86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

motor is toast. happy new year!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
anyway, i'm surprise the majority consensus is to stick w/ the 22re. Shouldn't I take the opportunity to upsize to a taco motor maybe? I do like the diesel idea, thx for that link. There are a few jdm engine importers in this area so I could find something nice.
The shortest/cheapest path to get you back on the road is always just replacing the broken part(s).

Transplants take lots of time and money. Plan it all out the best you can possibly imagine and then double the numbers, that should get you halfway there. RMA's thread makes it look easy, but he's done a wonderful job procuring the hard-to-find bits to make it go smooth.

Last edited by Windsor; 01-01-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 PM

i seen complete rebuilt engines for 1400.00

i would do that just pick up a second job doing a news paper route.

make your wife do a in house daycare..

look at wheer you are spending all your money.. ie ciggerates, mcdonalds, soda, candy bars, movie's

if you want buy it you will live like no one else to save the money so you can drive like no one else.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 PM

if you have funds and a second car I would go with a 7mge swap.......

otherwise a 22re short block
Old 01-01-2010, 01:49 PM

if you dont have more then 2 trucks and 2 cars you're wrong..
Old 01-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ide check out craigslist/ jumkyards for a replacement for now, take your motor out and when the time comes and the $$ rebuild it yourself you can get some rebuild dvd's from ebay if you dont feel confortable doing it alone..
Old 01-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

I have to agree that the most economical way to keep the truck is to rebuild/replace the 22re. While it is tempting to swap to something else, you are also looking at $$$. If you had a 3.0 a lot more stuff would be re used on a 3.4 swap. The 2.7 I don't know enough about to speak to. I would still imagine there would be a fair amount of computer swapping and wiring issues to work through.

Cripes........
I was typing out a bunch of stuff only to re read your original post and see that much of it was pointless.

Specifically, are you confident of the tech that thought the motor was already 40 over? If you are, then essentially don't have a rebuildable core so you are looking at additional costs to get a rebuilt. However if you can find something on CL for say $250 or so you could just send that in as your core. I've seen core costs in the $300-$450 range so you could save a little dough there. Also with any luck you can find a motor with parts that you can scavenge off and sell (valve cover, head, efi, oil pan, water pump/t chain cover if you go short block) Maybe recoup a little money.

If you're lucky you can find a CL motor that you can still hear run from someone giving up on a project or going V8 etc. Then you could just swap in and forget it. Do you have a place you can work? I forgot about that.

If you part out you can probably do OK but it will be heart wrenching. You'll also likely take a fair hit on some of your new stuff you just installed.

Ride your bike around for a while and think about it. Cruise CL a bit. Decide where your heart really is. At least you have some wiggle room with the bike available to ride.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Dude I saw your pics on the canback thread. That thing is in way too nice of a condition to part out or get rid of it.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:27 AM

i'am sure there is some one on her that lives close enough to you to help you out..
Old 01-02-2010, 11:36 AM

I'm in the middle os a 7mge swap. There's another guy here in vancouver that did his swap for $1600 total which is hard to do. I fully rebuilt my 7mge and with all of the other parts (rad, bellhousing, clutch, harness, injector cleaning, exhaust work, running new fuel lines and on and on and on) I'm at $4000+. Just call all the local wreckers, look on craigslist and even put a "WTB 22re" ad on there and you'll find something for sure. Good luck
Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
well, just when i thought '09 had kicked my butt enough, it had to get one more shot square in the cojones before it rolled out for good.

last nite after going to a movie, i came out to have the truck idling horribly at about 400 rpm and stumbling. i figured i'd have it towed since i have free tow with AAA. (i recommend AAA plus membership to anyone. it pays for itself) anyway,
the shop did a compression test and found zero (make that 40lbs) on the #3. they said it was leaking to the crankshaft (make that crankcase), so they suspect a broken ring. i don't know enough about engine guts to agree or argue it.

i do know that when i had the top end redone for the HG repair a year ago, that the tech then said the bottom end had already been redone and was 40 over.

so i'm suspecting this motor is finally done.

suddenly all the other stuff i've been working to repair has dropped in priority.

now i'm not sure what to do. i welcome your opinions since i haven't really thought about it because i've been drinking alot to keep it from ruining my holiday.

here's what i think my options are:

1. cut my losses. part the truck out. it's a clean body with a great interior and lots of new parts from the past year.

