Sponsored by: DashLynx

need help to release the freon from the A/C system

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
dude calm down on him. jesus. dont jump up his arse cuz he asks a question.
actually, if you break down the chemical of both r12 and r134, they are basically the same thing, but 134 uses different oil, which is what screws up a r12 system. also, the patent on r12 ran out, so they brought out 134. when that patent starts to run out, they will come out with a R256 and say 134 is bad for the atmosphere.
also, r12 works slightly better than 134, it gets colder faster.
but for a POLITE answer, i wouldnt discharge it urself unless u know FOR SURE that its 134. or, as stated, its a hefty fine if ur caught.
Proof? The evidence contrary to your statement has been driven into us for years, and we (the wrecking yards) are very regulated by the EPA for this reason. If it is indeed not harmful to the environment, I want A. proof of that, and B. a reason why its been said it is harmful for so many years.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no way in heck it's R12. All manufacturers stopped putting it in cars in '95, and Toyota did even earlier than that.

My '90 4Runner uses R134a.

Vent the crap, and yes, it's pretty much non-toxic. I wouldn't take big huge whiffs though.

Just so you know, "they're" thinking about banning this stuff too, because some computer models think it might maybe contribute sort of kinda to acid rain.

PANIC.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:04 AM

Tree huggers make me laugh. Take the advice of the other poster & go pay to have it evacuated. Less $ in your pocket but you will make a few people happy I guess.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:15 AM

this thread makes me laugh, its almost like the popular thread can i cut out my cat and what will it do? WE ONLY HAVE ONE EARTH PEOPLE LETS KEEP IT FOR AS LONG AS WE CAN!!!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by turborich
Tree huggers make me laugh. Take the advice of the other poster & go pay to have it evacuated. Less $ in your pocket but you will make a few people happy I guess.

So caring about the environment and not destroying our air makes us tree huggers? Are you the same type of person who throws beer cans out your truck and figures it will decompose eventually?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
So caring about the environment and not destroying our air makes us tree huggers? Are you the same type of person who throws beer cans out your truck and figures it will decompose eventually?
No, I don't litter nor do I drink beer.

Look, a/c hoses & lines rupture all of the time & the stuff releases into the air. The wrecking yards here in Vegas don't evactuate the freon. I know this for a FACT! Pull a line off & see what happens.

Perhaps if venting a little refrigerant is this bad then maybe you shouldn't drive your truck off road as you may disturb the ground or leak a few drops of oil.

The whole global warming thing is a hoax anyways & 50% of scientist agree. The earth simply goes through cycles.

Yes, I take my used oil to the parts store so they can recycle it, I don't litter & my emissions equiptment is all in tact & properly functioning but come on, were talking about having to pay a shop to evactuate some r-12. Why dont you rant about all of the people who take there emissions parts off or who runs larger tires, after all they are using more fuel to turn them & when they are no longer servicable they will take up more room in a landfill, right???

geez
Old 04-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Staff

Naw, you're right, what a little freon here, and a little freon there.

No harm could ever possibly come from that, right? And that hole in the Ozone layer, that must be a hoax too right? As long as we only do a LITTLE damage, thats ok.

Like i said, I know its a big nono and highly illegal to vent R12. R134 it is not illegal, but still not suggested. If we ever did that here at Nix99 and got caught, its a $50,000 fine.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
R12 is illegal to vent because it is a Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) meaning that it contains chlorine, fluorine, and carbon, and somebody somewhere said that chlorine is damaging to the Ozone layer.

R134A is a Hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) which means that it is made of hydrogen, fluorine, and carbon. The only bad thing about releasing HFC into the air is the carbon, which when released, may become that nasty gas Carbon dioxide that is said to be poisoning the earth.

If CO2 is so bad, then why aren't they taxing our every breath? Why not plant more plants that use CO2? The govt is just using it as a target. Put a target in front of the majority of people and most of them will keep an eye on it and possibly miss something else that is going on.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Proof? The evidence contrary to your statement has been driven into us for years, and we (the wrecking yards) are very regulated by the EPA for this reason. If it is indeed not harmful to the environment, I want A. proof of that, and B. a reason why its been said it is harmful for so many years.
actually i cant answer that, im just going from some high school science classes who all said R12 and R134 r the same thing, diff oil. (yes we studied it in hs science). while i dont believe its harmful, im not about to dump it into the atmosphere, and i dont condone doing it.
and i know the old R12 system on our old trooper worked WAAAAY better than the a/c in a lot of the brand new vehicles ive driven.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r12 is a much better performer then r134, r134 has a lot of problems, but is supposedly better for the environment. But from me not being a scientist, i can't say whether it is bad or not for the atmosphere. Did you know that r12 is not illegal to own or use...but is illegal for non licensed people to buy it and service it.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by nv4runner
R12 is illegal to vent because it is a Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) meaning that it contains chlorine, fluorine, and carbon, and somebody somewhere said that chlorine is damaging to the Ozone layer.

R134A is a Hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) which means that it is made of hydrogen, fluorine, and carbon. The only bad thing about releasing HFC into the air is the carbon, which when released, may become that nasty gas Carbon dioxide that is said to be poisoning the earth.

If CO2 is so bad, then why aren't they taxing our every breath? Why not plant more plants that use CO2? The govt is just using it as a target. Put a target in front of the majority of people and most of them will keep an eye on it and possibly miss something else that is going on.
It's not that simple
Old 04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Staff

There is the proof I was looking for, i just hadn't gotten the chance to find or post it.

I think that pretty well proves R12 is indeed very bad for the environment and its not just a "government hoax"
Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM

Ok so it's bad for the enviroment? So is a lot of other things. That being said, if I need to replace a part on my A/C it's still going to get vented. I'm not paying a shop to do it & I'm not paying $3k for a machine. I have plenty of R-12 to put back in!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM

most shops will come and get it for freeeeeee
Old 04-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Everytime you start/drive your vehicle it's bad for the earth and air. I'm not saying we should all vent our R12 into the air, but it's kinda hard to sit back and bitch at someone for doing it when you're doing just as much (if not 10000x more) damage to the earth just driving your vehicle on a daily basis. Not to mention if you have an oil or coolant leak or your motor isn't properly tuned and is in desperate need of service.

Just about everything we do on a daily basis is bad for the earth somehow. It's probably not a good idea to add onto that damage if you can avoid it.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by PlugItIn
most shops will come and get it for freeeeeee
This is correct, because R12 is worth $$$$$$
Old 04-23-2009, 01:12 PM

as pointed out, there r worse things.
also, sure shops will come out and get it, like my shop, but we charge 50 bucks to drive out, an hour of labor (105 bucks) and the 'cost' of the 'r12 recycling fee'. we just turn around and sell it. dishonest, if you ask me.
looks like my old science teachers were proved wrong.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by turborich
just vent it out of one of the fittings. It's really no big deal & nobody will ever know. Tree huggers make me laugh.

Pretty funny coming from someone in NV. LOL lets see where you are living in another 10 years due to the climate change currently effecting people like yourself. I'm not a tree hugger but I am educated and have actually taken time to read research on the issue. You clearly have not. Good luck with your state and its future.

Last edited by Evil.Dingo; 08-05-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 AM

ps....sorry for the resurection of an oldpost, but this is what happens when I do a search for info to try to save a annoying post and then find somehting so ignorant that I can't help but post anyway. Sorry