86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mysterious leak...ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious leak...ideas?

I was changing out my tie rod ends and sleeves this past weekend when I noticed a heavy spattering of a sludgy, greasy oil all over the inside of my IFS lower control arms.

I assumed from the peculiar spatter pattern that I must have driven through a nasty puddle of something. I used a towel to wipe it up. Nothing seems out of the ordinary under there. Just checked again today and the spatter has reappeared in the same locations.

I have a torn CV boot on my D-side CV shaft that is letting some grease ooze out now that my ball joint spacers are in. This grease is much stickier than the stuff accumulating on my LCAs. Im 99% sure its not the culprit.

The 70% of the buildup is on the P-side LCA, which has two intact CV boots on that side- no grease can get over there that im tracking on.

The CV shaft is devoid of the spatter, the shock absorber has one or two flecks on it, the wheel well and VIN on the frame behind the P-side front wheel are covered in flecks too.

===============================

So, the hunt begins anew. I had an oil leak from my EGR valve mount a few months ago. I cleaned as much as I could reach, but you know how it is- that oil is still on a lot of stuff.

I have found a few drops of oil on the bolt studs hanging down from my oil pan. I think the gasket is starting to go. I compared that oil drip on my finger to some i swiped off of the LCA. The oil coming from the oil pan slow leak is a fresh amber while the LCA is a stickier gray-black sludgy mess.

Im going to continue wiping away. Im replacing my CV axles with two brand new ones I got for an excellent price on ebay- however id like to solve this as soon as possible.

does anyone have any good ideas to throw my way?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 AM

P/S pump or hose ?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:22 AM

Nope. Fluid was at max.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:37 AM

I have a leak in the power steering box. It makes a mess but doesn't drain a lot from the reservoir. I am looking for a used steering box as I was told the seal kits usually fail. Check where the steeering shaft enters the box,
Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have any axle or wheel bearing work done recently? Someone forgot the inner axle seal? You thoroughly inspected your CV boots on passenger side? Typically driver and passenger fail at/around the same time. If not power steering -- have someone turn to full lock while you inspect for spray, -- brake fluid is the only other thing that could do it and doesn't sound like the fluid you're seeing...
Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Ill be messing around with all of your advice shortly...

Man, I hate these days...