86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Member 94 2wd Xtracab Dlx 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member 94 2wd Xtracab Dlx 5spd

Truck is a sweetheart. NO RUST, well maintained, etc., rear springs toast, new t chain and guides, box liner. A Daily Driver.

I am planning immediatly: new springs probably Downey 2" with std shackles and poly bushings, shifter seat, tuneup, fluids, and complete inspection.

I will be pulling as much of the emmision equipment as possible, also pulling working air (hate conditioned air, that's what windows are for, of yea I live in Canada). Anyone need parts?

Any advice on pulling smog equip appreciated. I don't care about engine light just don't want to confuse the ECM, no smog checks here. I believe a well tuned engine breathing fresh air is as enviro friendly as any.

Also want to throw away wheel covers, like painted steel rims but can't seem to find a moony cap or centre disc to complete look. Any suggestions?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What engine is it? 3.slow?

Really not much smog junk on it other than EGR.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 AM

Its a 2.4L 22RE

This little engine surprised me. No oil burning, valve noise, smooth operation. Codes say I have 342 rear gears and the performance is adequate. I'm a conservative driver, paid for lots of extra rubber 25 years ago. 70 on highway, quick but smooth merging, no jack rabbit stuff.

Engine definatly wants to breath better, will inspect cat flow, clean TB eventually will open up exhaust when this one wears out, about 50% now.

Another quick question, it would benefit from 37 or 8 range rear ratio, is this ratio possible? Seems 4:11 only availlable option. It is a 7.5" diff. Running stock 205R75-14 tires so 411's would put me into the top of the torque curve.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 22 is a very popular motor around here because it doesn't suffer from some of the design problems the 3.slow has. From what I understand it breaths pretty well in stock form (unlike the 3.turd which is strangled.)

You can find good used chunks in a variety of places like craigslist, feebay...
I got a whole front end 4:88 w/ a truetrac for $100 off craigslist a few years ago. I put seals in it and it works perfectly.
Though if you are going to mess with it, you might want to look for a 8" V6 complete rear end. It's quite a bit stronger.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Free flow cats, any advice, great forum thanks

Continued driving truck and searching of this and toyotanation forums have changed my plans.

2" Downey rear springs, in depth tuneup, and a new free flow cat. Enviro more important than a few bucks. Hear good things about free flow cats?

This truck is fine. The power is ok and I will try a bunch of cheap tricks I've bookmarked as I find the parts.

Like the battery/airbox switch, supra afm, methodically work out all the tuneup tips found in forums, and master the tuneup codes and reading them. Thanks for a great forum and such detailed info. Will leave emmisions stock for now (probably forever).
Old 05-07-2008, 03:42 PM

Does anyone know of the A/C parts from a 2.4 will work on the 3.0? My 95 doesn't have air and I would love to add it. Does anyone know what all would be involved? I'm interested in your parts if I could make it work.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 PM

AC stuff

I live in Calgary, Western Canada, where are you?