2. sell my motorcycle and buy a nice motor to drop in now. the only way i could afford an engine swap now. i'm freakin' broke from all the repairs i've done in the last month. this idea sux but sometimes your choices are made for you.

3. sit on it for a while, try to score a decent engine cheap to drop in. ride the cycle rain or snow 'til it's done. this is a hard road to hike but can be done. catch is trying to find a motor swap plan that i won't regret. i'm not a winner when i gamble.

4. drive it on 3 cyl til it blows out the block. ha. i have no idea what the consequences would be. sounds stupid tho.

i already looked online for motors. there's lots of 22re options on fleabay. i don't trust chinese new blocks. i could pick up a JDM import motor and hope it's not a roach. there's importers here in Atlanta i could pick up locally. possibly a japanese market turbo diesel. can that be converted to bio diesel? that would be interesting. or stupid.

i could swap in something else than a 22re. GM 3.8, Lexus V8 or V6 (which requires premium, not what i want) find a better toy motor (newer taco?) or something else altogether.

i can't even think about it right now. i don't know why the motor would fail now. makes no sense to me.

any suggestions welcome. i'm really bummed right now. i just took a $500 loan YESTERDAY to complete the work in progress on suspension upgrades. now that money will go to finding a motor.

happy new year y'all. hope you're feeling better than i am right now.
tj

what city do you live in? or the coolest city near you

i will find what you are looking for

how far would you be willing to drive just let my know.. alot

slavage yard will ups and fex to other slavage yards that just how the do bussiness..

check at toyota for a create eng.. its probelly outragoues but its a start. to give you the ball park figure.. that you shouldnt spend more then this...

like i said if you can call around or look on craigslist i'll look for ya.. i just send ya the links.. and you can make your own chocie..

i sreached around for a 2-3 weeks on craigs list until i found my engine for my truck. take your time and make smart choices.. dont be stupid and wast your money on a new truck.. when u got one thats already paid off. for as much as a new truck cost these day you could have a yard full of yota trucks and do full rebuilds and paint jobs on every truck and still have money left over....
Old 01-02-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
what city do you live in? or the coolest city near you

i will find what you are looking for

how far would you be willing to drive just let my know.. alot

slavage yard will ups and fex to other slavage yards that just how the do bussiness..

check at toyota for a create eng.. its probelly outragoues but its a start. to give you the ball park figure.. that you shouldnt spend more then this...

like i said if you can call around or look on craigslist i'll look for ya.. i just send ya the links.. and you can make your own chocie.....

wow, mqn that is one super generous offer and I thank you vary much for it.

I am feeling a little more focused on it now that i've spent a few days searchin myself.

I'm in atlanta, so I have resources available. Right now I'm considering these options:

1. Get an insurance total loss fresh wrecked taco or 4Runner. Swap in the engine and trans together.

2. Get a short block from a 22re rebuilder like that one suggested in oregon

3. Get a jdm complete used motor from a local importer. There's like 3 here in atl metro.

I will probly have to sell my new wheel/tires and my canback to buy a motor. But those are replaceable. And don't need 33s on a trk that don't run!

I got a buddy that works with selling toyal losses,i'll talk to him monday. Maybe he can locate me a taco, 4x4 w/ rear e-locker. Ha I wish. More updates as they happen.

thx again man!
tj
Old 01-02-2010, 12:13 PM

ok here you go two rebuild cores for 100 bucks, go to this link
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/pts/1510922452.html
Old 01-02-2010, 12:14 PM

call these people
770 974 5315
www.brooksautosalvage.com

they got what your looking for
Old 01-02-2010, 12:17 PM

pick your self up a whole truck for 900.00 here at this link

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1533975416.html
Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 PM

here is the deal you have been lookng for.. 500.00 for a whole truck

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1531277225.html
Old 01-02-2010, 12:55 PM

If you need to go low buck pull out the offending piston and replace the rings.If Im not mistaken the piston will come out of the bottom with the crank in place{correct me if Im wrong}.Throw in a new ring pack and roll.Just my .02,feel free to disreguard.Good luck and get that 22re up and runnin.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:01 PM

thats possible
Old 01-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
that would be the absolute cheapest option...
Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow thx! I will investigate all these things. Never know which wiill prove to be a lucky find. I'm open to watever will be the most effective use of fundage. 500 for a veh. Sounds interestin. I gotta figure out how to copy paste and chk it now. Thx again!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nevermind.

Quick Reply: motor is toast. happy new year!