86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

motor is toast. happy new year!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
going to go ahead with a double row t-chain this time, never worry about that again.
What's involved in changing over to double row from single? Can it be done with the engine in the truck? I have a 2wd pickup, so no front diff to get in the way.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:55 PM

good job.. .its always good to clear out old junk and make some profit on it..
Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cjolson140
What's involved in changing over to double row from single? Can it be done with the engine in the truck? I have a 2wd pickup, so no front diff to get in the way.
LCE's conversion kit:
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...C-36DAAF7F3DBC

4Crawler's How-To:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 AM

engine replacement: 3rz in my future?

here's the UPDATE:

machine shop says if they square the head and the donor block it will be too close for comfort. so i'm now shopping for a donor vehicle with a complete engine.

i've read all weekend and right now i'm pursuing a 3rz swap. If i can get a healthy donor cheap enough, i'll go that way. after reviewing what i'd want to do to a 22re to get some decent power, it appears more practical to just upgrade the whole thing.

i see ORS is now NLA so if anyone has suggestions or links to 22RE --> 3RZ swaps, i welcome all input.

i'm about a hair away from throwing in the towel on this. i have to price it out to get some advance ball park figure, and if it turns out this project is simply out of my reach, i may have to sell the truck as is. ugh.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 22re is going to be the cheapest and easiet way to fix your truck. There is not a whole lot to the motors. can you not hone the old block throw in new rings and drive it for the next 6-12 months while you sort out what you want to do??
Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 1styota4X4
The 22re is going to be the cheapest and easiet way to fix your truck. There is not a whole lot to the motors. can you not hone the old block throw in new rings and drive it for the next 6-12 months while you sort out what you want to do??
i've been told that the rings have done damage in the walls, and is essentially not worth keeping.

i've also been told that the head i had rebuilt 2 yrs ago cannot take another shave and be in spec.

right now i'm thinking about a long block from Oregon Eng. as advertised on fleabay, or a local salvage swap of a 2.7 3rz.

my problem now is a mental one. i'm having doubts i can afford this truck. i am starting to think it will never fit into my budget.

what's a nice truck worth with no motor? argh.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM

I know you dont want to hear this, but choice #2 looks to be the one to go with. Selling your m/c could get you what you NEED to get your truck back out on the road. You can always buy another m/c, but then again you can alway buy another yota.

Either way, stick with it! dont get down on yourself, get organized, layout the pros vs the cons of keeping the truck vs keeping the m/c. Take an hour, write it down, think about it and make a decision.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM

Can't they just put a shim between the head and the block?
http://www.lceperformance.com/20R-22...-p/1024066.htm

Last edited by yotaman90; 01-26-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by yotaman90
Can't they just put a shim between the head and the block?
http://www.lceperformance.com/20R-22...-p/1024066.htm
Yes, I wonder about this same question. That would save you some serious dough.

On the topic of saving money, why not just a basic/solid rebuild of the 22re? Don't go ape**** for power mods and you should be able to do it fairly inexpensively. Also why the focus on a dual row timing chain? The vast majority of T chain failure is with the guides, not the chain. That would be another chunk of change you don't have to spend. I'm happy with my 22re as is. It gets my truck around quite well on 35's and a big hillbilly lift. My only mods to the engine were a mild cam and an exhaust system (and the exhaust could be done later).

If you really need (want) 150 hp, then you are probably correct to go to the 3rz. But if you just want to get your nice truck rolling again, return the engine to stock or near stock specs and enjoy another 100k miles of offroading.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
i've been told that the rings have done damage in the walls, and is essentially not worth keeping.

i've also been told that the head i had rebuilt 2 yrs ago cannot take another shave and be in spec.

right now i'm thinking about a long block from Oregon Eng. as advertised on fleabay, or a local salvage swap of a 2.7 3rz.

my problem now is a mental one. i'm having doubts i can afford this truck. i am starting to think it will never fit into my budget.

what's a nice truck worth with no motor? argh.
I really real for you man. Me and many other cash-limited Y/T members could easily be in your shoes now or in the near future and have to face the decisions you're facing. Hopefully you'll be able to sort this out and keep the truck; maybe that shim is all you really need, it'd be such a rotten shame to have to sell your beloved yota.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:34 PM

save your money.. fixing your ride is still cheaper than buying a new ride.. and you will feel better about yourself in the long run
Old 01-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
save your money.. fixing your ride is still cheaper than buying a new ride.. and you will feel better about yourself in the long run
you already know what is done to your truck...you may get another ride that has the same or worse problems. I was a little lucky and found a used motor rebuilt with cam injectors and lots of other parts for 800 bux they are out there. It was a craigslist motor and its in my other truck. I have a spare motor that needs a rebuild and can source quite a few out here. If you are having that many problems out there let me know and ill see what i can find for you here.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:45 PM

I was thinking the same thing, just didn't say it being the new guy.

