse the parking lamp/turn signal lenses(sweet dual signal lights!) or do you have to get normal lenses with only park lamps?
Old 08-19-2008, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Heh, I used to get a (former) member to send me parts marked as gifts
I think the gov't has taken enough of my hard earned dollars...
marking them gifts is the way to go!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:15 AM

A guy here in Okinawa has a lifted '89 Hilux double cab with the 2.8l diesel engine that is going to hit the junkyard next week...only reason he is junking it is that none of the lift or anything is on the title of the truck so it won't pass JCI....its a shame that its going to just get junked, if my wife would let me i would snatch it up and try to get it legalized...but unfortunately that's not goin to happen. if any of you Hilux guys need something small from this truck let me know, and i can see what you can do...i just found out from the post office today that shipping to canada is not that bad...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pretaco

Also can you reuse the parking lamp/turn signal lenses(sweet dual signal lights!) or do you have to get normal lenses with only park lamps?
Those dual lamp lens are a direct fit for the any truck in the 84-88 and 89-95 body styles respectively the only difference is you have to get the light and socket for the turn signal as well and splice them into the turn signal in the bumper. Since all the wiring is not there on the 89-95s, some of the 84-88 trucks do have the wiring for it up in behind the light and some don't, same procedure applies though.

Last edited by aviator; 08-19-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:44 PM

pretaco;
thanks for the part number!! that's what i kinda figured for the IFS front end. cuz the LN frame i would imagine be a little differant.
let me know if you would like the part numbers for the high steer kit.
the Eezi-Awn. is that a canvas bed cover? does it keep the water out of your bed so you can actually store stuff with out getting wet if it rains?

fortunately only my passenger side fender was damaged so the body shop had to modify for the antenna hole. the driver side was fine along with my corner lights!! thank god. it would be close to impossible to find them. the only thing that i had to do is get junk yard bumper lights though. and that plug is differant but not a big deal to cut and attach the differant plug.

cbrsport17;
to bad for your friends truck. by any chance does he have the ssr-x front seats with the lombar support and what not.
i have the north american seats (SR5 seat) which are more comfortable but of course i am using the passenger seat with no adjustments but yet still better than the original hilux seat. yeah so my passanger get's a more comfortable seat.

overdrive
Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by overdrive00
pretaco;
cbrsport17;
to bad for your friends truck. by any chance does he have the ssr-x front seats with the lombar support and what not.
i have the north american seats (SR5 seat) which are more comfortable but of course i am using the passenger seat with no adjustments but yet still better than the original hilux seat. yeah so my passanger get's a more comfortable seat.

overdrive
he's got the recaro seats out of the Surfs out here, but he 4 wheeled that truck like crazy so the interior is shot to say the least.....
Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 AM

Eezi-Awn is a type of Roof Top Tent built in South Africa. Mine is mounted on the bed kinda a la the Expeditions West Tacoma (look it up)...

The cover on the back of my truck is factory Toyota from Japan (truck came with it) it is a rubberized canvas material similar to military covers and fits against the factory headache rack and secures to each tie down hook on the outside of the bed rails and tailgate. Even says HILUX on it! While it does a good job of keeping the bed dry during rain, it can't keep all the dust out. Actually if your are interested, I may be willing to part with it (also those factory aluminum sidesteps if you know someone interested...got sliders now). Here's the best pic I have right now.

Hey, I'd be interested in a set of factory Recaros too depending on price!....trying to find some factory sport seats locally though, and then modify to fit RHD. Basic seats are pretty flat...but hey at least they aren't vinyl!

Last edited by pretaco; 08-20-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team

3. a 4Runner front fender/hood/bumper would fit, only the grille would be a problem.
I have a 4runner grille on my '91 truck and it fits fine...
Old 08-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey all you hilux diesel guys... do those 2.8 diesels smoke any? it would be awesome to have a yota with a diesel motor that rolled the smoke

Quick Reply: newbie-89 hilux