Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My BJ spacer/Downey leafs Lift thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My BJ spacer/Downey leafs Lift thread....DONE!!

Ok so i'm home sick and extremely bored lol...don't feel that bad so i'm gonna go and put on my BJspacers that came in the mail a couple of days ago...

Just ordered 3.5" leafs from superlift

So this is what my lift is going to consist of...
*BJ spacers from Toyota of Dallas
*Downey 3" leafsprings
*Edlebrock Shocks
*Diff drop?
*Manual Hubs

Pics up soon!

Please tell me if i'm missing anything...i'm pretty sure i'm not but just in case lol

-Ben

Last edited by BigBen; 03-01-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Well maybe I'm missin' something, why diff drop? I haven't a clue why anybody might want to do that. The trade offs I mean. But, I'm Mr. Ground-Clearence, 35's.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 AM

the diff drop is so that the cv angles are not so severe because of the added bj spacers
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Well maybe I'm missin' something, why diff drop? I haven't a clue why anybody might want to do that. The trade offs I mean. But, I'm Mr. Ground-Clearence, 35's.
Take some stress off the cv's i guess and i think its only like half an inch or something
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 AM

thanks faubrunner
Old 02-07-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Oh, trust me I get that, bad day caused by just such phenomena, that's what I meant by trade offs ,sorry.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-07-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

for the BJ spacers....make sure you have a cutoff wheel or at least an angle grinder for the back lip. I suggest a cutoff wheel with an air grinder. Angle grinder was painful/burning.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike
for the BJ spacers....make sure you have a cutoff wheel or at least an angle grinder for the back lip. I suggest a cutoff wheel with an air grinder. Angle grinder was painful/burning.
haha yeeaahhhh i have a angle grinder...lol
Old 02-07-2007, 10:26 PM

I waiting patiently for pics! Befores, Afters and durings!!! Hurry some of us can't sleep! HAHA hope it goes good for you.
-=Morphine=-
Old 02-07-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now, that's what I call an effective budget lift. Low cost, and good performance. I tried to convince one of my 1st gen buddies to do that minus the diff drop.

If you are looking for more cheap flex, add lo profile COMPRESSION bump stops. Not the droop stops, in fact you have to shim it up.

You should be able to run 33x10.50's with that setup.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:49 AM

Make sure you reuse the OEM bottom load spring on the new spring pack (I didnt) or the Downey springs will settle right back to stock height. I had to put on extended shackles to maintain the lift after my springs had settled.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by mtrdrms
Make sure you reuse the OEM bottom load spring on the new spring pack (I didnt) or the Downey springs will settle right back to stock height. I had to put on extended shackles to maintain the lift after my springs had settled.
Sorrry for my not knowing but how would you do that?

Oh and i'll put up some pics today after i get out of school
Old 02-08-2007, 06:54 AM

When you get the stock springs out you will notice that the bottom-most spring is flat and fat. You will need to remove it by removing the bolt that holds the stock pack together. Once you remove it you will need to then dismantle the Downey pack and insert the big spring into that pack before you put it in the truck. It may seem a little high at first but trust me, it will settle quite a bit.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i run the bj spacers with low pro's , i have'nt had any problems with the CV's (still have stock droops)
Old 02-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by norcalsvx
i run the bj spacers with low pro's , i have'nt had any problems with the CV's (still have stock droops)
The stock droops are supposed to be fine, but they should still be checked. My driver side needed to be shimmed, otherwise the cv would rip the boot at full droop. My pass side was fine without being shimmed. Still not sure exactly what was wrong on the driverside, maybe the stop was giving more than it should, who knows. Just make sure all you people doing BJ spacers, check to see if you need to shim you droop stops.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:33 AM

When you get the stock springs out you will notice that the bottom-most spring is flat and fat. You will need to remove it by removing the bolt that holds the stock pack together. Once you remove it you will need to then dismantle the Downey pack and insert the big spring into that pack before you put it in the truck. It may seem a little high at first but trust me, it will settle quite a bit.
I had the downey 3" pack, I did not add the extra leaf on my 4runner. It settled to about 2" of lift after fast running as well as flexing. I think that is enough to even out the truck to the 1.5-2" you get out of BJ spacer. I'd just keep the extra spring on hand, and if it looks to low, then add it back in. Otherise, I think you'll be to tall in back.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
not to hijack it or anything but...
i just did the bj spacer/ cruiser coil lift a week or so ago but forgot to see if i'd need to shim the droop stops. how do i do that and how can i tell if i need to.

also where can i find low profile compression bump stops...i already tried looking but couldnt find them.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by traben27
not to hijack it or anything but...
i just did the bj spacer/ cruiser coil lift a week or so ago but forgot to see if i'd need to shim the droop stops. how do i do that and how can i tell if i need to.

also where can i find low profile compression bump stops...i already tried looking but couldnt find them.
Traben27....pm sent
Old 02-08-2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
I had the downey 3" pack, I did not add the extra leaf on my 4runner. It settled to about 2" of lift after fast running as well as flexing. I think that is enough to even out the truck to the 1.5-2" you get out of BJ spacer. I'd just keep the extra spring on hand, and if it looks to low, then add it back in. Otherise, I think you'll be to tall in back.
Your right but the problem is that the 4runners are too low to begin with so the springs have to level the runner (+1") and raise it (+2") and if the spring settles then we are still too low.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:25 AM

Your right but the problem is that the 4runners are too low to begin with so the springs have to level the runner (+1") and raise it (+2") and if the spring settles then we are still too low.
I like mine low.

Quick Reply: My BJ spacer/Downey leafs Lift thread