Originally Posted by tim a.
If you need to go low buck pull out the offending piston and replace the rings.If Im not mistaken the piston will come out of the bottom with the crank in place{correct me if Im wrong}.Throw in a new ring pack and roll.Just my .02,feel free to disreguard.Good luck and get that 22re up and runnin.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:53 PM

you guys are right

see? that's why i come here, for smart advice about yotas.

man i was down the other day. i started pricing various things and started spiralin' outta control. sleepin' on it helped, and seeing a bunch of replies up there all saying the same thing have me not so sketched out about following through.

plus, a couple of you hit the nail on the head that was getting at me. i started adding up crazy things i'd want to do in the future, and didn't want to have to do twice if i could do it right the first time.

but no, i don't need a damn double row chain, nor do i need a lot of things I was considering adding. not right now; not to get back on the road.

when i started adding up what i really wanted to do, it looked like i'd be spending $3k on a 22re. and that's not hard to do. and many have done it, either over time or they just wanted a hopped up 22re.

but when my imaginary cash register bell rang up to $3k i immediately thought may as well do a 3rz swap, which would be less than $3k and provide way more power increase than ANY 22re mods.

suddenly i'm thinking about needing to spend over $3k when the week before this engine blew i was wondering how long before i could afford 4.88s or an aussie in these 4.10s.

THANX GUYS. i'm back on track now. unless i can find some super awesome deal on a 3rz, which right now i've seen on car-part around me for about $900 for a long block to $2k quoted for the brain, harness etc. from an '03.

but my smart money should probably be spent on buying on of oregon engine's stock or super stock 22re's. for $1100 plus shipping i could have a decent power increase without any b.s. to match up a foreign powerplant.

i tried to explain my dilemma to a female friend today, so i could get her opinion. but i had to put it in terms she could understand:

"imagine you have a kitchen with worn out 30 yr old linoleum. you hate it, and decide to put down laminate floors in the fall so they'll be done by thanksgiving holiday when you have a big family feast. so you plan on saving cash between now and august to do it, leaving enough time to ensure completion.

after you conjure this great plan, the subfloor one morning pops up and tears through the linoleum. now the floor is shot and needs repair immediately. now the money you wanted to spend on laminate has to go to repairing the subfloor and you'd have to borrow a couple bux just to put down basic linoleum again.

do you go in over your head now to do the subfloor and laminate now? or just go with linoleum and feel like you've spent a crapload of money and still don't have what you wanted to begin with?"

she understood completely. it's always easier to talk to women when you figure out how to use words from THEIR dictionary. NO THEY DON'T USE THE SAME ONE WE DO.

thanx everyone who chimed in here, and who've contributed to the engine swap threads i've been reading the past few days.

Tj
Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM

Is the motor still in the truck? If it is why don't you clean up the cylinder the best you can and live with the groove in the cylinder? Never tried or asked could you bore the one cylinder over replace that piston and set of rings and keep going. It may not be perfect but could get you by for awhile until you can afford a good rebuild.
To those of you that maybe thinking WTF is he thinking, I have made my living by thinking outside the box. I don't believe something can not be done because it is not the normal way things are done. Or someone says it can not be done that way and have no real reason why. I have accomplished a lot in my life developing processes that "Could not be done in Manufacturing"
Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by christopher_2
Is the motor still in the truck? If it is why don't you clean up the cylinder the best you can and live with the groove in the cylinder? Never tried or asked could you bore the one cylinder over replace that piston and set of rings and keep going. It may not be perfect but could get you by for awhile until you can afford a good rebuild.
To those of you that maybe thinking WTF is he thinking, I have made my living by thinking outside the box. I don't believe something can not be done because it is not the normal way things are done. Or someone says it can not be done that way and have no real reason why. I have accomplished a lot in my life developing processes that "Could not be done in Manufacturing"
no man, the block n head each went to the mach. Shop for inspection. The block's already .040 over. To be that far out there's a good possibility this engine has had two rebuids already. Adding to that suspicion is the mach shop said the head can't be shaved again w/o a shim being used. I had this head rebuilt two yrs ago when the HG failed, I should have ditched the block then cut hindsight is 20-20.

i'm either doing a 3rz or a new 22re long from oeri. I do not want to do motor work for a long time after this, so i'm going to try to do it right this time around
Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM

so get a shimm, it will work just fine..
Old 01-29-2010, 10:29 PM

And if the block has been bored too much, the shop can install cylinder sleeves that will essentially make the bore as it came from the factory
Old 02-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Well, I'm in a similar situation. My engine blew the other day. It still runs but doesn't have any power, smells like gas pretty bad, and has a knock on the bottom end. I'm guessing it's a rod but I haven't had it anywhere to have it checked out. My first thought was to find a used engine and throw it in there but I'm having trouble finding one around here!

Is there anything else that will bolt up in place of the 22re that might be easier to get my hands on?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:32 AM

my research says bolt up directly = NO. but there are swaps that are close. the 5mge appears to be the easiest, but that's an ancient motor now, so i'm not considering it.

the 2rz and 3rz appear to be the next easiest. other option is 22re but with modifications to get more power, such as different head, add supercharger, etc. i am shopping these options now.

i personally would prefer a 3rz to move to technology that's 10 yrs younger. a stock 3rz should perform as well as a hopped up 22re, and possibly for less expense. i am working on this today.

i need to choose which motor i'm going with this week. 22re new long block, or 3rz swapped from like a 98 or so.

good luck with your project.

Quick Reply: motor is toast. happy new year!