Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New tps issue and adjustment 22re 86 Sr5

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 01:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably fine, my TB gasket is old but I've removed it several times to adjust TPS- no vacuum leaks... that I am aware of! Car runs great
Old 09-19-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
X2, I never had a problem needing to replace the gasket. You can do it.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The gasket is only a couple dollars... It's a matter of opinion I guess. My peace of mind is worth the cost and bit of work removing the old one.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Not that a few dollars mater more of a should I make sure to pick one up before I take it off
Old 09-19-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So about that Air Flow Meter tampering..? The Air Flow Meter provides the engine computer with a large Amount of air/fuel ratio control.

An Air Flow Meter faulty/out of spec can cause poor performance and fuel trim control.(Rich condition)

Ignition system components worn..?

Ignition timing incorrect..?

Worn spark plugs..?

Leaking fuel injectors..?

Dirty air filter element..?

Verify maintenance services performed..?

Intake air leaks...?

EGR system fault..?

Exhaust system Restrictions..?

Internal engine wear..?

Valve train/valve clearance..?

Sorry for rant haha!

Last edited by Kiroshu; 09-19-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:50 PM

No worries these are all things I want to look at and needed to know about so i can check them. These trucks aren't hard to work on. More of what to work on and my very little time I have to work on it
Old 09-19-2014, 03:53 PM

When I first got this truck there was no air filter in the box now that I realize its been opened I'm wondering if they didn't put a filter in there for some odd reason I can't see why that would effect the sensor by putting one in there. Ive drivin over 1000 miles now with one in there.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:38 PM

Ok I have a new therory about what is going on I messed with the afm made it run better and not die on me so soon but usually before it happens the CEL comes on the code is 4 for the sensor on top of coolant intake above the thermostat. Is there a reason this could be effecting me I spliced a new cable and cap for the sensor but still throwing a code when hot after I cleared the ecu
Old 10-09-2014, 11:37 AM

Last night I attempted to adjust the tps according to the 4crawler page. I did it all right and I still had a surging idle so I assumed it was still set wrong I've cleaned the throttle body as well. I rotated my tps back to where I wouldn't get a surging idle any more. I think I either need a better feeler gauge because I was off on a couple of them the .85 on the chart the closest I had was .88 . I checked my afm as well it all read fine In the specs accept for the one that reads temp in the air was under
Old 12-01-2014, 07:58 AM

Well driving it for about a month I realized the tps is still set wrong so I took the throttle body off and tryed to set it again. This time I realized that the dashpot is just beat the lever or plunger what ever u wana call it has barely any resistance in it the spring is shot so when I put a feeler gauge between the dashpot and the stop screw just the dashpot moves not the throttle. So the stop screw isn't even really hitting the dashpot there for not doing it's job. I guess it's off to the junk yard to try and find a working one
Old 12-01-2014, 08:50 AM

You will wanna defeat the dashpot during TPS adjustment and place your feeler gauge at the throttle stop screw. It hits the body of the TB I believe.

Yeah that TPS. It's a total b to get right sometimes.

Dashpot doesn't serve much of a purpose, I doubt you need to replace it. If anything, I would say spend your money on a later model intake conversion for the updated idle control
Old 12-01-2014, 09:53 AM

I was totally looking at your thread on the swap I really wana do this eventually. So it hits the throttle body? I stop screw on the throttle right pretty sure the 4 crawler site said to put between the stop screw and the dashpot I will check again thank you!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:38 AM

Ok saw where I was wrong thank you again. I have a question about using the ohm meter I have it set at 20k ? And the first test says 0.00 closed 200 -800 ohm. Would my meter read 0.30 meaning 300 ohm? And then the next measurement says <2.3k would that mean less then 2.30 on the meter ? Just trying to understand this a little better
Old 12-01-2014, 10:45 AM

Yeah that sounds about right! And yeah it can be a little hard to get the feeler gauge in there flat and to stay. The stop screw is kinda hidden in there as you can see. Tricky tricky. Best of luck getting that TPS sorted
Old 12-03-2014, 09:21 PM

Argh so I got the tps set right found the right measurement. Took the throttle body off I was cleaning the dashpot and I can't find the spring now :doh: I also checked the green temp sensor and the aav (auxiliary air valve) both were fine the temp sensor is really loose and wiggly but tested fine. I lost the ring for that sensor as well! This is what happens when you work in the dark I have a new sensor coming anyways. So put it all back together besides that copper washer and the dashpot isn't connected right now and I have the worst squeal ever in changes with the throttle and stays consistant I don't know what I would of done hat would make it do that
Old 12-04-2014, 07:14 AM

I'm not driving it because that sound is to terrible I have to rip the throttle body off again and double check that I'm not missing something. Wish I had a garage with lights to work in
Old 12-05-2014, 06:50 AM

K so I turned it on today when I got home the noise wasn't there but I let it run for a bit and it got warm the noise came back I think it must be something with the aav. I'm replacing a coolant hose that comes from the block to the aav I think that's the thing making the noise but it doesn't change when I mess with the hoses so I'm not sure exactly what it could be
Old 12-05-2014, 07:51 AM

Check your pulley section. The idler pulley tends to make a terrible squeal / rod knock sound when the bearings go bad. My roommate who just got an 87 has that and it sounds like death.

I doubt that AAV is making a noise. Just coolant and air running through there and it's pretty well insulated. Check the idler pulley- the one above the crank pulley near the front of the head. Or record us a sound

It could also be a belt that got coated with something or is going bad
Old 12-05-2014, 07:59 AM

Its not a pulley I didn't touch any of that it's super high pitch and coming from around the TB
Old 12-05-2014, 08:05 AM

Hmm... TB gasket okay & clean? All vac lines hooked up properly? I still don't see why that would make such a terrible noise, vac leaks tend to be more silent. EDIT: unless it's a big leak or something's not hooked up

Do you have AC? The compressor sits right under there. Maybe you got some coolant on it where it doesn't like?

Last edited by jennygirl; 12-05-2014 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: New tps issue and adjustment 22re 86 Sr5