86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is my 4runner using that much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my 4runner using that much oil?

Ok, here is the deal. I I have an 88 4runner, automatic, 4wd and am very concerned about how much oil this thing is using. I have only drove around 450 miles since I changed the oil last and the level is a little less than midway between the F and L mark.

I have no white smoke, no coolant in the oil, and no oil in the coolant. Exhaust smells like normal exhaust I guess.

What do you all think it could be? Is this normal for this old of a vehicle? I am using Valvoline 10w-30 and definitely made sure I had the proper amount when I changed it this time.

I guess adding a quart or two per oil change is a lot cheaper than having to buy a new motor so if I have to do it I will. I have my 88 4runner in the garage right now (on flat surface) and my 05 Tacoma parked out side (slight incline). I will be able to check it good in the morning and add the appropriate amount if needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-18-2006, 05:36 PM

Look for the source.

I would suspect the cam plug on the front or something on the right side. Started out about 1/2 qt ever oil change, got worse to about a quart. Eventually the mileage went up about 5 mpg from 17 to 21-22 mpg. That dropped back to about 17-18 a week or so ago. About the same time I got a really nasty bearing noise. Today I dug into it, not any of the driven components, checked the oil, a little low, but not bad. Started it and checked blow-by. Had some serious blow-by. Enough I slapped the oil cap right back on.

The wife bought my 88 4RUnner 2 years ago with a supposed rebuild with 10K miles on it. I have since put 20K miles on it in 2 years. It went belly up today.

I am now in the process of getting a new truck as the wife will not let me put a new engine into this truck. Looking at a 1997 4Runner.

Last edited by farmerj; 08-18-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:45 PM

doesn't sound to awful bad to me,my 94 Z71 goes thru a qrt every 1500 miles-you can count on it,86 Silverado before that same thing-standard chevy equipment i guess,although the 97 runner the wife drive doesn't use any.if you can believe it most manufacturers say as much as a qrt every 1000 miles is considered normal.if its not smoking when driving or leaking a lot keep the oil checked in it & drive it like ya stole it
Old 08-18-2006, 06:07 PM

yeah, this thing has NO leaks whatsoever so it really baffles me as to what the deal is. the engine was rebuilt before i bought it and it runs pretty good for an automatic 22re. i am a teacher so I check my oil during my planning period just to make sure it is good. i check it about 1 every 3 days and am very anal about this sort of thing. i can't afford to buy a new engine!!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:09 PM

if ya really gotta do something,change pcv valve just for good measure-cheap & easy to do
Old 08-18-2006, 06:23 PM

already did, new pcv valve, rubber grommet and hose.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:24 AM

How's your oil pressure when driving? Not that I have any advice I'm just having the same symptoms, no leaks, no smoke, some bearing noise, drinking lots of oil, and low oil pressure.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:34 AM

while driving it is a little less than half way and when i stop it goes down to about a 1/4 of the way up.

I just pulled the plugs and the first one and the back one (#1 and #4) had some pretty bad carbon build up on it. what could it be?

valve seats, piston rings??????
Old 08-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you checking it cold? or hot?

That oil pressure is well w/in the normal range on the gauge.

If you aren't leaking anywhere, then it sounds like you are burning oil. You can be leaking and never see a drip on the pavement, so take off the skidplate and look all the way back...might be blowing off and only dripping when running and moving.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:23 AM

I am checking it cold and checking it after sitting for two hours. i checked it yesterday after sitting for two hours and it was a little less than midway between the F and L mark. I checked it today after sitting all night in my garage and it was a little I mean little bit above the L mark. What gives? I added about 3/4 quart today because I don't want it to go too low. I wanted to be safe.

There are no visible oil leaks whatsoever. I have had the skid plate off several times with nothing on there and also have been under there several times with it on the rack looking as well and nothing. also had my certified toyota mechanic tell me it wasn't leaking. i don't know what the deal is.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:44 AM

bump for anymore advice??

could it be the valve seats? piston rings? i need some help!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil level should be checked when HOT. When hot it will read higher on the dipstick due to expansion. When cold it should be aproximately 1/8" below the "full" line.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by whitetaco02
I am checking it cold...
That is the problem...check the oil the next time after you park it and shut it off, after it has been running a while and the engine is hot...then see if it is low...I bet not.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:11 PM

I have never heard of having to do that. i always thought you got a better reading if you check it when it is cold. that could probably be the reason it was midway one day when the engine was still hot and on the L mark when it sat all night.

do you all think the vavle seats could be bad and it is letting the oil seep through? piston rings? i was thinking of having my mechanic take care of this and while he was at it get new cams and rockers as well. bad idea?
Old 08-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

You could get him to check it out...compression test, blow by etc.

Make sure it is someone who knows 22REs and their tendencies...not just any old mechanic IMO.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:59 PM

could your missing oil be in the filter? since there is no way to fill the filter during the change, it gets filled after the first startup. on my 4runner, that amount of oil drops the dipstick level from H to about a quarter down between the H and L lines.

i dont have this problem in the tacoma since the filter goes on vertically - i fill the filter before i spin it on. much better design for removal as well, no mess.

btw, i check my levels about 5 or 10 minutes after i shut the engine off, never immediately after. gives the oil in the block a chance to drain down into the pan. the level is not critical anyhow as long as you are reading between H and L, so checking hot or cold should not make that big of a difference. at least, i've never noticed a difference during the times when i have checked first thing in the morning. good luck with the case of the missing oil
Old 08-20-2006, 04:08 PM

I go through a half a quart every 3 days..but it still runs like a champ......even though it smokes black like a diesel!!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You could get him to check it out...compression test, blow by etc.

Make sure it is someone who knows 22REs and their tendencies...not just any old mechanic IMO.

this is a certified toyota mechanic who has been around for a very long time. he knows his stuff about 22re's and trust him to the max. he has been a friend for 16 years. if i was having compression troubles, wouldn't my rpm's be bouncing back and forth or possibly having a rough idle?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by bktaco
could your missing oil be in the filter? since there is no way to fill the filter during the change, it gets filled after the first startup. on my 4runner, that amount of oil drops the dipstick level from H to about a quarter down between the H and L lines.

i dont have this problem in the tacoma since the filter goes on vertically - i fill the filter before i spin it on. much better design for removal as well, no mess.

btw, i check my levels about 5 or 10 minutes after i shut the engine off, never immediately after. gives the oil in the block a chance to drain down into the pan. the level is not critical anyhow as long as you are reading between H and L, so checking hot or cold should not make that big of a difference. at least, i've never noticed a difference during the times when i have checked first thing in the morning. good luck with the case of the missing oil
thanks man for that, i will check that next time I check the oil. i will also check my oil during my planning period. it will give the 4runner about 1 hour to settle, plenty of time to drain back down but it will still be hot too.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
I go through a half a quart every 3 days..but it still runs like a champ......even though it smokes black like a diesel!!

what is its deal though? it doesn't bother you? that is a lot of oil but it is cheaper than a new motor i guess. lol

Quick Reply: Is my 4runner using that much oil?